• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 77
  • Total: 77
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT MISE EN ABYME weekly comp

Started by Simple, June 29, 2016, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple

This is the CHAT thread

This week's theme is Mise en Abyme or Droste effect
This sounds really difficult, but it is basically a picture within a picture. 

No restrictions on PP.

Pictures to be taken preferably between now and Sunday 3rd July 2016, 23:59, or enter one from your Personal / Camera Cranium Archives if you prefer.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23:59pm Monday 4th July 2016.
Poll will be up Tuesday 5th July 2016.
Winner to be announced Saturday 9th July 2016.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to

Post a topic on the Sunday (or sooner) following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted (or earliest archive shot if applicable) wins.

ABERS

Not really understanding the theme I Googled  it. A very  interesting and thought provoking theme. Should be some interesting images forthcoming. If I wasn't  off on holiday tomorrow I'm sure it would fill my time with a good degree of head scratching.

Apart from the obvious  shots of pictures in frames somewhere in the shot I would think the possibility of having such an image in your back catalogue  is pretty remote.

DigiDiva

Thank goodness Im abroad with limited internet!!!!!!! Holy macaroni
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Alfonso_Frisk

Interesting theme and one I am not familiar with.
Out and about on the North York Moors tomorrow. Will have to get the thinking cap on and look that bit deeper whilst out.
Tried a quick google but nothing there inspires me.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Reinardina

Had a go this morning, when a possible 'picture in a picture' stared me in the face. Well, sort off.

Haven't seen the result yet, not had time. It is a hand held high ISO shot, so I don't hold out too much hope.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

An old archive one from me as I`ll not get time to shoot anything this week

Simple

Since I came up with the topic I thought I better put a picture in as well. We have done lots of things with this topic at the local camera club. We used mirrors and empty picture frames. Because I was sitting in front of my PC thinking about what to do, this came out as the result.

Hinfrance

Well, hmm. I tried a few ideas for the Mise en Abyme bit, not too successfully to be honest. So I had a look at the Droste effect. I was pleased to see that there was an Adobe tool to do it, and then down about the fact that it was withdrawn a few years ago and although it is archived on the web it won't work with PS CC or any of the older versions of Elements that I have. Then I remembered that some time ago I was given a copy of Filter Forge 4 standard which I had never installed. As luck would have it my key was still OK and there is a Droste filter. So I mucked about with it a bit. Looks like you ideally need a circular object to start with, which is why so many of the examples on line are of lenses and clocks. I did one of my watches from an old image. Not managed to upload it so far. I keep getting 'Camera Craniums is not working' messages.

Just got it to work:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

All the mirrors in the bathroom of my hotel gave me an idea. I could see myself at least three times, but sadly could not 'fit' it into my camera as I had to stand too close. I decided on a selfie-double and experimented.

Am now glamping, and have to post it, before everyone wakes up and the WiFi slows to a halt.

Simple

Well Done Reinardina!!, Well deserved. To be honest Droste is a Dutch brand so it makes sense you won. 

jinky

Well done Reinardina - got my vote just ahead of H`s.

Reinardina

Thank you guys.

I had never heard of 'Mise en Abyme,' but had seen the effect regularly. Never heard the term 'Droste effect' either, but of course I know Droste! Have known it all my life, and loved it all my life.

Will set up the new competition now.

DigiDiva

Well done. Told you it was an excellent photo.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

I know, would not have entered it otherwise.

Oldboy

Cracking shot Reinardina and got my vote.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.