• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 156
  • Total: 156
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat Thread for Weekly Competition 9th - 15th September 2013. "Family"

Started by SimonW, September 08, 2013, 04:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

The theme for this week's comp is "Family". This is the CHAT tread.

I thought a people challenge would make a change. Maybe a portrait of your own family - perhaps with yourself included, or a street candid for example.
However, if you find people too difficult we'll allow any subject which somehow depicts a family relationship.

No restrictions on post processing, but try not to overdo it.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 9th September to 23:59pm Sunday 15th September 2013.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 16th September 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 17th until Friday 20th September.
Winner to be announced Saturday 21st September.

The Rules for the weekly competition are:-

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

It'll have to be someone else's family for me.

Daughter just left after a week here, but she absolutely hates to be photographed. Did some sneaky ones of course, but no 'proper' shot.

I'll come up with something though. Only hope we'll get some dry weather as families tend to hide indoors if it is too wet!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

kerbside

Reinardina,

Family can also relate to a group of animals, plants, language as in Italian/Spanish being in the "Romance family of languages", I expect there are a lot more but can't think of any at the moment.

I for one hate doing portraits so will be looking, if poss: for a different angle on this subject.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Reinardina

Quote from: kerbside on September 08, 2013, 10:24:41 PM
Reinardina,

Family can also relate to a group of animals, plants, language as in Italian/Spanish being in the "Romance family of languages", I expect there are a lot more but can't think of any at the moment.

I for one hate doing portraits so will be looking, if poss: for a different angle on this subject.

Didn't think of that, my brain is still not quite back to normal. Simon did mention people though.

I normally don't 'do' portraits, but I have done quite a few candid families over the summer holidays. May have to try and find a few more.

ABERS

I leave family snapshots to my daughters. I feel 'family' type pictures are personal, not for widespread distribution.

Kerbside rightly points out 'family' has a much wider connotation than the one that immediately springs to mind and can be applied to a wide spectrum of associations.

e.g Apples, apparently there are over 7000 types of apple grown around the world, some family! :o

Hickory nuts and Walnuts belong to the same family

Will we see some fruity family pictures or just nutty ones? ???

SimonW

I wanted to encourage everyone to try a People shot, but I know it can be difficult - it will be for me. Thank you Abers and Kerbside for expanding my "get-out clause" which I hope will keep the entry numbers up.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

I'm a hypocrite. I don't put my own (closest) family on line, but have done cousins. I have, however,  no qualms 'shooting' other people.
Sometimes portrait style, if they ask to be photographed, but mainly candids. And always 'on the hoof,' where I happen to be, with no preparation whatsoever.

Hinfrance

I'd already expanded the idea of family to include the wider definition, as we do not do internet pictures of our little family, and, of course, for we France dwellers we have the law to contend with as far as pictures of any other individuals are concerned - for all practical purposes it is no longer legally possible to post pictures of other people on the web.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on September 09, 2013, 09:17:12 AM
I'd already expanded the idea of family to include the wider definition, as we do not do internet pictures of our little family, and, of course, for we France dwellers we have the law to contend with as far as pictures of any other individuals are concerned - for all practical purposes it is no longer legally possible to post pictures of other people on the web.

How do the papers get round publishing pictures of calamities, events (fairs, sport matches) etc? Or is the printed press exempt?

Hinfrance

The law says that images of public figures, ie politicians, sportmen, actors etc, can be published if they are going about their professional business. Pictures of some specific types of people taking part in public displays may also be published, as can a street photo as long as there is either 1) no single identifiable person in it, or 2) the person included is deemed to be incidental to the image. You can argue with the lawyers about that if you want to. Otherwise you need specific written permission of the individual involved.

The press is not exempt, so if for example there is a car crash they can only publish pictures of the emergency services going about there business, but not of the victims. Obviously pictures not taken on French soil are completely exempt, hence the plethora of celebrity magazines concentrating on US and UK celebs.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

What an awful system.

Mind you, the British public seems to be totally immersed in the adoration of chelebs. You can't get away from them. Even the serious press pay lip service. It's sickening.

kerbside

TBH I would never put pictures of anyone on the internet without asking first especially if it involves young people.

I think, as someone mentioned family pictures are a personal thing this is also my opinion hence I don't do them, should be fun this week and diverse with any luck.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

SimonW

It took me some time to think about what I wanted to do, and then more to pluck up courage to ask a neighbouring couple to pose, but I'm glad I did. They really enjoyed looking at their old album.

I did have some other ideas: one involving a family tree, and on Saturday my son is due to perform in his pipe band, which he regards as his second family. However, I've decided to enter my first attempt:-

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

jinky

Up in Newcastle yesterday so took the opportunity to try some more hand shots of baby Joseph and his mum as my last attempts were mixed as he kept moving! This was about the best and helped keep them anonymous  :)

Just realised I`ve entered this but will be away in South Africa with limited internet access probably so in the unlikely event... will someone stand in please  ;)

Reinardina

I'm happy to stand in, if you PM the next challenge. Will you be back in time for the poll, or shall I do that too?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.