• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 137
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 140
  • Total: 140
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

New generation of digital camera?

Started by happypaddler, October 22, 2011, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happypaddler

Hi all,

Not been around for a while... lots of work on. I just came across the Lytro camera http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20122734-264/lytro-unveils-radical-new-camera-design/ - it's a bit different to the conventional camera. Do we think this is the next generation or fad?

spinner

I'll go with Fad, it looks a bit awkward to handle. If it catches on a little bit, the technology might get adapted by the big boys but don't most of us use DSLR's because of the range of options the numerous settings give us?
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

stevebedder

I cant make my mind up on this, seems a nifty bit of kit but not sure about the post-processing. It takes the skill out of getting the shot correct in camera.

Having a play with the "Living Pictures" on Lytros website is kind of fun and pretty impressive (from a software point of view) but it brings photography down to two clicks - once for the shot, once in software to get the focal point you actually want.

I guess it will be someones cup of tea but not sure I can see it being mine at the moment.

:legit:

Paul Montgomery

I'm cynical about any tech that you can buy now, but won't be available until next year ...

mondmagu

Hmmmmmmm............it's very hard to judge from an article and no shipment until 2012???? That puts a doubt in my mind straight away.If it does come to fruition I think it will be a niche market.

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Jonathan

Well for a product using cutting edge light field technology them haven't half made a bunch of rookie mistakes with their camera.

1. Ergonomics?   What ergonomics?  I understand the desire to make it look unlike a camera but I'd like it to be like something I can hold.

2. "Storage Type   - Internal flash drive."  Srsly?  With SDHC now being really mature tech?  Is that so they can charge an extra $100 for the red one?

3. "Light Field Resolution   11 Megarays: the number of light rays captured by the light field sensor." Or one whole metric tonne of mumbo jumbo.

4. "It is built for Mac OS and requires Mac OS X 10.6 or higher. A Windows application is in development.".  <snigger> usually I comment that people do this the other way round but since this is clearly aimed at the consumer market some would call that decision brave.  To be clear - early adopters will not be able to view or edit any pictures on a PC.

5. "Light Field Engine   Version 1.0" as in "never buy version 1.....or x.0".  They could have told us it was 2.7b....

6. "Display   1.46 in" - about the size of a CF card.  You tap on this screen to set exposure.  Or most likely don't.

It's interesting tech and I'm impressed how quickly they claim to be getting to market (light field tech was only announced a couple of months ago) but very very few people will buy v1.  And unless it's amazing then they will struggle to get capital for v2.  Their best hope is that Apple or Nokia buy the tech for phones.

It's Guest's round

Graham

Looks a bit like a £4.50 security camera from Maplins.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Interesting article here - http://www.nikondigital.org/content/content/introducing-lytro-will-it-make-your-camera-dinosaur

Especially where they compare it to the Foveon.  As in "Oh yeah what, whatever happened to the Foveon....?"
It's Guest's round

picsfor

i reckon it'll be out just in time to equip the next generation of "don't want to pay for anything" wedding togs...  :-X

And little Johnny will process them in his year 2 technology classes  :D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.