• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 142
  • Total: 142
  • Bingbot
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Setting the Poll.

Started by Reinardina, February 26, 2013, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

On several occasions in the past I have managed to set the poll after winning the weekly competition.

This morning I couldn't get it right.
Tried it twice.

The first time I:

Right clicked the entry, clicked 'properties,' copied the url and pasted it in the poll, between [img]image brackets[img].
Result: the name of the entry and the complete code of the picture, but no picture.

The second time I:

Copied the BBCode from the gallery, and pasted it in the poll, between [img]brackets[img].
Result: The name of the entry and an empty 'picture frame' with a red cross.

The second method I have used successfully in the past, and it is only now, that I seem to remember I removed something from the code. Was it the letters html?

Also, in the past I could see what I was doing as I had a 'preview' and a 'post' button. So after two lines I could experiment a bit, if it wasn't coming out as it should.
Now I only had a 'save' button, so I posted two incomplete polls and had to remove them afterwards.

As I was in a hurry to get to my appointment, I had no time for further experiments, and H kindly set the poll for me.
Thanks again Howard.

Don't know if this can have anything to do with it but, I use the 'dark theme' of the site, and the pc I used this morning has IE9.

Can someone please tell me where I went wrong?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Just paste the code as you describe then add br in square brackets at the start of the code.  :tup:

donoreo

Stop winning, problem solved  :legit:

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on February 26, 2013, 05:50:51 PM
Just paste the code as you describe then add br in square brackets at the start of the code.  :tup:

Never done that before, but I'll try to remember.

Is it better to get the code from the gallery or the properties?

And why didn't I have a 'preview' button? That would have made things easier, as I could've experimented.

Quote from: donoreo on February 26, 2013, 07:29:58 PM

You've got a perverted perspective Don. I have to win more often, to get used to the system.

Mick

R, there's a sticky post in the weekly comp board that has the instructions http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.0#axzz2M2RD7jwz

Now I'm not sure if the routine has changed since, as it's been a while since I've set one up  :-[  Maybe one of the regular poll setters would like to do a new tutorial, covering the process step by step.  :idea:  :legit:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on February 26, 2013, 08:25:00 PM
R, there's a sticky post in the weekly comp board that has the instructions http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.0#axzz2M2RD7jwz

Now I'm not sure if the routine has changed since, as it's been a while since I've set one up  :-[  Maybe one of the regular poll setters would like to do a new tutorial, covering the process step by step.  :idea:  :legit:

I see now I forgot the / with the 'img' at the end of the code, and OB pointed out I had to put br in front of it.
I'll get there in the end, if I've got time.

Any idea why I didn't have a 'preview' button? That would have helped too.

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on February 26, 2013, 09:11:58 PM

Yep, you need the / in the end image tag. [img]image address [/img]

The preview, I don't think there is one, not for the actual poll.  You just post it, and if it's wrong, you should see a edit poll button, so you can go back and make adjustments.  ;)

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on February 26, 2013, 09:24:43 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on February 26, 2013, 09:11:58 PM

Yep, you need the / in the end image tag. [img]image address [/img]

The preview, I don't think there is one, not for the actual poll.  You just post it, and if it's wrong, you should see a edit poll button, so you can go back and make adjustments.  ;)

One of the last polls I managed to get up properly, did have a preview button. After putting in the first entry, I clicked it, to see if the picture was showing and it told me, I had to enter at least two lines to make it a poll.

I'm almost 100% sure it wasn't the official 'post' button.

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on February 27, 2013, 07:41:48 AM

One of the last polls I managed to get up properly, did have a preview button. After putting in the first entry, I clicked it, to see if the picture was showing and it told me, I had to enter at least two lines to make it a poll.

I'm almost 100% sure it wasn't the official 'post' button.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure if you select the New poll option it creates a new topic with a poll included, you'll get a preview button, but that will only let you preview the topic post that goes with it, and not the actual poll.

If however, you add a poll to an existing thread, then you won't get a preview button at all.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Hinfrance

When I did the poll yesterday I stuck it on the entries thread - a bit lazy really - Mick is right, it is better to do it as a new thread entirely.

What I try to do is:

1. Go to forum/international weekly comp entries and click 'new poll' (on the right hand side)
2. Enter the title and then the question 'please vote for your favourite . . '
3. Now open another browser window and tile them side by side, so you can see both
4. In the new window open weekend competition album
5. Click on the image that you are adding to the poll and select and copy the bottom BB code (BB Code full size)
    5a. If the image is not in the weekly competition album, go the site home page and click on the image in the gallery previews below the Image Of The Week to see the BB code
6. Type in the image title followed by (br), in square not curved brackets; then paste the BB code followed by two more (br)s (square brackets again - this just puts a couple of blank lines in so the pictures are not all stacked up on top of each other)
7. Repeat 5. and 6. until you have all the images for the poll listed
8. Mark 'run the poll for' as 4 days
9. Click the radar button to show results after someone has voted
10. Repeat the poll question 'please vote for your favourite . . ' in the thread text box
11. Click 'post' and hope for the best :)

I think that's about it, although I can't guarantee I haven't completely forgotten something  :doh:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

That`s what I do too H - covers it perfectly I`d say  ;)

Reinardina

I did most of it right, but that didn't get me where I wanted to be.
I'll print this off.

Thanks H.

donoreo

I never wrote that.  Honestly, I did not.   Going to change my password now. 
EDIT: I am an idiot.  I did, I just cannot read.  I thought it said whining, not winning.   I was of course horrified that everyone would have thought I was being a jerk.  Now I just look like a fool.  Oh well :)

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on February 27, 2013, 02:44:48 PM
I never wrote that.  Honestly, I did not.   Going to change my password now. 
EDIT: I am an idiot.  I did, I just cannot read.  I thought it said whining, not winning.   I was of course horrified that everyone would have thought I was being a jerk.  Now I just look like a fool.  Oh well :)

I'll stop whining Don.  (I already stopped winning.)

You think you  just look like a fool???  ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.