• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Insects in the car...

Started by happypaddler, October 16, 2009, 12:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happypaddler

Not a photography question, but as there is a group of knowledgeable people here - I thought I'd ask.

My wife's little skateboard with an engine (smart car) seems to be infested with insects. Were not sure what they are - but she is covered in bites. We have bought some flea spray and covered the interior of the car (we thought she may have got flees from a clients house - she works with a certain group of society who do not understand personal or home hygiene). After letting this go to work over night, we gave it a very good vacuum (the carpet is quite long and fluffy - so plenty of places for insects to nest). However this week whatever the insects are, they seem to have made her not just their lunch, but dinner, breakfast, supper and elevenses as well - every day.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how to kill the off?

Ideas most welcome!

greypoint

Some of the heavy duty household flea spray you get from the vet might work - tends to kill everything. I used to do my old house twice a year when I had all my dogs and never saw a flea afterwards.

happypaddler

Unfortunately thats what we tried first - our cat had flees in our old house, we had some vet provided heavy duty spray left from when we fumigated the house. She works for the council so I've just told her to contact the pest control officer - if she has got whatever the insects are via a client whilst at work - its only fair the employer helps to fix the problem.... but I'll not hold my breath.

Oldboy

Quote from: happypaddler on October 16, 2009, 12:08:55 PM
Not a photography question, but as there is a group of knowledgeable people here - I thought I'd ask.

My wife's little skateboard with an engine (smart car) seems to be infested with insects. Were not sure what they are - but she is covered in bites. We have bought some flea spray and covered the interior of the car (we thought she may have got flees from a clients house - she works with a certain group of society who do not understand personal or home hygiene). After letting this go to work over night, we gave it a very good vacuum (the carpet is quite long and fluffy - so plenty of places for insects to nest). However this week whatever the insects are, they seem to have made her not just their lunch, but dinner, breakfast, supper and elevenses as well - every day.

Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how to kill the off?

Ideas most welcome!

It might have nothing to do with clients houses but most likely the glue or other materials used in the car. I have heard of other cases like this to do with cars but can't find anything on the internet. Cold weather kills fleas, and we have some frosts forecast for the next few days. The only snag is it doesn't destroy the eggs laid in carpets so a good vacuum is a must and will usually deal with the eggs.  ;D

Alfonso_Frisk

Have a good look under the car, especially the engine bay and wheel arches for road kill remnants such as hedgehog,cat etc
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

bones615

Have you thought about something from the garden centre, lots of bug sprays there. Another idea might be ant powder if they are nesting, the pest control guys at work use it for wasps nests and all sorts where one insect may carry it back to the nest.

Simon

minky_monkey

Let a few spiders loose.  They`ll get them in no time...

Mind you, I can see how it might escalate as you keep having to introduce a new species to get rid of the last!! ;D

happypaddler

As I hoped, a good selection of suggestions - much obliged! She has just coated the interior of the car in ant powder, we shall leave it over night and then give it a good hoover. I've had a look underneath and can not see anything untoward - the engine in enclosed in the car and needs some special lifting tool to get it out properly - but it does get very very hot (I found that out when it needed oil one day) - so I doubt anything is living in it. Last resort, contact an old colleague and liberate a haz-mat suit  :-X.

Thanks again.

top totty

How about having the carpet and seats steam cleaned that may kill the little buggers :)

happypaddler

Hopefully....  :-X its now sorted. I covered the interior in some heavy duty industrial ant and insect killer powder. We left it 24 hours, then I donned a gas mask and hovered it out as best I could. Unfortunately I failed to get it all up and left blotches of white powder all over the upholstery - the wife was not amused! So £30 to a mobile car valeting chap and he shampooed the whole interior and got it all up. The car stinks of fairly strong smelling chemicals, took a couple of days to dry (perhaps a more expensive service would have dried the seats better?), but that will soon go. However the good news is all the little biting things (whatever they were) seem to have disappeared!

Thanks for the suggestions one and all.

Oldboy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.