• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Help urgent windows 7 won't start

Started by jinky, July 10, 2014, 07:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

After doing an avast update and restarting my computer freezes on " windows startin*". After restarting I got the message it would not start, attempt repair which I selected  A request for  a restore I agreed to. Still nothing happened and then I went to restart. Still not starting - just the logo. So much on and need to edit / do a talk  I have planned on PC for Saturday. Help - what can I do? I currently have start up repair running / attempting repairs. Is there a way I can access system restore on start up as I cannot get to the start button. I hate computers!

jinky

Just managed to get to system restore and I have no restore point! :uglystupid2:

EDIT: Now I find that having closed safe mode, shut down and restarted it has all booted up OK. System repair had not advised of any repair and even gave a message suggesting repair had been impossible and did I want to report it!! I`ve set a restore point but am scared to close the PC down now in case it won`t restart!

Is this just another case where shutting it down, unplugging and restarting has just finally fixed it. Made me realise I need to seriously work on backing up some files before this PC gets switched off again.

Panic seemingly over ....unless.....

You can tell what sort of a panic I was in - posting help request on my nexus and then staged updates until I have seemingly solved it ... without knowing why. Still hate PCs. Avast is still saying an update is available. I just don`t know what to do about that one. When I did it before I wonder if it was running twice or something. It said update downloaded and need to restart so I hit yest . It then said it was waiting for 2 then 1 programme (avast) to close before restarting and I might have hit force restart. I suspect that was the root of my problems.

Oldboy

It's hard to tell what the problem is/was as you are scared of computers so may have missed any message. My guess is, when you restarted your computer, it carried on doing the update, as open system files can't be updated whilst they are open[running]. This is why updates request that you need to close down/restart your computer or reboot. So, as you couldn't see anything happening, you might have assumed it had frozen when it was just finishing the update. Microsoft, in their wisdom, decided to hid the Dos screen so you can't see what is going on.

As you have the PC working again I suggest you create a restore point now. After doing that do the updates as normal and you shouldn't have any problems. Sometimes during a update it may pause waiting for a response from you, but because you can't see the message you can't answer. If that happens again try pressing the ESC/escape key and it should skip that and carry on. By switching of/ unplugging you have forced the PC to reboot and repair any damaged files before restarting. I think your PC should be OK now.  :tup:

DigiDiva

When I got back from my holidays, my littlenet book just wouldn't work. I had todoa full restore and now Im having awful problems as theres no flash player and it wont lt me download flashplayer.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Oldboy

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 10, 2014, 09:48:32 AM
When I got back from my holidays, my littlenet book just wouldn't work. I had todoa full restore and now Im having awful problems as theres no flash player and it wont lt me download flashplayer.

Try connecting your netbook to your PC and download the correct version of Flashplayer onto to it. The PC just see your netbook as another harddrive.  :tup:

jinky

Thanks Oldboy. It working again is a relief but I always like to know what might have caused it and that sounds spot on to me. When I`ve done all my essential work Ill update avast as they are still saying it needs and update and reboot and see what happens.

donoreo

jinky

At least the extended support will be there a while longer like with XP.

DigiDiva

Quote from: Oldboy on July 10, 2014, 09:54:54 AM

Try connecting your netbook to your PC and download the correct version of Flashplayer onto to it. The PC just see your netbook as another harddrive.  :tup:

I dont have a PC, its a MACPROso nocan do :-( however it was a good idea
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

donoreo

Quote from: jinky on July 10, 2014, 05:29:57 PM
At least the extended support will be there a while longer like with XP.
But not as long, smaller installed base.

2Beers

this seems to be the week for pc problems. 

My pc

just went tits up tonight PSU went Bang with a cloud of smoke.

will see if I can get a replacement locally tomorrow if not then will need to get one of tinterweb.

Oldboy

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 10, 2014, 07:45:22 PM

Macpro is still a PC(Personal Computer). It should work just as well with your Macpro.  :tup:

jinky

My cowardice about not restarting my computer until I`d edited a couple of wedding pre-shoots and finished the notes / slideshow of a talk I am giving (gulp!) backfired on me. Automatic windows update and restart overnight showed that start up is ok again. maybe soon I`ll have enough bottle to update avast again!

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 11, 2014, 02:02:51 PM
My cowardice about not restarting my computer until I`d edited a couple of wedding pre-shoots and finished the notes / slideshow of a talk I am giving (gulp!) backfired on me. Automatic windows update and restart overnight showed that start up is ok again. maybe soon I`ll have enough bottle to update avast again!

You can stop Windows from doing a automatic shutdown, so the updates will only be processed when you agree. Some anti-virus doesn't give you that option.  :o

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on July 10, 2014, 11:45:43 PM
Quote from: DigiDiva on July 10, 2014, 07:45:22 PM

Macpro is still a PC(Personal Computer). It should work just as well with your Macpro.  :tup:

If she has a Windows based Desktop (see how I avoided that whole 'it's still a PC' debate) it's not that simple. I run both systems. While my Mac can see Windows drives, the otherway around doesn't work. Windows has never seen fit to
program it's system to read OS X formatted drives. If she has an OS X desktop then it should be as easy as you say  :)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.