• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 42
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
  • Baidu
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Another forum is going.

Started by anglefire, November 23, 2023, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

Found out today that https://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php is going to close its doors around the end of the year.

Despite being a lot more active than here, the owner has decided he can no longer support it due to lack of traffic.

Sad days that the likes of Facebook are killing proper forums.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Mark, very sad the forums are dying like this, but I can understand where the owner of that one is coming from, I mean the hosting costs must be horrendous 240GB of images for the gallery alone plus any other files from the forum software itself. Not good if the ads or sponsors don't cover the costs.

I was worrying when we got to 16GB. lol..  That said I've always paid out of my own pocket apart from the odd donation over the years..

This place was really only here as a place for DCM (Digital Camera Magazine) members to hang out when they shut the doors in 2007. I never really tried to build it up to be honest and it's been on the slippery slope since. 

I'll keep the site up while I'm hosting my other sites on the server, I'm just not throwing loads of money at hosting images.  ;) 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Mick

Mark, I noticed when viewing that site there a post stating that some of the members going to put up another site to replace it.  https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1531051&page=1

My Gallery

OpenSea

Mick

Mark, They did a good job getting that new site together so quickly, looks pretty good so far. And for anyone who's interested in checking it out and joining up, it can be found here, https://focusonphotography.community.forum/

My Gallery

OpenSea

anglefire

Mick,

They did - I think it has been in limited use for about 6 - 8weeks and I think they tried different forum software first. POTN used software developed by the owner - and whilst it was brilliant in what it did, it makes management very difficult. Much easier to use a off the shelf package and keep it as vanilla as possible with just basic configuration.

Hopefully it keeps going against the likes of FB etc.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

Mark, one thing I noticed on the new site is how the forum seems to be used for posting images more than the gallery.  I uploaded 3 of my old images in the gallery a couple of days ago just to see how it works, and they have no views showing on them whatsoever.  I checked some of the other members albums and the views are either very low or none existent too.  Same goes for comments in the gallery.  ??? 

My Gallery

OpenSea

anglefire

Must admit I've not used the gallery - on the other forum (POTN), The threads is where the images get posted and then you have to option to add them to your gallery - I guess that as most people so far have come from POTN, habits haven't changed.

And truth be told, I never really looked in the Gallery on here apart from to upload for a comp or to find an image for IOTW. I didn't really just browse through them.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

anglefire

Well, today is the day that POTN is turned off - I have been a member of that forum for close on 18years. Will be sad to see it go - and I really hope that both this forum and its direct replacement survive!

Wierdly, its quite sad.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

It is sad Mark, even though I've only joined up recently to see how a proper forum should be run, it's sad when any of your regular haunts closes down, kinda leaves a empty feeling in your belly.  I should imagine the owner and rest of the team will feel bad for a while too.

This place will be here, even if it's just a backup place to hang out.  :tup:   

My Gallery

OpenSea

Mick

Well POTN has now closed its doors.  Just a single announcement page left. 

My Gallery

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.