• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

CHAT-CONCEPTUAL MONTAGE-Weekly Comp 27/02 to 6/03

Started by Hinfrance, February 27, 2016, 10:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

CHAT - CONCEPTUAL MONTAGE- Weekly Challenge 27/02 to 6/03

The entries thread is HERE

Something a little different for this week's challenge. I am posting early so that you have the maximum time to get this done :)

The challenge is CONCEPTUAL MONTAGE. Your task is to make a montage of at least 3 different images, creating a new picture that combines the starting images into a conceptual image. Sounds complicated, but really it need not be. The 'Space Time' image that I did for the negative space challenge, for example, was a montage of two images simply blended with a layer mask.

You can blend images using masks and blending styles (even layer styles if you are really handy with an advanced editor) to achieve some interesting results.

To the nitty gritty. This week only one of the photos needs to be taken during the competition window, the others can be from your own personal libraries if you wish – or you can take all the pictures this week – it's up to you.

You will need an editor that supports layers, layer masks, and blending modes. This is Photoshop, recent versions of Photoshop Elements, Serif Photoplus, Corel Paintshop, the GIMP (free).

If you simply search the web for 'photo montage' images you will find thousands of examples to inspire you, or if you come across any Russian wedding photos, examples of what not to do ;)

HERE is a good tutorial covering the basics, but there are lots to choose from.

I hope that you will find this a lot of fun.

OK, get going :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Have been happily playing around (in Elements) on Friday, while I had yet another contractor 'about the house.' Both with the Orton Effect for a Flickr competition, and a montage for this one. Fun to do, not sure though the results are truly  exceptional, let alone conceptual.

Going out for lunch today, and if I'm not too worn out afterwards, I may resume messing about with layers.

Not many 'chats' these days, so I thought I'd keep you informed of my 'progress.'

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Glad to hear you're having a stab at it Re :) I am just going to take a random set of pictures I took this week and see if anything inspires me. I should have this afternoon free to muck about a bit.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I used some old shots, but took one especially for this competition, to make sure the rules are obeyed.
Pretty random selection. Weird, but hopefully wonderful in the end.

Hinfrance

The Corridor:

Replaced the earlier version with one a little brighter.

The images making this up are:

1. From the challenge week, the warning signs from a cellphone mast.
2. From today's edit a drawing of a yellow arrow done in Drawplus, then imported into Photoshop.
3. A hotel corridor, taken at the end of last month.
4. An image of Mrs H taken for a Flickr challenge.
5. A photo from a few years ago at Puy du Fou of raptors.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Lovely image H. I will put up mine a bit later. Hope we are not the only ones!

Beaux Reflets

Nothing from me again this week. Just struggling a bit with Tendonitus plus trembling in my left arm when I need a steady hand - so have not used the camera or mouse much this week and nothing jelled from the few shots I managed to grab inbetween the showers.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Hope you'll get better soon Andy.

The elephant is the only shot I took this week, the rhino is from September (Salzberg Zoo), the gull from Bath (last December), the woman one of my ranger colleagues and Texel beach (Orton Effect) from summer 2014. The sinking ship is, I believe, a destroyer from the Dutch Royal Navy.

oggalily

I really liked the theme but was a little too busy to give it the picture it deserved.  Anyhow here's a slightly rushed effort.  The picture of my daughter is from yesterday at the beach, the hula hoop is from summer 2014, and the fish is the dear departed Brad Pitt.

Reinardina

Very few entries, but at least three totally different images, of a kind we do not see enough of.

It's fun to do, so hopefully it will encourage others to 'have a go.'

SimonW

Sorry, no entry from me. But I have enjoyed looking at these - each one made me smile.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Just back from the shops. Poll will be up soon :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Quote from: SimonW on March 08, 2016, 09:03:57 AM
Sorry, no entry from me. But I have enjoyed looking at these - each one made me smile.

That is very positive!

Hinfrance

Well, that didn't take long. I do appreciate it was quite a demanding subject, so kudos to those who did enter. Hopefully 'FLIGHT' will attract a few more entries :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

'Flight' might cause problems for me, as I cannot shoot anything moving. At least not anything that's moving fast. A plane might be okay, or a flock of birds, but a single bird is beyond me.
Might have to ponder different 'flights,' even though you specify the airborne variety.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.