• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Lightroom Keywording Tip

Started by Oly Paul, December 03, 2009, 10:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oly Paul

Thought I would pass on this tip about hierarchical keywording to those LR users that may not know about it as it is a great time saver as well a solving the problem of having your keyword box over cluttered with to many keywords. Those that already know can ignore it. :)

If you arrange your keywords hierarchicaly within each other then for example as shown here, if you type in the keyword blue tit.

Just blue tit appears in the keyword box but all the keywords that are  hierarchicaly arranged above it in the keyword list are also added to the image.

In this case Nature, Wildlife, Animal, Bird, are added as keywords as well as blue tit just by adding the keyword blue tit.

Regards Paul
One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

picsfor

that was the next part of LR i was about to learn.

Thanks for the tip - as you say - could save bucket loads of time
I do try and add the basic ones in when downloading files nowadays but typing them in or searching for them and clicking to add can be the most mind numbing part of the process.

Forseti

Nice Oly - now kindly explain how to 'arrange your keywords hierarchicaly' in the first place.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Oly Paul

Quote from: Forseti on December 03, 2009, 11:43:58 AM
Nice Oly - now kindly explain how to 'arrange your keywords hierarchicaly' in the first place.

If you are starting from scatch then the first time you enter a keyword for the example shown you would type blue tit>bird>animal>wildlife>nature after that initial entering just typing blue tit enters the rest.

If you have already keyworded individualy then drag and dropping them into  the hierarchical keyword stucture you want in the key list is the way to go, just make sure the last keyword in the structure is the one you intend to apply for them all. In this case typing in blue tit applies them all but typing bird would apply only bird and those above it.

The only let down to doing it after the fact is that all the keywords applied indidvidualy still show in the small keyword box but you can delete them from there as long as you leave the last one in the hierarchical list there. yuo can still veiw all the keywords added in that box by selecting keywords and  containing keywords from the drop down list.

LR is vey clever and if like me you would use girl>kid>child  but also like to use girl to describe a young woman as well like so girl>woman , then when you type girl LR will give a choice between selecting girl>kid or girl>woman.  Hope that helps you. :)
Regards Paul

Forseti

Excellent, thank you.  :tup: By the way, I'm wearing my Christmas outfit as of today - hope you like it.  :-* :2funny:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Oly Paul

Quote from: Forseti on December 03, 2009, 02:41:40 PM
Excellent, thank you.  :tup: By the way, I'm wearing my Christmas outfit as of today - hope you like it.  :-* :2funny:

Your welcome ,and yes I noticed the festive avitar, but I had got rather attached to the pretty blonde girl avitar.  ;)
Regards Paul

picsfor

Quote from: Oly Paul on December 03, 2009, 03:33:52 PM
Quote from: Forseti on December 03, 2009, 02:41:40 PM

Your welcome ,and yes I noticed the festive avitar, but I had got rather attached to the pretty blonde girl avitar.  ;)
And for the new year we will get a grey haired old man  :D
Keywording skills down for next Tuesday - so don't remove this thread before then please  :tup:

SimonW

Me too Oly. After a while one gets to believe that members look like their avatars.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

Quote from: SimonW on December 03, 2009, 04:00:40 PM
Me too Oly. After a while one gets to believe that members look like their avatars.

what you mean you think i look like a cartoon horse?  :-\

Forseti

Darn it, I was just about to ask more or less the same question.  :-*

SimonW

Perhaps it's more that in this virtual world I imagine that the cartoon horse is making the postings.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

I've changed it now to a more closer resemblance to myself.
That of course won't change the intellectual nature of my contributions  ::)

Forseti

picsfor

Yeah - you're right.
Even my singing would be the same!
I'm gonna change it again for the new year.

What a clever video though. Reminds me it's time to get that "Greatest Xmas Hits' out for its annual airing.
12 years old and it still contains the greatest xmas hits! And not a Cliff Richard to heard any where  :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.