• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Question about lenses

Started by spikeyjen, November 07, 2013, 09:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

This has probably been answered before but can someone tell my how you know which L-series Canon lenses can be used on an APC camera.

I have a Canon 7D and am looking at a 24-105mm L series lens, but I am told that some full frame lenses cannot be used on non-full frame cameras.
Yet I have a 100mm L series macro that I can use on my 7D

now I am confused, and would like to know how and where I find out what I can use.

hssutton

'L' lenses are designed to work on full frame 1.3 and 1.6 sensors so you will have no problems whichever 'L' lens you purchase.
However due to the crop factor especially at the wider end you may find some of the APS-C designed lens better to work with. I have 4 'L' lenses but for my walkaround lens I have the 17-55 f/2.8. I used the 24-70 on my full frame 5D, but this proved to be a little long for the 7D crop camera

2Beers

Quote from: hssutton on November 07, 2013, 10:31:59 PM
'L' lenses are designed to work on full frame 1.3 and 1.6 sensors so you will have no problems whichever 'L' lens you purchase.
However due to the crop factor especially at the wider end you may find some of the APS-C designed lens better to work with. I have 4 'L' lenses but for my walkaround lens I have the 17-55 f/2.8. I used the 24-70 on my full frame 5D, but this proved to be a little long for the 7D crop camera

Any L series lens will work on an  crop body but EFS lenses will not fit a full frame

spikeyjen

Quote from: hssutton on November 07, 2013, 10:31:59 PM

thanks for your responses,
are you suggesting that the L series 24-105mm might not be the best choice for a 'standard use lens' on my 7D? I have an 18-270 Tamron, that I love, but I'm a bit sus about the focussing (very slow) and my eyesight doesn't always support manual focussing.

What do you mean by
"I used the 24-70 on my full frame 5D, but this proved to be a little long for the 7D crop camera"

hssutton

thanks for your responses,
are you suggesting that the L series 24-105mm might not be the best choice for a 'standard use lens' on my 7D? I have an 18-270 Tamron, that I love, but I'm a bit sus about the focussing (very slow) and my eyesight doesn't always support manual focussing.

What do you mean by
"I used the 24-70 on my full frame 5D, but this proved to be a little long for the 7D crop camera"
[/quote]

24 mm on a full frame camera is exactly that and makes it a reasonable walkaround lens, but on a Canon APS-C with the 1.6 crop factor the 24mm is equivalent to a 38mm lens. which IMO is not a wide enough field of view for a walkaround lens

Harry

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.