• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 236
  • Total: 236
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

POLL - Amendment to Weekly Challenge Rules?

Started by Hinfrance, November 30, 2014, 05:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POLL - Should we change the rules to allow new to Camera Craniums images in the weekly challenge?

Yes, any picture new to the Camera Craniums site can be entered
0 (0%)
No, only pictures taken within the duration of the challenge can be entered (existing rule)
9 (64.3%)
Yes, with the proviso that if there is a draw the image taken in the challenge week is declared the winner
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 10, 2014, 05:50:22 PM

Hinfrance

A few weeks ago the weekly challenge chat thread raised the question of whether or not the rules for the time of capture of the images allowed to be entered should be changed to allow images new to the site to be eligible, as well as those taken during the current week. I promised to set up a poll and then got side tracked - so here is the poll now. It is open for 10 days so you have plenty of time to think about the issue and add your vote and, of course, any thoughts you have on the subject.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Even though we run the risk, people will unearth prize winning masterpieces to enter, I voted for the third option.
We'd see masterpieces from the past, and it would enable people who haven't had time, to enter anyway.

If it turns out only the prize winning masterpieces win, we can always return to the old rules, after a vote.

Or maybe we could set a 'time rule,' and only allow pictures taken in the last twelve months?
Or am I muddying the waters now? (I'm good at that!)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

The whole point of the weekly challenge is to get people to go out that week and take photos on the subject posted. Using past images defeats the whole object of the challenge.  ???

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on November 30, 2014, 11:44:18 PM
The whole point of the weekly challenge is to get people to go out that week and take photos on the subject posted. Using past images defeats the whole object of the challenge.  ???

To be honest, I had forgotten the original purpose of this challenge.

When I first started, it was indeed a challenge, and I went out to find something, or create something, specific for the competition.

I've long given up on that, and now 'fit it in' with my normal photography; keeping an eye for a suitable shot, while going about my business.

I do think that for most, it will always be the challenge to get a new image in the set time; the time limits should therefore stay, with a 'get out clause' for the time challenged.

ABERS

That's where it goes wrong, I thought the whole point of the exercise was to take pictures, not to force you to go out with the camera. When you have a busy schedule you may not be able to go out on a weekly basis and having that imposition of planning a weekly outing with the camera, combined with looking for a shot to satisfy a brief, it's easy to think I'll miss this week's competition, which then becomes next week's as well  and the week after that ad infinitum, hence the low turnout each week.

Just a point re the imposition of a brief or theme. Our club was bequeathed a trophy to be presented annually for the best print on a set theme. Initially the number of entries was quite high, after all you had a year's notice of the theme/brief. Entry numbers began to dwindle and over the last three years entry numbers have been 4, 4, and this year 2, from a membership of 150. When put to the members why numbers were so low the resounding reply was that they didn't like the imposition of a brief. When pushed further as to why they disliked a brief being imposed, it seemed they felt restricted as to what they took and usually the competition ended up with a succession of images that were no too different from each other.

I would hazard a guess that a monthly competition for the best image you have taken within that month would attract more entries than the current set up. Tell me which dot to fill in within the vote and I'll dot it in!

jinky

Everyone has their own opinions. I`m with oldboy on this one and voted accordingly. Elsewhere where old shots are allowed I barely bother and I guess I wouldn`t here. I`d either shoot something for that weekend or leave it. I don`t see any theme set as an imposition, merely as an extra I might do over and above what I might otherwise be shooting. The notion that anyone has to enter or has to shoot only for the theme and it disrupting their whole photography approach bemuses me. As for a monthly comp based on picking personal best I probably wouldn`t bother. I don`t see the value in judging / voting  on a variable set of images that might all appeal to me in one way or another. I prefer to see how one person sees / shoots a theme as against another. There are plenty of competitions  / clubs and the like where people can generally share their best work. hell I though that was what the galleries were for but as no-one sees them / comments maybe not.

