• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 261
  • Total: 261
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Filters, anyone use them

Started by Trickee, August 01, 2009, 08:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickee

Does anyone use filters? i have used a polariser in the past with film but not yet with digital.

bones615

I have a uv on all my lenses just for protection, also have a set of close up filters & have toyed with the idea of getting an ND filter for those moving water shots. Tried a polarizer but was not keen on the results, skies looked too blue & fake.

Alfonso_Frisk

i have a few different filters both screw in and square.
mainly use the ND grads (nd2, 4 and 8 ) with the siggy 10-20 when there are some nice clouds around. Had varying results but thats down to my inexperience/ability
Have a UV on all lenses for protection mainly and have played with some square coloured filters such as orange, tobacco and greens but hated the results.
Also have a B+W 25% screw in grad on my 70-300vr lens which has given some nice results.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Trickee

apart from lens protection what does the UV filter do to your pictures?

Oldboy

Quote from: Trickee on August 01, 2009, 10:00:25 AM
apart from lens protection what does the UV filter do to your pictures?
It cuts out heat haze, not something we had here this year!  >:(

greypoint

I've got a polariser that fortunately fits my 17-70mm - don't bother with other filters tho.

anglefire

I have some ND grads - but not really used them. I did buy a UV for my 24-105 - but have taken it off some time ago as I felt it was affecting the IQ.

As I tend not to through my gear about, I don't worry about the front element - although I do use the hoods on all bar 1 lens (It hasn't got one - and thinking about it, that is the nifty fifty which I have on loan from a friend and that does have a UV)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Eileen

I keep a protective filter on all my lenses. I have managed to scratch this once while clambering down a steep slope and I was very glad that it wasn't my lens! Like Mark I would normally have the lens hood on but for some reason didn't at that point.
I use polarisers to cut glare, and sometimes to deepen colours. And I have used ND grads a few times and been very happy with the results.
I'm beginning to sound like a filter junkie!

Oldboy

Don't put filters on any of my lenses but do put the hood on. With the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 and fixed hood, can't use any filters of any type anyway. Usually carry them with me but seldom use.  ;D

Trickee

Thank you for all your replies, they tell me that at the moment i would have little use for filters, but in time i will probably invest in some grads and have a crack at some serious landscape and seascape shots. :tup:

Mick

I use a skylight filter on most of my lenses, just for front element protection.  Also have a couple of polarisers.  Don't use any filters on my Bigma, as I can't afford them, lol...   Just have to be careful not to scratch the lens on that one.

I take it with any filter that enhances / changes colours, you would use a manual or preset white balance setting rather than auto?
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

anglefire

I can't see any point in using colour changing filters on a digital cam - too easy to do in post - but yes, if you were, you'd have to do either a custom WB without the filter, or use a preset - otherwise, as yousay AWB with compensate (Or try to!)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Chris P

Like most people have already said, I have a UV filter on all of my lenses.

I also have a circular polariser and some ND grads as well, although only relatively cheap ones (Kood & Hitech/Formatt).
I like ND grads, although they take practice.  I found that's it's not as easy as just strapping them onto the front of the lens and thuming away at the shutter release.  In fact. I quite like that about them.  They make me concentrate more on the scene and I spend more time looking and setting up the shot rather than just snapping away.  Same is true for my 35mm prime.

Spiritflier

I'm surprised there's not many people using ND's. I wouldn't be without mine and they save an awful lot of faffing about... Especially for landscapes! I don't generally use UV or skylights 'cos it's a layer of glass that can and does deteriorate the image quality unless you want to pay silly money for a top-of-the-line version (which I should do really).  ;)

I'm about to upgrade my Cokin P series grads for a set of Lee's. Wouldn't mind the Singh-Ray double grad but at about £200, I think I'll leave it.

Don't forget that the true effect of a neutral density graduated filter (along with polarisers) can't be replicated in photoshop... If the grad's there in the first place, there's a good chance the exposure will be right in camera (which saves us all from having to HDR every landscape shot!)  :)

Chris P

Everyone always says that UV filters can cause degradation on image quality and the
logic is generally impeccable.  Thing is, though, I tested my 18-105VR shooting the same focus test chart with and without my very cheap (7 day shop) UV filter and couldn't see any differences. 

I'm sure that UV filters can cause affect image quality, I just can't see it under relatively controlled conditions

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.