• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 64
  • Total: 64
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Cherry picking and titles

Started by Reinardina, November 11, 2016, 09:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

In a 'lost' hour, I regularly go through the Random Gallery, and lift out the images that attract my attention. I often leave a comment, which makes me, I think, the most active 'commenter' of the moment. (I have a lot of lost hours these days.)

Now waiting for a delivery, which means, I'm house bound, and cannot even use the vacuum cleaner, or I won't hear the door bell. So, I'm catching up with emails and look at old photos. I know I should be editing, but that needs concentration, which I lack at the moment.

Some photos immediately jump out, and when they look interesting, I will have a closer look. Others fall into an almost 'murky blur' category, and are dismissed instantly, if they have no title that shows there's really 'something' there. This means, I may miss out on the finest photographs.

I've brought this up before, and I know a really good photograph speaks for itself, and should not need a title. However, if it is a thumbnail, it does not speak, it whispers, and is often inaudible.

Does anyone share my frustration, or can you all hear the whispers?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

I would never assume an untitled image meant it was one of good merit. If one cannot even be bothered or inspired to provide ..... Then I'm more likely to be unispired to look beyond the thumbnail

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

You can only judge a photo by looking at it full size. Thumbnails only give a very basic view, as most of the information contained in a photo is thrown away by the software producing the thumbnail, to reduce it to a small size. As for titles surely, not all photos need a title, if the subject is obvious like a car. Whether the title says car or sports car will make no difference, as by looking at the picture you can judge what it is.  :tup: 

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on November 11, 2016, 10:06:19 AM
if the subject is obvious like a car. Whether the title says car or sports car will make no difference, as by looking at the picture you can judge what it is.  :tup:

I agree. This car shot, is not this sort of photo I am talking about. It is the image, that may contain a most refined, fine art, subtle silvery moonlit seascape, which, as a thumbnail, may look like 'something in thick fog,' that I will skip, if there are plenty of other thumbnails vying for attention.

It can be a prize winning image, but I will not see it.

A title, almost any title, even 'Something in thick fog,' would probably arouse my curiosity enough, to have a closer look.

jinky

I look at the thumbnail and look large.Titles I rarely notice but if it is an intriguing one I might look even if the thumbnail does`nt impress just to see what it is about

Simple

Identical to Jinky. Only look at title if it catches my eye.

Reinardina

Jinky and Simple, when you look at the gallery, do you look at all the images, thumbnail and large, or do you make a selection?
If the latter, what makes you click on the thumbnail, to have a proper look at the large image?

This is the million dollar question, as that is what I am trying to find out: How do people decide, to look at a certain image?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.