• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 172
  • Total: 172
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

new year in London

Started by alan1572, January 01, 2010, 08:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

Just got back, after watching it on tv for the last few year's we decided to go, so on the 30th, the wife, the 2 youngest and I went down, i was expecting it to be choka but nothing prepared me for the squeeze and worry ( even thou my youngest who i had with me was 13) that met us as we walked/pushed/got pushed along the embankment, due to the fact that i had my daughter it was nothing short of scary at times, i don't think i'll be taking them again any time soon, but now it's over and we all made it home alive it was worth every minute.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

picsfor

should have advised of your plans - we might have been able to give you some tips to make the visit 'less stressful'.

alan1572

any tips for Edinburgh?
that's next....in a few year's. :P

irv_b

Quote from: alan1572 on January 01, 2010, 08:17:00 PM
Just got back, after watching it on tv for the last few year's we decided to go, so on the 30th, the wife, the 2 youngest and I went down, i was expecting it to be choka but nothing prepared me for the squeeze and worry ( even thou my youngest who i had with me was 13) that met us as we walked/pushed/got pushed along the embankment, due to the fact that i had my daughter it was nothing short of scary at times, i don't think i'll be taking them again any time soon, but now it's over and we all made it home alive it was worth every minute.

Alan we went today as well didn't get there till 1ish. We were  in Whitehall and it really was choka even for three adults and two teenagers so I do sympathise. I couldn't  really get a decent vantage point to take pics but still enjoyed it very much (I will post some pics later)
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

picsfor

Quote from: alan1572 on January 01, 2010, 09:34:50 PM
any tips for Edinburgh?

book a year ahead!

alan1572

Quote from: picsfor on January 01, 2010, 09:40:48 PM
Quote from: alan1572 on January 01, 2010, 09:34:50 PM
any tips for Edinburgh?

book a year ahead!

my wife booked our stay last March!!...but she gave it to me as an xmas present ;D

alan1572

Sadly, we didn't get the best view for pictures but the atmosphere was electric.

image was behind the Eye

my first visit to Carnaby street

and the normal protests..every little hurts-can you see what they've done there?

picsfor

some fair shots there considering the conditions under which you had to shoot.

now you know what it's like for me to drive my trains between Brighton and London. So many events with a great atmosphere and passengers oozing that atmosphere to boot. Some days it almost seems wrong to get paid it can be so enjoyable!

alan1572

ahh but if you never took the money they'd only give it to someone else less deserving  :tup:

Jonathan

Hmmmm....last time I went to London on NYE it was Millennium Eve.  Now that was chocka!

This year could only be described as surreal.  We were in Venice and of course decided to go to St Marks Square.  They were expecting 40,000 so it was a nice surprise that we could get pretty close to the middle of the square and see everything.  Of course this was largely because the whole square was under 18 inches of water......  The Aqua Alta sirens went off about 8:30 and by midnight the water was just about the top of my wellies.  Higher when people moved.

Add to this a bunch of characters on the stage that could have come straight from the Simpsons' spoof Canal Ocho, some random German guy giving me champagne and about 28 million sparklers and it all got a bit strange.

Oh, and just to prove I'm not making it up about the clowns.....YouTube were there.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prwa8xAOCoo :)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

But did you have a good trip?

alan1572

we've only been to Venice once...that water in St Marks square can be a problem, we thought the tables were for market trader's, it was only when the tide came in we realized they were for keeping dry.

picsfor

I've only been the once - but i think i need to return.

At the time i'd just acquired a 'new digital camcorder' which allowed you to take stills from the footage (interesting how things have changed  ;D) and all pictures are from that video footage.
With the interest and kit i now have-  i think i could comfortably spend a week there wearing out my memory cards.

It's an interesting place that has doubtless been photographed to death - but surely some of the fun is trying to find a new twist on an old photo!

Maybe i need to consider a Venice Meet  :tup:

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on January 02, 2010, 11:35:51 AM
But did you have a good trip?

Yeah.

Rockin.

Walked about 400 miles.  Got hit by Aqua Alta 5 times (yes, in a week!!!!).  Avoided 400,000 offers of gondola rides, gondola hats, plastic gondolas and gondola shaped pasta.

Took about 600 snaps.  Played with some new toys.

Lots of fun :)).

Sacry numbers of people taking pics.  For anybody who counts these kind of things Nikon is destroying the competition in Venice.  About every 5th person has a DSLR.  I'd say 80% of them are Nikons (D300 seems very popular).  With compacts it's hard to tell but Fuji seem well represented.  Only spotted 2 Leicas all week.
It's Guest's round

oRGie

Sounds like fun, but whats Aqua Alta ?    when you start taking pics of everyone elses cameras thats when I'l get worried about you ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.