• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 258
  • Total: 258
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

I can't decide which one is better

Started by Verb, January 26, 2010, 03:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verb

Help!! I can't decide which one I prefer, I'm leaning towards the latter

This one which is edited in Photoshop:

Or this one that I put through photomatix:

Opinions please :)

Forseti

For me the second although I'm sure you could have achieved the same effect in Photoshop.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

You could have achieved the same effect in LR as well as Photoshop.
Given your earlier comments re an angry man - i would go with the second because it conveys a darker and so more menacing perspective.

Verb

I know I could have achieved the same effect in LR or Photoshop, it's just I used Photomatix to do it lol  :tup:

Thanks guys  :beer:

ABERS

Just to be awkward, the top head would have looked better on the bottom body.
The top body is too light and dominates the overall scheme of things, and the bottom head loses too much detail detail in the shadows at the left side.

Graham

For me, the second one, but I would do a square crop of the top end as I find the gent's cardigan a bit of a distraction.
               Like the pic though.   Graham.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Verb

I think you may be right Graham, thanks

SimonW

Difficult! I agree the original has too much cardigan, but take the square shot with a little more off each side and (ignoring the exposure) you get a perfect passport photo. Probably not the effect you wanted.

I've got three RAW processors - Silkypix came with the camera (Pentax), Paint Shop Pro and Adobe, and they all appear to give differing results. They all do a good job though their tools are quite different, and I can't say I prefer the results from any particular one. I've tried several times, for interest's sake, to reproduce the exact appearance of a photo "developed" in one of them with the same RAW file in one of the others, without success.

If we're voting on the originals my own preference is for the top one because it's slightly lighter.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.