• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 73
  • Total: 73
  • Google (2)
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Photoshop on E: Drive?

Started by Reinardina, October 14, 2011, 10:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Not quite decided yet whether or not I'll buy Photoshop, but, if I do, is there any reason I could/should not put in on my E; drive?

On my C: drive I have 54 GB free, of 148 GB.
My E: drive has 142GB free of 147 GB.

I know there's important stuff on the E: drive (even though I haven't a clue what it is), but that drive has been sitting there ever since I bought my laptop, with all that space available.

Can I? Should I? Could it cause problems? And is there anything I should do, or not do once it's on there?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Yes, you can install Photoshop on the E drive but it will still install a bit of it's self on the C drive. My guess is you have a 320gb hard disk which is split into drives C and E. The E drive is where they put the backups of Windows system files. Why not move your image files to the E drive as that would free up more space on the C drive, but anything above 10gb free space on your C drive is fine for windows. You could also move the Windows Swap file to the E drive if you wished.  ;D

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on October 14, 2011, 11:14:41 AM
Yes, you can install Photoshop on the E drive but it will still install a bit of it's self on the C drive. My guess is you have a 320GB hard disk which is split into drives C and E. The E drive is where they put the backups of Windows system files. Why not move your image files to the E drive as that would free up more space on the C drive, but anything above 10GB free space on your C drive is fine for windows. You could also move the Windows Swap file to the E drive if you wished.  ;D

Thanks OB. I do indeed have a 320 GB hard drive. I also have two external hard drives for my image files, where I regularly 'dump' the files I think I won't need for the time being. The amount of image files fluctuates therefore regularly, so I thought, if I put programmes on the 'spare' drive, I don't run the risk of filling up that particular drive with mounting numbers of pictures, and keep enough space on the C: drive to work with.

I haven't got a clue what Windows Swap files are, where to find them and how to transfer them!

stevebedder

I always go with this set up as I have found I get the best performance....

C: for OS and applications
D: (or similar letter) for temp files, swap file and data

You can move temp file location and swap file using System Properties > Advanced... (from memory)

Steve

Reinardina

Quote from: stevebedder on October 14, 2011, 06:40:38 PM
I always go with this set up as I have found I get the best performance....

C: for OS and applications
D: (or similar letter) for temp files, swap file and data

You can move temp file location and swap file using System Properties > Advanced... (from memory)

Steve

Thanks Steve.  If I used my brain, I'd move most of my images to my hard drives. It's simply laziness that I don't. Too much 'hard work' to switch the things on and transfer pictures to the laptop, or work directly on the external drive.

anglefire

Unless you have a physically different drive, there is no reason to move the swap file from where it sits as a default - the heads still have to move from whence they come from to read/write the swap file.

Good reason to have your documents on a separate disk or partician - it means that a format c: doesn't wipe your data too  ::)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

Quote from: anglefire on October 15, 2011, 11:30:28 PM
Unless you have a physically different drive, there is no reason to move the swap file from where it sits as a default - the heads still have to move from whence they come from to read/write the swap file.

Good reason to have your documents on a separate disk or partician - it means that a format c: doesn't wipe your data too  ::)

Thanks. Think I'll leave everything as it is, apart from moving more files to my external drives.
I have the (unreasonable, I know) fear of the total non-tech computer user, of changing anything at all! Doesn't mean I don't occasionally think about it though, ask questions and then decide to do ... nothing in this case.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.