Anyway - I`ve voted and we`ll see what the majority go with

kerbside

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the old debate on who prefers what.

As for the competition and how it is set up TBH I will fall in line with whatever the decision is but I did vote for number 3.

More important to me is that people stick within the theme and competition dates set.

That's it, short and sweet.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on December 01, 2014, 09:26:07 AM

That's where it goes wrong, I thought the whole point of the exercise was to take pictures, not to force you to go out with the camera.

Some people only do landscapes; some only do portraits whilst others only do wildlife. The competition is to force you to go out with the camera and take a picture of the subject regardless what it is. This will hopefully, get you to take shots of subjects that you don't normally take, expanding your horizons, It is also meant to be fun and allow you to try techniques that you haven't tried before. The chat thread allows you to ask questions, and as the subject is common to all who enter, it makes it easier to get an answer.  :tup:

StephenBatey

Disclaimer - I don't do competitions, and for a couple of main reasons. This brings up one of them. My interest lies in producing images, not photography as it seems to be promoted in many places. I go out looking at what's around me, and use my camera when I feel moved enough to want to create an image. The subject doesn't matter too much, although there are obviously things I play more attention to than others. My sole interest is in creating images, and not in improving my photography or mastering other subjects. As I said, subject doesn't matter; interpretation of reality into an image is what concerns me. I don't want my horizons expanded in terms of subject matter or techniques; what I want is to improve my seeing generally. I feel that going out with a specific subject in mind would act like a set of blinkers, and weaken my creativity to the same extent that it might strengthen the technical expertise in areas that - frankly - don't interest me.

I certainly don't want to be forced to go out; I'd rather the creative impulse came from within myself rather than being forced out.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

jinky

I don't get this " forced to go out" and shoot notion. No one is forced to go out - you just do it if you want to and I'm guessing however this vote pans out that will also be the case. Seems like some think the whole serious business of photography / self expression is ruined by a weekly themed  comp people can opt in or out of. Anyway interesting vote.

kerbside

I somewhat agree with you jinky as I will not force myself into taking good a subject matter if it holds no interest to me OR in my case if I have very little time in the week to get a photo of said subject.
This is where the archive picture could come into a and keep the end try numbers reasonable.
There are 2 sides to this but the poll is the fairest way to sort this out hopefully then, with clear direction we can all move on.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on December 01, 2014, 08:20:41 PM
It is also meant to be fun and allow you to try techniques that you haven't tried before.

It may be meant to be fun; something to distract and point you in a different direction, which is fine, but if anyone calls it a 'fun competition' again, I'll scream!
Fun competitions are for toddlers.

kerbside

Quote from: Reinardina on December 02, 2014, 09:30:58 AM
It is also meant to be fun and allow you to try techniques that you haven't tried before.

It may be meant to be fun; something to distract and point you in a different direction, which is fine, but if anyone calls it a 'fun competition' again, I'll scream!

Chris (DD) likes to call it a fun competition as well, I think "fun" pictures should be kept to Facebook, instagram and the like.

Reinardina

Quote from: kerbside on December 02, 2014, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: Reinardina on December 02, 2014, 09:30:58 AM

Chris (DD) likes to call it a fun competition as well, I think "fun" pictures should be kept to Facebook, instagram and the like.

To me, there is a big difference between the 'fun of something,' like trying something new, and a 'fun competition.'

With a 'fun competition,' I see three year olds, doing their utmost to paint the ugliest face for instance. And it does not really matter if one is much better than the others, as they will all be winners. After all, it's (only) a 'fun competition.'

With my Dutch background, I realise I do, occasionally, interpret the English language slightly different from native speakers, so I don't know if this is one of those occasions.

jinky

Well I call it fun too. No prizes therefore I am doing it partly for fun. On a good week I'm doing it to have a go at doing something different - whether  in style / processing. "Fun" does not demean it for me at all. Funny how we all interpret things differently.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.