• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 246
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 248
  • Total: 248
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Loose rubber grip

Started by Alfonso_Frisk, June 29, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfonso_Frisk

A section of the rubber protection on my D200 is starting to come away from the body just underneath where the front adjustment wheel is.
What glue would be best to stick this back  down ?
I tried a little glue from a puncture repair kit but this aint doing the job.
A bit reluctant to use super glue.
I'm off on a shoot in a fishing boat on monday so want all stuck down and as best water/salt tight by then.
TIA
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

jinky

The usual Nikon problem because of this green world we live in. The glue they use now is eco friendly and loses stickiness. My rear rubber came adrift and I was able to order one from Nikon fo around £4 posted - have`nt even got around to putting it on yet as I await a total fail. Front rubber going too now and I thought cheap again maybe - £30 + so not ordered yet. I too was wary of superglue and tried other solvents but none worked, including the silicone tip someone gave. I`ll be biting the bullet and waiting for both to fail then taking off residue as they suggest and sticking on new ones as the problem is that not only does the rubber unstick but it usually stretches too and makes a loose fit if you go the superglue way which limits repair access to innards.

Beaux Reflets

:idea: Would a good quality double sided tape work? There are some really tough ones used for flooring that hold vinyl down pretty well in bathrooms  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

I use one of Henkel's hybrid glues for stuff like sticking down covering when I am doing up (restoring is far too strong a word ;) ) my old cameras. Seems to work well enough. But then they don't get handled much afterwards.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

That`s the trouble - the handling after. Down to stretching the rubber and grease / sweat in hands.

Hinfrance

I thought Nikon's were supposed to be quality  :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 30, 2013, 10:43:36 AM
Naughty step, now! :knuppel2:

Anyway. I would be inclined to use bog standard Evostick contact adhesive. Lightly smear both surfaces, wedge surfaces apart with something appropriate (Inside of a Biro, blacksmiths anvil, that sort of thing.)
until touch dry, press together, job done.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 30, 2013, 10:43:36 AM

Well mine are.  :P

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on June 29, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
A section of the rubber protection on my D200 is starting to come away from the body just underneath where the front adjustment wheel is.
What glue would be best to stick this back  down ?
I tried a little glue from a puncture repair kit but this aint doing the job.
A bit reluctant to use super glue.
I'm off on a shoot in a fishing boat on monday so want all stuck down and as best water/salt tight by then.
TIA

Not sure what you guys do but haven't had this problem with my D200 and it's been wet on many occasions.  :o

jinky

Nothing to do with mistreatment / getting wet. Well known issue with the eco friendly glue Nikon moved to and the reaction of sweat / rubber and glue used. Can vary from person to person depending on the chemistry but google it and you`ll see it`s not an isolated issue. Doesn`t bother me particularly. I`ve one replacement rubber an d never got around to replacing it yet as in heat / using it a lot it sometimes sticks back.

Markulous

Quote from: Graham on June 30, 2013, 12:19:41 PM
Anyway. I would be inclined to use bog standard Evostick contact adhesive.

:tup:
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Peachy

My D300s has gone the same way as has the rubber ring on my lens. I thought it was my fault as I wear a lot of hand cream. :)
Twitter PeachLaneStudio
Facebook www.facebook.com/PeachLaneStudios

Gear: Nikon D300s, D90, D80, Canon G9 Lencarta studio flashes

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with mustard

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.