• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 87
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

A Monthly Competition?

Started by DigiDiva, July 13, 2014, 08:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

Would people be interested in entering a monthly competition if one was started? Not one where we particularly go out and take an image specifically for the comp, but where we can also draw upon our archives and enter images that have already been taken. How many of us have images we relly love that just sit on our hard drives 'gathering dust'. This way, we get the chance to not only re-visit our archives of we can choose to take a new image, for a monthly theme.

I'm hoping people wont just groan and say 'not another monthly comp' but  will give it some thought.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

kerbside

Monthly would be ok with me, especially if we can utilise a pic already in our archive.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Have seen this work in other forums and the quality of entries are rather high because the entrants have had time to either take and improve an image over the month or to chooses images they already have that are high quality.

Reinardina

Would it really attract more attention than the weekly competition?

Images you really love, can be posted in the galleries, and if people used the 'Golden Shots' thread a bit more frequently, images that gather dust on this site, might get a regular airing.

There are also two rarely (these days) used threads: 'Post your best shots here,' and 'Edit of the day,' (or something similar).
More extensive use of these threads, might put more deserving images in the limelight.

That said, I am not against a monthly competition.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spinner

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 13, 2014, 08:53:05 AM
Would people be interested in entering a monthly competition if one was started? Not one where we particularly go out and take an image specifically for the comp, but where we can also draw upon our archives and enter images that have already been taken. How many of us have images we relly love that just sit on our hard drives 'gathering dust'. This way, we get the chance to not only re-visit our archives of we can choose to take a new image, for a monthly theme.

I'm hoping people wont just groan and say 'not another monthly comp' but  will give it some thought.

I'm up for that. Nothing disappoints me more than seeing a weekly comp roll out and think, gee, I had the perfect shot a month ago, a week ago, 10 yrs ago (ok that's an exaggeration :2funny:).
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

DigiDiva

Haha Spinner 10 years! Not had my camera that long. I have just entered an image that I took in March 2011 that I had almost forgotten about, until I remembered it when a monthly theme was announced in another forum I use. maybe we need a poll setting up like the weekly comp.

Its a shame the threads you mention Reinardina aren't used to their best.

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on July 13, 2014, 02:42:15 PM
Quote from: DigiDiva on July 13, 2014, 08:53:05 AM

I'm up for that. Nothing disappoints me more than seeing a weekly comp roll out and think, gee, I had the perfect shot a month ago, a week ago, 10 yrs ago (ok that's an exaggeration :2funny:).
You mean you taking the 'perfect' shot?  :P :legit:

jinky

TBH one comp is enough for me and I wouldn't be bothering. I might  throw the odd one in with a reworking if it was just a critique thread that was used but not interested in  voting /  votes. I fear there might be more negativity from those not interested in comps feeling such threads take over - even if nothing is happening on others.

spinner

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 13, 2014, 03:46:45 PM
Haha Spinner 10 years! Not had my camera that long. I have just entered an image that I took in March 2011 that I had almost forgotten about, until I remembered it when a monthly theme was announced in another forum I use. maybe we need a poll setting up like the weekly comp.

Its a shame the threads you mention Reinardina aren't used to their best.

My curiosity was peaked so I went into my 'archives'. I began using a digi camera in '02. It was all snaps back then nothing competition worthy ;D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Jediboy

I'd be up for a monthly comp.  :)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

DigiDiva

Well, I might set one up for August neared the end of July and see how it goes. If it flops, nothing is lost.

Reinardina

Jinky has a point.

The popularity of competitions has taken a nose dive, maybe because of the holidays, maybe because people are getting blasé.

Maybe it is time to give the competition a holiday too. Till October, or maybe even forever.

In the mean time we can use the 'Post your best shots here' thread to air our masterpieces.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

spikeyjen

I'm more likely to be a regular in the monthly comp than the weekly comp. I find the timelines too hard for the weekly  (unless of course you have an additional weekend as suggested). I like the idea of being able to work something older as well.

Simple

I might be more inclined to submit images in monthly comp as well. Just can't cope with the stress of weekly ones.

kerbside

Thought about this a bit more today and looking at the weekly posts they have died off in recent months/weeks, the question is, is there enough interest in the competitions in general to support a monthly one as well???????
:( :(

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.