• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 35
  • Total: 35
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglefire

I hate it when they say that something is going to be announced.

Well, in that case, its not NEWS because it hasn't happened yet. News is by definition, reporting the facts. Something that all media outlets would be wise to remember and is not opinion. No issue with opinion, but it should be a defined as such.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Does anyone remember the rather short lived 'Broken News'?

Very Chris Morris in style, I found it hilarious, but I suppose it was too close to the bone to be recommissioned for more than one brief run.

PS, I'd by the boxed set of the only 6 episodes they made, but Amazon want more than £65 for it - bunch of thieves. And the Beeb have discontinued it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

I usually pop in to CC a couple of times a day to see what if anything is happening or if anything interesting and informative has been posted, I know, I know a bit sad really.   :-[

More and more, there seems very little of anything to do with photography but more and more just general gossip about anything other than the art itself.

Is CC turning into Faecebook?

Markulous

I gave up posting pics a while back as there appeared to be a total lack of interest - OK, so they weren't necessarily great but still.....

And photography discussions? Nothing much - as you say, mainly gossip and I get my fill of that on FB

Still get the email notifications, otherwise I wouldn't have seen this - though I do still check the "Show unread posts"
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Mick

I see what you mean Alan, but if it wasn't for the general chat on here it would be completely dead. 

I personally think it's down to a lack of members, and I've just about given up on trying to draw them in.  Currently we have 304 members and looking daily around 27 approx regular visitors.  Not good is it for the time the site's been running.   

Always open to suggestions, but sometimes my coding skills (or should I say lack of) hold me back when it comes to adding new features and content to the site. 

If you view the site Stats http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?action=stats  it'll give you some idea where most things happen around here.  (These stats don't include the gallery).

Hand reaches for the plug.  :-\

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Mick

Actually while on the subject.  Anyone know what's happened to Jonathan Ryan?  he's not visited since August 17 2012. 
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Graham

Quote from: Mick on January 24, 2013, 09:33:07 AM
Actually while on the subject.  Anyone know what's happened to Jonathan Ryan?  he's not visited since August 17 2012.

I think he spends a bit of time on "Talk Photography".

Iv'e always thought of this site as a place to go when you don't want to be asked "Which macro lens should I buy?" type questions, also, we all seem to be quite content with our own photography and not in need of lots of re-assurance.
         I personally find it very dificult to talk about the "art" of photography, not because I have no appreciation of it, but because talking about it is counter to the ethos of why I take photographs. (Do you see what I mean? How clumsy was that last sentance?).

"I don't just use my camera to take photographs, I use it as something to hide behind and occasionally as somthing to open doors."  G Whitmore
           Discuss.

Graham.  ???
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Graham on January 24, 2013, 11:51:52 AM

Iv'e always thought of this site as a place to go when you don't want to be asked "Which macro lens should I buy?" type questions, also, we all seem to be quite content with our own photography and not in need of lots of re-assurance.

Discuss.

Graham.  ???

How very true and the reason why IMHO that people don't stay long after joining.
I think around 90% of togs on FLIKR  "need" and "seek" that slap on the back critique and they wont get that here.
We had it at the old DCM and it is how most other sites survive with a healthy membership.
Fine if you desire the slappy backy  feedback, but it ain't for me. I would much prefer to be told the -ve and tips on how to improve.

A fave quote of mine is -
Remember, good photography has very little to do with the camera – it's just a recording device – your eyes and brain are what matter most.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Mick on January 24, 2013, 09:26:57 AM
I see what you mean Alan, but if it wasn't for the general chat on here it would be completely dead. 

I personally think it's down to a lack of members, and I've just about given up on trying to draw them in.  Currently we have 304 members and looking daily around 27 approx regular visitors.  Not good is it for the time the site's been running.   

Always open to suggestions, but sometimes my coding skills (or should I say lack of) hold me back when it comes to adding new features and content to the site. 

