• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 125
  • Total: 125
  • Google
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Camera / lens got the jitters!

Started by jinky, February 22, 2011, 04:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

My 6 month old 16-35 F4 vr Nikon lens started dancing when I switched the D700 on with it mounted yesterday. Audible knocking noises and the image in viewfinder jitters for a short time before settling down and working normally. I`ve now tried it on my D80 and same outcome so seems to be the lens. Any ideas what causes this? It`s under warranty so will be going in either via Warehouse Express or straight to Nikon but not sure how to decsribe the fault and how long Nikon keep these jobs for as I have no back up for this lens length. So much for me buying the dearer quality lens. Not had any malfunction with my siggy and tamron  :(

Jonathan

Yeah sometimes the VR mechanism can freak out.

IIRC Nikon say it can happen if you turn the camera off while the VR is active.  There may be other reasons  too.

Personally I'd leave it and see if it happens again - if it does then get it straight in.
It's Guest's round

jinky

Thanks Jonathan. Yes II suspect the VR is at fault too. Tried it on my D80 a few times now and same each time. I had not switched it off while active and it happened on switching on the D700 after mounting it. Anyway WExpress are picking it up Friday now so will have to do without it for a while. :'(

Oldboy

Have that sometimes with my 70-200mm F2.8 VR plus 1.4 converter, but think it's the contacts on the converter that's the problem. If it happens again try twisting the lens, as it usually sorts the problem. The last few weeks have been using it without the converter and haven't had a problem yet.  :tup:

Graham

Yup. Like Oldboy, I had it a couple of times using a converter (Nikon 2x ) when trying to focus closer than the lens was capable. I seem to remember there was a warning about it in the Intsruction manuen thing.
                            Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

Yes but this is just with the 16-35 mounted at any focal length o switch on with both the D80 and D700.Just worried it may go further wrong beyond warranty or I`d live with it but they will collect Friday so just do without it for a while. I`ve tried twisting it on and off repeatedly with no difference. Ah well  >: :(

Graham

I could'nt live with the thought of my gear letting me down when I need it most (That's why I chose Nikon! :legit:)
   Get it back to Nikon and let them sort it.
                      Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.