• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 36
  • Total: 36
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Strange goings on in the natural world. There has been a flock of American robins zipping back and forth behind my house for the past few days, they will rest in one or two of the maple trees for a few minutes and then zip back and forth again. Why is this strange? American Robins don't winter here. They are usually gone by Dec. and don't come back until Apr. They eat bugs, worms and berries and there are none about. When they are here in summer they're pretty solitary birds, unless mating.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on January 20, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
Strange goings on in the natural world. There has been a flock of American robins zipping back and forth behind my house for the past few days, they will rest in one or two of the maple trees for a few minutes and then zip back and forth again. Why is this strange? American Robins don't winter here. They are usually gone by Dec. and don't come back until Apr. They eat bugs, worms and berries and there are none about. When they are here in summer they're pretty solitary birds, unless mating.

The day after our big freeze ended, I saw a Caterpillar descend from a holly bush, so although you might not see them, there are insects around. If the Robins stay around, then there must be a food source they are using. In winter months with trees bear of leaves, they will flock together for protection.  ;D

spinner

There ya go! An explanation that makes sense.
Ol' blue eyes

spinner

I spent 3 hrs. driving around the Niagara Escarpment yesterday looking for one of these. With no luck. And look out my window this morning and there's one in my back garden.

Ol' blue eyes

Oldboy

Isn't it always the same. I missed a Kestrel today and he was only eight foot away.  :uglystupid2:

Cracking shot Spinner and well caught.  :tup:

Oldboy

Now I think I've head it all until I spotted this on AOL today.  :uglystupid2:

After "the wrong kind of snow" and "leaves on the line", train travellers have been given a new reason for delays - dew on the tracks.

Given the mildness of the weather and the fact that autumn is months away, London-bound commuters on services run by the Southern train company were surprised to hear that their journeys were being delayed by "poor railhead conditions" on Wednesday.

A Southern spokeswoman later explained: "This is a railhead phenomenon that happens at this time of the year". "Dew gets on the tracks and makes conditions difficult."

The problem led to delays for some early-morning commuters from the Uckfield area of Sussex, while services from Godstone and Tonbridge in Kent were also affected.

Can you believe it?  ::)

Hinfrance

You can't fight these extreme weather conditions . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Tringle WP on February 10, 2011, 07:14:13 PM
Know what you mean Howard.
                I cycle to work and yesterday the breeze ruffled my hair and made me look foolish. I tell you, I nearly turned round and went home!
                                        Graham. :D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on February 11, 2011, 05:27:15 AM
Quote from: Tringle WP on February 10, 2011, 07:14:13 PM
Know what you mean Howard.
                I cycle to work and yesterday the breeze ruffled my hair and made me look foolish. I tell you, I nearly turned round and went home!
                                        Graham. :D

Use a hairnet!  :2funny: :2funny:

Skhilled

LOL!

Quote from: spinner on January 21, 2011, 06:22:43 PM
I spent 3 hrs. driving around the Niagara Escarpment yesterday looking for one of these. With no luck. And look out my window this morning and there's one in my back garden.

Nice! I just keep missing the one in my back alley. Now that there's snow everywhere. I can see the blood splatters and feathers lying about from its morning meals. But still keep missing it. LOL At least, I've got the time narrowed down. Unfortunately, I tend to not be looking at that time for one reason or another.  :2funny:
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

ABERS

The prices of Olympic tickets! :o
Since the Olympic site is near the city, are the prices aligned to bankers' earnings? ;)

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on February 16, 2011, 08:01:49 AM
The prices of Olympic tickets! :o
Since the Olympic site is near the city, are the prices aligned to bankers' earnings? ;)

Not a problem for them, as they will get free tickets via corporate hospitality!  :P

krennon

Wondering if I'm going to have to pay to get into Richmond Park, or down the river in Kingston/Richmond/Walton/Weybridge way for the cycling....these are all public areas and are around where I live....therefore I shouldn't be charged for wanting to go there, I've already paid for the use of these areas in my council tax and been charged for the Olympics in my council tax at the rate of a mars bar a week as well and I have ZERO interest in the olympics, especially as a football club is going to be taking over the stadium which in my opinion should not be happening the stadium should be for athletics and maybe concerts etc as per the original legacy we have enough football stadiums in this country as it is....if it wouldn't be a danger to the wildlife I'd be tempted to put a load of carpet tacks all along the cycle route....bah humbug to the Olympics.....AND BREATHE, RANT OVER
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Hinfrance

For just over three weeks our Merc has been misfiring, running like petrol was getting into the engine in blobs and developing so little power it would barely get up the hill on the way to town.

Today it went in for a diagnostic check. You guessed - it started first time and ran like new all the way to the dealership. I get the results back tomorrow, but I bet they didn't find anything. And that on Monday when I start it it'll barely move under it's own steam.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

Well, they only charged €121.68 for plugging it into their diagnostic machine. B*st*rds. And then they came up with 'an intermittent ECU/MAF fault' which I could have told them. Diagnosis, replace the lot, only €1,400. See previous one word sentence for my thoughts on that.

Luckily the ECU/MAF is repairable (not by Mercedes I hasten to add, who will only sell you a new one)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.