Slap your wrist before your fingers get a grip on the wire Mick.  ;)

:idea: Now you have a facebook CC account , perhaps a competition advertised on there may catch a bit of interest.  :tup:

Three images or a triptych that tells a story  :-\
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

hevans

Hi Mick,

Sorry, I've been a bit of a lurker for the last few years. still chip in on the odd occasion. Current lifestyle and family don't provide much free time, and opportunity for getting the camera out not frequent.

I confess, I usually read the responses via the forwarded emails and don't log into the site (easier to keep up with the smart phone this way). I do (often) still cast a vote in the weekly competitions.

Well...do you want to be screaming into a hall full of people shouting at and trolling each other (vleesbook - a joke for Reinardina), or have a gentle (mostly) group of 27 people that are quite interested in their hobby and supporting each other to improve?

QuoteIf you view the site Stats http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?action=stats  it'll give you some idea where most things happen around here.  (These stats don't include the gallery).
Those statistics are not necessarily representative. The top 10 topics by views: you're comparing three thread that have been in existence for many years with ones that are more ephemeral (weekly competitions, etc.). Maybe the top 10 topics by day?

More interesting are the monthly figures: January 2013: 29 new topics, that's more than 1 per day (not bad for a small group), 363 new posts, also not bad.

Please don't!

H.

hevans

JR is on facebook. Not as active as he used to be. Probably just techno-tired with all this virtual living. Everyone's interest waxes and wanes in the on-line world.

ABERS

Whoa!, don't pull the plug Mick!

As Alfono says this site has got it right, it is populated by people who are comfortable with their photography and is not an excercise in mutual backslapping. It also is not peppered with strange expressions like 'togs' and 'glass'  so my toes don't curl like when I visit another site. ;)

We all get someting different from it and we all enjoy it from different angles. so unlike Cameron I'll have the luxury of a bit of cherry picking!  :tup:

ABERS

Quote from: hevans on January 24, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

JR is on facebook. Not as active as he used to be. Probably just techno-tired with all this virtual living. Everyone's interest waxes and wanes in the on-line world.

J hasn't posted since he made a pejorative remark about Flickr and it was pointed out that he still subscribed to it. Might have upset him. :(

jinky

I must admit I`ve been less active online generally lately. Seem to be more pushing businessy things on facebook than other stuff.Been trying to push myself to do more fun comps though and this one is my favoured place for that, as it is for good sound technical advice when I needed from a knowledgeable group of people. I realised when posting my shot today and mentioning CC on facebook/ flickr I should have put in links but not always smart enough to do it i.e need to be able to put on a highlighted word hyperlink (or whatever it is called). Just learned how to do that with my business page on facebook but lost elsewhere.   @[246759502008823:Photography by Paul Dishman]. if anyone on there wants to like my page.

See I cannot even do that right  ;D

Abd deffo - don`t pull the plug and great work. I`ve seen JR posting on facebook more recently - especially selling / buying gear in a facebook sell/trade group.

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on January 24, 2013, 05:22:03 PM
I must admit I`ve been less active online generally lately. Seem to be more pushing businessy things on facebook than other stuff.Been trying to push myself to do more fun comps though and this one is my favoured place for that, as it is for good sound technical advice when I needed from a knowledgeable group of people. I realised when posting my shot today and mentioning CC on facebook/ flickr I should have put in links but not always smart enough to do it i.e need to be able to put on a highlighted word hyperlink (or whatever it is called). Just learned how to do that with my business page on facebook but lost elsewhere.   @[246759502008823:Photography by Paul Dishman]. if anyone on there wants to like my page.

See I cannot even do that right  ;D

Abd deffo - don`t pull the plug and great work. I`ve seen JR posting on facebook more recently - especially selling / buying gear in a facebook sell/trade group.

Paul for a highlighted link on Flickr use the following 'formula:

First copy the url of the place you want to link.

Then

<a href=(paste url)>(linkword)</a>
Then hit 'save.'
Don't forget the space after the first 'a' and don't copy the brackets around the url and linkword.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.