• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 172
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 173
  • Total: 173
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

1Dx Mk3

Started by anglefire, February 29, 2020, 09:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

I went into the Birmingham branch of WEX last Sunday - and some one (just a punter!) had one which I had a quick play with. I'd seen the hype before it was released and originally decided that it really was a lot of money and didn't want one. Well. The auto focus is simply incredible. Live view (Which on my 1Dx doesn't focus as such it has to drop the mirror up down and AF then return to live view) is so so quick - focus in the general area of a face and it finds the eye and locks on. Like a limpet. More the camera (or subject!) and it follows it. As quick as you like, It still remains locked on.
OVF (Optical view finder!) is similar though doesn't lock the eye (I don't think!) but does the face or what ever the point of focus is and stays with it.

The silent mode in live view is, well, lets be honest slow video - 20fps slow with full AF in that time.

It is so impressive that I've traded my old 1D3 in for it (Got next to bugger all for it :( but did get a £500 bonus so made it slightly less painful!) And WEX are doing 2 years interest free credit (Parks I think are doing 1 year)  so have gone down that route - might as well!

The bad news is that I have no idea when it arrives. The Canon shop is saying 2nd April - which I find hard to believe with the Photo show in the NEC happening mid March where they are going to surely have a few at least for sale?  In truth I could cope with it being 2nd April - but not the 3rd unless it arrives early - because I go to Morocco for 2 weeks on an off road trip!

So, once again, I'm a lucky boy with a fabulous understanding wife!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Are you sure she isn't consulting a lawyer!  :2funny:

Enjoy your new camera.  :tup:

Jediboy

Understanding wives are the best! (I only have one!!)
Enjoy your new camera.  :tup:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

Sh'e more Pee'd off with the fact that I'm off to Morocco for 2 weeks without her and get back and could be working away from home for upto a couple of weeks.

This all assumes that Covid-19 doesn't put paid to anything! Including delivery of the camera.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

Where abouts in Morocco?
Spent 4 days in Marrakech a couple of years ago. Amazing place but very different.

I took the wife for her birthday.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

anglefire

We are going from the port at Tangier med as we are coming over the ferry and then down to Kara Timnay, through Jaffa Gorge pass a Volcano (Used in James Bond film) Desert Erg Chebbi and several other places - but not Marrakech - its a little too far off our route to go.

We will be doing some really high climbs (9600') as well as the desert. And probably the two most difficult tracks in Morocco - though I've seen video of the one and I've done a lot worse!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

This I have said elsewhere that I have had the camera for a few weeks now - but only been able to use it in the garden - not sure taking it out to the park is going to curry favour with the starzi out there moaning that it should be a walk and not a photo opertunity.

Anyway, the other day I was trying to take some pictures of a hoverfly - or something similar and managed to get a few shots and strung them together as a video - note these are stills, not video! I was pretty impressed with the auto focus to be honest.

Link to the video on YouTube is here:

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Can't see anything Mark. Have another go?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

Its odd - the link exists - and on one browser it works if you accept the secure and unsecure content - but Edge doesn't give the option!

The link is [youtube]https://youtu.be/sHhGEpcraWM[/youtube]

But when posted in the message its blank - though the space for the frame exists!

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Good pictures of the Hoverfly. They have a habit of flying off whilst you are trying to focus on them. It's best to find a beam of light as they stay still in that. I've got a photo of a Swift just about to devour one.  :tup:

anglefire

The autofocus did a stunning job OB - just kept locked on. Trouble I found is that they always hovered facing the other way!

Swift about to eat one would be a great capture!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Very good Mark. Although at that price I would expect the camera to make sure the insects were always facing the right way!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on April 30, 2020, 07:57:11 AM
Very good Mark. Although at that price I would expect the camera to make sure the insects were always facing the right way!

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.