• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

POLL for FLOWERS- weekly comp 7-14/09

Started by Hinfrance, September 16, 2014, 09:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote for your favourite FLOWER picture

Blue:

3 (17.6%)
Poppies:

3 (17.6%)
End of the Rose:

1 (5.9%)
Magnolia Bud:

2 (11.8%)
Bill's Best Rose:

0 (0%)
Mallow - Purple Rain:

1 (5.9%)
Inside the Lily:

4 (23.5%)
Lilium Candidum:

3 (17.6%)
Blue Hydrangea:

0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 20, 2014, 09:29:53 AM

DigiDiva

Pleased u mentioned that.  I have issues with the brightness of images. If I use netbbook, depending on angle of screen depends on darkness of image. If I use my mac it looks fine. I have calibrated the screen. When I view on work pc they look darker again. Any suggestions anyone?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Mac screens have brighter gamma as a default, so that rather like the increased (bluer) colour temperature on most LED/LCD televisions they draw the eye. So although your Mac screen is calibrated it may very well be brighter than other screens. With your netbook the screen is probably not that bright at the best of times, and the viewing angle is going to be critical - make sure your are looking at it square on.

A quick critique of your winning image: to my way of thinking it is just a bit dull - rather flat, lacking in contrast and with the DOF too narrow at the base of the filaments for my taste. The histogram is quite left shifted, not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but does tend to show it could do with being a bit brighter. The other thing I am not keen on is the grey vignette. I wonder if it would have been better with a white one instead? That would increase the overall image brightness and provide more contrast.

My vote went to Oldboy, even though he cut the base of the bloom off  ::) - I thought it was a good dynamic monochrome. Not as good as mine, obviously, but a nice try.  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Quote from: DigiDiva on September 20, 2014, 06:18:27 PM
Happy to receive critique about my image if anyone would like to give some.

The bluish vignetting does it no favours, but a different view of a flower is welcome. Not like an image that would be seen in a gardening or seed catalogue, so well done for that. :tup:

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: DigiDiva on September 20, 2014, 06:18:27 PM
Happy to receive critique about my image if anyone would like to give some.

While quite an appealing image, the vignette effect fights with my eyes on the righthand side, and the most excitingly lit element in the image (namely the highlight area within the petal detail on the left) distracts from the general focal point of the image (attained through the rule of thirds). Perhaps a little wet edge highlighting on a stamen or two is needed towards obtaining a more comfortable overall balance.

At first glance the dullness in image made me think about those awful  dust covered plastic flowers used in many a foyer!
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

DigiDiva

Thanks all - will take this on board. Wet edge highlighting? Please explain what you mean - do you literally mean highlighting a wet edge or is it a techy term? Tried googling - nothing

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: DigiDiva on September 21, 2014, 10:58:42 AM
Thanks all - will take this on board. Wet edge highlighting? Please explain what you mean - do you literally mean highlighting a wet edge or is it a techy term? Tried googling - nothing

It's a Andy term of phrase Chris; meaning 'Carefully placed, fine dodge and burning' (to add a glistening to specific areas) underlining that it is a living or fresh flower.

In a studio setup, carefully applying a little water here and there to catch the light, can make cut flowers look as though they are still growing in their natural state.    ;)

Out of interest; Why did you choose to add the vignette?

DigiDiva

Wet edge highlighting - I need an example - can anyone post an example yere?

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: DigiDiva on September 21, 2014, 01:09:50 PM
Wet edge highlighting - I need an example - can anyone post an example yere?

As I said Chris, 'wet edge highlighting' is a term of phrase I personally use to describe the fine details of, Highlight and Contrasting areas, that allow the viewer to determine things like Translucence, Moist or Wet Surfaces etc.

Without the highlights and contrasts on the stem supporting the Cuckoo Spit it might look quite dead!

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 21, 2014, 10:30:39 AM
My vote went to Oldboy, even though he cut the base of the bloom off  ::) - I thought it was a good dynamic monochrome. Not as good as mine, obviously, but a nice try.  :legit:

:-[  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.