• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 54
  • Total: 54
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

new year in London

Started by alan1572, January 01, 2010, 08:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

i think (though i'm sure i will be corrected if wrong) that it is equivalent to a Spring High Tide.
Those events where weather and tides etc all come together to create higher than normal tides.

Normally you have the one, or maybe two - but that many in a week is not considered normal - but given Venice's recent weather - doesn't surprise me.
Jonathan still doesn't say what toys he took to play with!

Jonathan

Ooops yeah, sorry.  What Picsfor said pretty much.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqua_Alta - basically loads of complicated stuff happens with weather and the streets get somewhere between pretty wet and very wet.

Dec 23rd 2009 (I got there on 26th) was apparently the 11th highest of modern records.  Over 90% of the streets flooded.  It wasn't that bad while I was there but 5 occasions when the sirens went off to indicate "very intense" weather.  First time I was just heading out with my tripod.....

As for the toys.....well, one was a rather fabulous travel tripod.  And the other was, err, a Hasselblad................................. 8)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on January 02, 2010, 06:05:48 PM
And the other was, err, a Hasselblad................................. 8)

I'm assuming you took the 'buy an H3D now and get it upgraded to a H4D when it's released' offer  ;)

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on January 02, 2010, 08:23:32 PM

I'm assuming you took the 'buy an H3D now and get it upgraded to a H4D when it's released' offer  ;)

No, he slipped it into his pocket after the presentation!  :2funny:

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on January 02, 2010, 08:23:32 PM

I'm assuming you took the 'buy an H3D now and get it upgraded to a H4D when it's released' offer  ;)

Nah that only applies to the H3D-50 upwards.  I didin't get that because
1. It costs about the same as a sports car
2. It tops out at 800 ISO - the 31 will go to 1,600 and that suits my photography much better
3. I'd need even more disk space...... :)

So I got a great deal on an ex demo H3D-II 31 with 80mm lens.

Now to figure out how to use it.......
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2010, 12:58:32 PM
Now to figure out how to use it.......

The choice of replies is almost worthy of a competition.

But i suspect the real quote should be - "how to manage it best to derive another revenue stream..."

anglefire

QuoteSo I got a great deal on an ex demo H3D-II 31 with 80mm lens.

Define great deal (No I don't really mean that!:))

I've just looked at the current new Price. Hope its as good as it would appear to be - and I guess it is. Good luck on paying for that one!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Quote from: anglefire on January 03, 2010, 01:39:44 PM
QuoteSo I got a great deal on an ex demo H3D-II 31 with 80mm lens.
Define great deal (No I don't really mean that!:))

Let's just say that I negotiated a discount that left me enough change for a "lesser" camera.  Like, say, a 1D Mk IV :D

As an indulgence it's a very very nice piece of kit.  I do have a plan to make it work for a living and we'll see how that works out.  In the meantime it's playtime.  I don't think I've ever been happier with a set of pics than when I opened my holiday snaps in Lightroom ;)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on January 03, 2010, 06:09:05 PM
Let's just say that I negotiated a discount that left me enough change for a "lesser" camera.  Like, say, a 1D Mk IV :D

Why would you wanna buy a 1D Mk IV when you can get a 5D MkII, 7D + battery grip and a decent lens or two?

If i had the business and bank balance to back it up, i might go for a 'blad - but wouldn't waste my money on a 1D Mk IV even with 102k iso!

anglefire

Quote from: picsfor on January 03, 2010, 07:09:17 PM

Why would you wanna buy a 1D Mk IV when you can get a 5D MkII, 7D + battery grip and a decent lens or two?

If i had the business and bank balance to back it up, i might go for a 'blad - but wouldn't waste my money on a 1D Mk IV even with 102k iso!

I've seen a few high ISO shots with the IV - and it is very very impressive - however, your logic cannot be faulted. (102K though is very much last resort - but 12800 is very usable!)
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jonathan

Well, me neither.  Not while Nikon are still making cameras..... ;)
It's Guest's round

anglefire

Quote from: Jonathan on January 04, 2010, 07:54:32 AM

Well, me neither.  Not while Nikon are still making cameras..... ;)

Give it time :)
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

irv_b

I had the wires crossed and I went to the New Years day parade - well worth it but get there early to get a good spot
here are some more that I took on the day
http://picasaweb.google.com/irvbar/2010NewYearsParade#
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

alan1572

looks like a good time was had by all :)
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.