• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 101
  • Total: 101
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Cruel Nature

Started by bones615, April 24, 2011, 04:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

Found this today, the ladybird is alive but seems to be trapped.

After a bit of research i found out that a parasitic wasp had layed an egg in the ladybird, which had eaten non vital internals finishing with whatever moves its legs then crawled out and made a cocoon underneath. Its now using the live ladybird as protection.

anglefire

How gruesome.

And they say humans are bad!

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beryl

Yes it is.
One Wasp. I don't like .
I have a photo of one of these wasps . It had stunned a spider ans dragging it o it'd den where it will lay it's eggs in the spiders abdomen and the lava eat the spider alive.
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Oldboy

Is it called Rhyssa persuasoria and looks like the one below?

If it is then it's very rare and only two pictures of it have been taken in the wild, I took this one.  ;D

Beryl

I can't find my photo it was dragging this spider three times it's size across the  footpath.
I'll have another look through my 500 discs

P.S
Found it.  I think it's a different member of the species to yours Olboy . Maybe not quite so rare

Anoplius viaticus

My Web site

Oldboy

No, doesn't look like Rhyssa persuasoria, which hunts beatles and lays their egg inside. I took six shots but it moves so fast only one was in focus.  ;D

I didn't know what it was, but an article appeared in the Mirror, which showed a picture taken by a chap in Sutton Park, and a expert said it was the only know picture taken in the wild. My shot was taken a week or so before that one.  :tup:

bones615

You guys seem to know your stuff with all the latin names & insect knowledge. So I googled the wasp that layed in the ladybird, its Dinocampus coccinellae it apparently only uses 7 spot ladybirds as hosts which is a cause for concern if you are hoping ladybirds will keep the aphids down, there is a study running in scotland that suggests 70% of 7 spot ladybirds are infected.

Beryl

Yes.
The Wasp I have added is a Spider Wasp it does the same thing but only with Spiders  :yikes: Lays it's eggs in the stunned spider and the lava eat the spider alive . Poor thing

As you say Cruel Nature

My Web site

CML-1591

ARHHH WHERE'S LORDV WHEN YOU NEED HIM!!

oh right yeah... In the garden or reversing tubes and lenses..... :doh:
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.