• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 148
  • Total: 148
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

DCM (now PR) weekly competition

Started by Forseti, October 30, 2009, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

PRadar got a discussion point during Saturdays meet to see Abers Exhibition and it seems to have acquired a fairly general 'they've blown it' response.

For my part - i pop in occasionally to see if things are improving but i think i've lost interest. I've now adopted CC as my home site for posting pictures and forums.
Some say it's not perfect - maybe - but it has all the qualities that were needed to fix the problems being moaned about with the old DCM site.
Furthermore - and this is the important part for me - it has a forum facility that is being subscribed to by people who have a genuine desire to enjoy and improve their photography.
Yes some gentle banter goes on but you are getting none of the old 1 star battles which brought Gil Richie to prominence or the badly worded comments that saw Flake being so heavily scorned upon.

There are still pros popping in to offer help and enjoy a bit of a natter which is actually very inspiring to those who are not pros - especially when said pros can be seen arguing opposite sides of the coin.
If pros cannot agree on the best way to do something, the reason for a picture not working or the best piece of kit - it makes the less confident realise that their dilemmas are not so unusual after all.

I have submitted as many pics here as i did at DCM and even join in the competitions. More people are joining which is resulting in greater numbers of thread contributors and images being submitted - and the quality of some of those images submitted here is every bit as good as what you are seeing in the DCM POTY.

I'm happy to support this site and help make it work. If i have to i shall donate some towards the cost - and before any one jumps in with horror at the thought of paying to keep a site going - how many have 'pro' accounts with Flickr or accounts with Clikpic? It costs at least £25 for those facilities so paying a tenner a year to help keep this site going is nothing by comparision.

I'm more than happy to see a CC POTY which has critical acclaim and is supported by 'xxxxxxx' newspaper or photography magazine with prizes donated by x, y and z.
So long as it is kept under Micks control and out of the grubby hands of the accountants - this site will be what DCM site was.

So much opinion so early on a Monday morning! Gonna be an interesting week...

Mick

Quote from: picsfor on November 02, 2009, 07:36:47 AM

I've now adopted CC as my home site for posting pictures and forums.

Some say it's not perfect - maybe - but it has all the qualities that were needed to fix the problems being moaned about with the old DCM site.

Thanks guys.  Now I'm aware this site is far far from perfect, but it's those bits I'm interested in and want to address.  At some time I'll be building a new site along side this one, and want to sort some of the gripes we have with CC at the moment.  New versions of the forum software being released, and that also goes for the Gallery software.  I'm hoping these coupled together will bring us a more usable site.  :)

Still find it difficult to see why PR is still even now so disjointed, and two profiles, and not even the basic navigation in place.  People only find their Private mails by accident, and that's only if the happen to stumble upon their forum profile.  :doh:  ::)

Anyway,  Feedback in the site suggestions and ideas forum would be much appreciated, even if they can't be done now, they might be possible in a later version of the site.  All I will say, is these things take me longer to work out as I'm not a web coder, or any sort of coder.  I'm just a mere mechanic who fixes garden machinery for a living.  ???

As Dave mentioned the hosting is paid for another year, and now the site seems to be picking up there's no reason why this shouldn't continue.  Enjoy.  :tup:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Well Mick - for some one who 'is not a coder' of any sort i think you've done extremely well with this site and have some thing to be proud of.
It does what i need it to do and will let others put forward any suggestions...

Hybridphotog

Quote from: admin on November 02, 2009, 09:46:33 AM
Still find it difficult to see why PR is still even now so disjointed, and two profiles, and not even the basic navigation in place.  People only find their Private mails by accident, and that's only if the happen to stumble upon their forum profile.  :doh:  ::)
I'm surprised to see they've decided that the beta testing is almost finished. All they (or the bedroom coder) seem to have done is edit a few "no" settings to "yes", the bedroom coder seems incapable of actually dealing with source code. I'm still unable to log in, or reset my password... and I'm not particularly bothered in contacting them about this 'issue'.

This place is good enough, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Sarasocke

Quotesome of the gripes we have with CC at the moment

they must be well hidden  :D
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

Nothing of note. I remember reading some where 'site feedback' section i think where a couple of people were suggesting some improvements.
But i don't think we're talking complaints - just suggestions!

The difference between this site and DCM/ PRadar is things work in the first place - and on the odd occasion they don't or break they actually get fixed!

Imagine that - one man and his hobby succeeding where a publishing house and a bunch of 'experts' fail with ease!

Oldboy

Quote from: Hybridphotog on November 02, 2009, 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: admin on November 02, 2009, 09:46:33 AM
I'm surprised to see they've decided that the beta testing is almost finished. All they (or the bedroom coder) seem to have done is edit a few "no" settings to "yes", the bedroom coder seems incapable of actually dealing with source code. I'm still unable to log in, or reset my password... and I'm not particularly bothered in contacting them about this 'issue'.

This place is good enough, as far as I'm concerned. :)

I think they don't like criticism hence why they have removed it. Can't believe they think the site is out of beta when it's still full of bugs.  >:(

Yes CC is a great site, and I'm wondering if we will hit the 200 mark by Christmas.  :tup:

greypoint

Beta testing finished? Well folks that's obviously as good as it gets :2funny:

Mick

Quote from: Oldboy on November 02, 2009, 11:38:29 PM

Yes CC is a great site, and I'm wondering if we will hit the 200 mark by Christmas.  :tup:

Well we nearly made it, only three short.  :doh:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

greypoint

Quote from: admin on December 24, 2009, 08:47:59 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on November 02, 2009, 11:38:29 PM

Yes CC is a great site, and I'm wondering if we will hit the 200 mark by Christmas.  :tup:

Well we nearly made it, only three short.  :doh:

...and in spite of having fewer members, if you ask a question here you usually get more than the same three helpful people answering plus the 'funny' one you get at PR....

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.