• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 26
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
  • Baidu
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Removing photo stuck to broken glass

Started by skellum, November 30, 2011, 11:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

Been asked to repair a picture which was framed and then broken accidently. Problem is the photo is stuck to the broken glass ( Why don't people use a proper mount in the first place ?   :knuppel2: ). I have done the usual google check which came up with two suggestions.  1. Soak in warm water and part chemical solution ( which I can't remember the name of )   2. Place in a freezer bag, freeze then dry gently with a hairdrier on low while picking of the glass with tweezers.  Both ideas sound risky and I won't be trying them yet as it has sentimental value to the person who asked if anything could be done with it.

I have scanned the photo and as a last resort will attempt to correct it in photoshop but that will take forever. I once repaired a badly damaged colour photo by converting it to black & white which seemed to make the job easier but as you see from the attached picture there is a lot of detail in the background so it is always going to be hard work so I really need to get the glass off to make any sort of reasonable job.

Any ideas appreciated.

Colin

Dave, I suspect it will be a challenge to get it off without leaving some of it behind on the glass. Rather than freezing I would have thought warming would have better results allowing the chemicals to soften slightly. Photoshop and the healing tool look like favourite. ;)

krennon

try contacting one of the museums such as the V&A or try the amateur photographer forum AP ran a feature last year on a guy who repairs and restores old photos who worked at one of the museums but I can't remember which one or the guys name
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

skellum

Managed to get this job done today. ( The picture was stuck to the glass )

With the customers permission I soaked the picture & broken glass in a plastic container half filled with warm water. Today after two days soaking I finally managed to get all the glass off. Dried the picture then scaned it again. Odd light tear here and there but repairable in photoshop. Not the best picture to work with but an improvement on what we had.

So the customer will be pleased and so am I as my nearest competitor ( Who apparently does not like me, Its a bit of a territory thing plus he went to College to learn Photograhy and gives the impression that he his better than most of us round here ) had the picture for a ages then said it could not be done.. ;D

So should any of you come across this problem you know what to try..  No chemicals just warm water and patience :tup:

Alfonso_Frisk

Well done Dave :tup:
A great job and I'm certain your customer will be very happy with the result.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Well done Dave.  :tup:

I think I might have put some liquid soap in the water as well.  :-[

irv_b

What a brilliant job you managed there Dave. They should be well pleased and I hope the other guy gets to here that you could do something that he couldn't with high flying uni education :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on December 30, 2011, 10:24:11 PM

I had thought of that but was worried about chemical reaction. Would of tried it if first attempt didn't work. Even though I had the customers permission I would of hated to ruin the picture for him with no end result so I was super carefull.

Oldboy

Quote from: Dave on December 30, 2011, 10:37:09 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on December 30, 2011, 10:24:11 PM

I had thought of that but was worried about chemical reaction. Would of tried it if first attempt didn't work. Even though I had the customers permission I would of hated to ruin the picture for him with no end result so I was super carefull.

Oh I quite agree, which was why I didn't suggest it in the first place. I would only have used a drop of liquid soap, so when the water was stirred it wouldn't produce bubbles, but would have been enough to soften the paper.  :tup:

Eileen

Colin

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

You are a genius, but I am more pleased, you managed to do what the competition couldn't!

Happy New Year!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Beaux Reflets

:idea: Put the before and after shots in a mini display in your shop window on top of a don cap  :2funny:  -  Nice job  :tup: Enjoy the bubbly  :tup: and dress the bottle with brightly coloured ribbons to balance the display  :dance: :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.