• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkII

Started by anglefire, January 05, 2010, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Canon have just announced the replacement to the 70-200mm f2.8L IS

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Image_Stabilization_Lenses/EF_70-200mm_f_f2.8L_IS_II_USM/index.asp

Bets on the cost!

Mine is about £2.4K - about the same as the Nikon  :o
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on January 05, 2010, 09:38:54 PM
Canon have just announced the replacement to the 70-200mm f2.8L IS

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Image_Stabilization_Lenses/EF_70-200mm_f_f2.8L_IS_II_USM/index.asp

Bets on the cost!

Mine is about £2.4K - about the same as the Nikon  :o

The Nikon is £1,999.00.  ;D

anglefire

Is that street or RRP?

According to PR, the RRP is £2800 - the old ones RRP is about £2400.

Street for the old one is £1600 or so.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

hssutton

With an RRP of £2,799.99. I think I'll pass.

Harry

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on January 05, 2010, 10:10:13 PM
Is that street or RRP?

According to PR, the RRP is £2800 - the old ones RRP is about £2400.

Street for the old one is £1600 or so.

That's the price Jessops have it at. Grays of Westminister have it at £1,850 and Mifsuds are the same as Jessops. Morris Photo have it at £1,714.95.  ;D

oRGie

Wonder what that will do to the second hand price of the mk1, could be interesting :)

picsfor

Looks to me like they've taken the technology from the f4 IS 70-200 and put it into the f2.8 IS 70-200.
Given how the price of the 1D Mk IV has gone through the roof, i can't think Canon would pass up the opportunity to hike up the price of this 'new technology'.

Unfortunately for them - my f4 IS model works a dream on my 5D MkII, also wildlife and sports are not my main choice of photographic subject.

£2.5k would buy me a 100-400 f4/5.6 IS USM L lens + a 7D body with grip and batteries which would just about complete my kit needs for quite some time by providing that second body (of an action variety if needed) plus the focal range that is currently missing from my lens choice.

minky_monkey

I`m looking at selling both my 70-200 f4 IS and my 100-400mm, and then buying a 70-200 2.8 with a 1.4 converter. As I find doing footy games I`m struggling the the light at f4.

However, the mk II is significantly overpriced at the moment so I won`t be doing anything soon!

anglefire

Unless your desperate for the 70mm end - I would heartedly recommend the Sigma 100-300 f2.8 EX - would be slightly longer than the 70-200 with the 1.4 converter - and would be 2.8 throughout. You could get one from Flash Camera on ebay (Ian Kerr runs it and will deal direct) for a lot less than the UK price.

AF speed would be quicker than the 70-200 with the 1.4 converter - and I guess similar to it without.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.