• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 34
  • Total: 34
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Studio Lighting Course

Started by Jonathan, November 11, 2010, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

Quote from: krennon on November 29, 2010, 06:36:44 PM
Quote from: picsfor on November 12, 2010, 05:30:54 PM
i'll probably have a trip down once xmas is over. Grand Kids still think their is a Santa!
Jonathan wish I could've made it maybe if you do another one next year I can make it as I haven't a clue when it comes to lighting etc and it would be great to get some hands on experience from a pro....(is it just lights or is it RC flash as well as I've got a Sony A350 and I have heard some places don't cater for Sony at the mo?)

Been talking to the sponsor today.  Based on feedback received so far we're going to run more next year (possibly starting January).  Ideally I'd like to run one per month (they are FUN) but it's going to depend on numbers - Lencarta subsidise the course and if they don't fill them it costs them quite a lot.

Currently only plans are for studio based flash.  IMO there are enough Strobist style courses around.  When the weather improves I'd want to spend at least part of the course on location flash using the Safari packs.

Re Sonys - I can cater for them but we'll need to find a way for you to trigger the lights.  Sony's use a stupid hotshoe.  It's a case of use an adapter or figure something out.
It's Guest's round

irv_b

Quote from: Jonathan on November 29, 2010, 09:21:37 AM
Great to meet Irv (again) and Nick on the course yesterday.

I had a great time and so far feedback seems to be good.

Just waiting to see shots now.........
Well a good day was had by all (so it seemed anyway) :)
Jonathan's instruction was, as anyone who knows him, would think that it would be, minimal theory lots of practical hands on stuff with tons of his cheeky sense of humour chucked in, which made into it being a relaxed atmosphere where you weren't afraid to ask any question .I think everyone learnt loads (I know I did ) and was still thinking of  how to light things at work this morning (i know sad eh). The only thing was that the time flashed by far to quickly with the challenges Jonathan set throughout the day I wish it could have run into another day- pics will be posted later in the week :)
edit - Well worth £60 easily
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

nickt

Have to agree with Irv. It was a very practical day with just enough theory to understand what was going on. I've never worked with studio lights so being told to set up a background, sort the lights out and take shots within 20 mins was a bit bum clenching! However I did learn about lighting and enjoyed it. If Damien Lovegrove, sorry I mean Jonathan ;D, does another course, go on it.

Nick

krennon

Jonathan, I do have a Jessops fit flash for the Sony, I don't know if that would be enough to trigger the flash, failing that I am sure I can pick up a hotshoe adapter fairly cheaply from Amazon....I just worry about excessive volts going through the camera and frying all the internal electronics....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

Sandy

I love the image on your link page of the lady sideways on and her reflection, would we achieve a image like this on one session?

Sandy

picsfor

Jonathan

Quote from: Sandy on January 06, 2011, 08:06:54 PM
I love the image on your link page of the lady sideways on and her reflection, would we achieve a image like this on one session?

Sandy

Funny, a couple of people have commented on that shot.  It was done in about 2 minutes using a borrowed flash (IIRC a Canon - can't remember how I triggered it) and a big reflector.  It really was a throw away test shot - I was waiting to take pics of a model who was in makeup so I got Chalsey to stand in to check the light.

The course is more about understanding lighting so you can produce results any time you need to than shooting for your portfolio on the day.

Yeah, I could show you how to get a result like that ;)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

fancy a day out - need to check my dates...

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.