• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

I need your opinions on two photos

Started by Sarasocke, September 20, 2010, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

What do you think of these two photos? The more pleasing, technically correct, whatever. Which one is best?

or

The second one is pretty, but I find the first unusual. I did think of smoothing out her lips a bit one number one.

Thanks for your help!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Graham

Ok, I'll go first.
                         As you said the second one is a nice competent head shot, but nothing to get overly exited about , unless you are related to the lady (Or want to be!)
                         The first is more interesting (to me) but I find the crop a bit tight. I would like to see a bit more shoulder and some negative space (as I believe it's called.) to the top and left.
                         I'll leave any technical considerations to those more qualified.
                                            Hope that helps.    Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Sarasocke

Thanks Graham!
On the first shot I was trying to be clever by breaking the rules  8) I sort of wanted her to be looking at the wall. The photo hasn't been cropped at all .... maybe this could be better

I guess neither are exactly "award winning"  :)

QuoteOr want to be!

Might have to wait a bit - she's only 14!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

Yeah, pretty much what you and Graham said.

Second is nice enough.  It's like a very competent passport picture.  Would do for an avatar / magazine headshot.  Nice but dull.  There's something funny going on in her hair to camera left.  Either you've done some repair work or it wasn't flat when you shot it and looks a bit mushy.

Don't really like the first at all TBH.  Shadow from her hair is distracting, lips are very thin and you've broad lit her.  Which makes her face look chubby when really it isn't (great way to get slapped by her).

Skin tones are varying from one to the other - if you didn't mess with anything then it's because she's getting slightly more light in shot 1.  1 looks a little anaemic and 2 looks a little orange.  (2 is better for me).

2 could do with one more click DOF (1/3 or 1/2 a stop).

Are you using a gold brolly to light these?
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Thanks Jonathan!

I've done very little repair work except for blotting out a 14-year-old's blemishes.

At the time of taking these, I didn't even have a decent flash  ::)

We took the photos in our conservatory which has light from the side and above, which I helped along with a halogen standard lamp. Don't laugh  :2funny:

We all have to start somewhere and I've never needed much studio stuff for dogs ....

Thanks for the constructive criticism :)
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

jinky

Yes I prefer the second as I don`t like the look on the first but the hair shadows are distracting. A couple of ebay umbrellas or diffusers are the way to go to soften those shadows. They really helped me a bit with portraits though I still do so few.

SimonW

I rather like both for their own reasons. Perhaps a slightly tighter crop of the second one would be my winner. You're lucky to have such an attractive and willing model.

And I have to say that I've really appreciated all the constructive criticism in this thread and learned from it. Perhaps it was brave of you to ask, but I'm pleased you did. It probably benefits a good few others as well as yourself.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Sarasocke

I will gradually extend my studio kit for sure.
Right now I've exchanged the white sheet (used in these examples) stuck to the wall with parcel tape to a blue/grey carpet which hubbie has very kindly fixed to hang onto hooks at the top of the wall.
I have my Nikon Speedlight which I can use off camera (and usually do) and an additional halogen lamp.
And I have a decent tripod which doesn't topple over with the D700 on it, leaving the more flimsy one for the speedlight.

Getting there .......

The model loves having her photos taken. She is pretty and knows it, and has been on stage since she was about 5. The whole family is very involved with Fasching (German carneval) and Jasmin has always danced. She's rather good too ....
These photos were actually taken during a shoot to produce something decent for invitiations to her confirmation in May and thank you cards. The second photo was used for the invitations.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Jonathan

Quote from: Sarasocke on September 20, 2010, 05:38:15 PM
We took the photos in our conservatory which has light from the side and above, which I helped along with a halogen standard lamp. Don't laugh  :2funny:

Why would I laugh?  Looks like it works ;)

The halogen is giving an orangey glow (makes more sense than gold).  If you like that then cool.  If not then a very pale blue gel would help.  It is contaminating her teeth a little and you may want to fix that ;)

I guess the smooshiness in her hair is because of the ambient exposure.  It's a little bit of movement from a breeze or something.
It's Guest's round

Malcolm1938

It looks to me as if you are using the halogen lamp as the main light source and using the flash to fill in.
This kills the natural shadows and takes away shape from the face. I would suggest that if you use a similar setup again you cut down the power of the flash and let a few shadows in the give more modelling on the face.

Please take this as it is intended - helpful advice to improve an already pleasing result.
Malcolm
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Sandy

Hi

i like both of them thou I prefer the second one with so much shadow of her hair across her eye.

Sandy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.