• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123
  • Google
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Mmmm! What to do?

Started by Graham, March 11, 2010, 05:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Now then , as you may know I do a fair bit of "Gig picery". This involves contacting agents, promoters, managers and so on for photographers accreditation.
     I have been granted permission to photograph a "Major covers band" next week. So far, so good.
     A line in the email states "We would like high res copies of all photos taken and we will allow you to stay for the whole show."
     When I say they are a major covers band , that means that they are profesional musicians and It's how they've all made their living for the last twenty odd years. But being a covers band the images would be of little comercial value outside the bands own publicity machine.

So. Should I do it?

My first thought is that they are not having "All photo's taken". Only the ones I am happy to release. And that I am only going to give (ie Gratis) them web size pics , which is my policy anyway.
        I already have my own thoughts on how to proceed, but I would be very grateful for any of your thoughts.
                                   Graham. :-\

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Malcolm1938

Hi Gaham

The phrase "we would like" does not in my book mean "we expect to get".

I would reply to their email stating that while you are happy to supply VGA images of shots you consider keepers you charge for hi res images so do they really want them all at £xx.00 each.

If they say you cant go does it really matter because it looks to me as if that's your decision already unless they back off.

Whatever happens - Good Luck
Malcolm
FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

skellum

I would offer them the web sized pictures as normal and suggest any that they like in particular can be supplied in high resolution at a agreed price. Or a reduced rate with the inclusion of your accreditation on all future use..... Hope this is a help in your decision......Regards, Dave... :legit:

Graham

Hi folks and thanks for the replies.
          I've mailed them back offering to supply all photo's processed ,which is what I would do anyway (They clearly have no idea just how much junk I delete :2funny:)
          I've said that they will be supplied ready sized for the web/MyFace etc.
          I worded it in such a way that they will be expecting Annie Leibovitz's photography teacher.
          If they insist on full size images I will politley decline their kind invitation and stay in and watch Masterchef instead.
                         Watch this space for the reply.
                                    Cheers for now.  Graham. :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Graham

Well, they've just got back to me and are happy with my terms.
    The band is "The Bootleg Beatles" and it apears that there will be a stand in "Paul" on the night and they may want me to attend on another night
    with proper pretend "Paul"! If that's the case they'er going to have to pay me! 8)
                           Anybody seen them?
                                                  Graham.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Had them at the Night-out in Birmingham about twenty-five years ago or so.  :o

Bigbill

Hello Graham,,,,,

I went through a phase in Sheffy of trying to get into the local music scene,,,,,and binned it,thing is around here NOBODY gets paid,half the time that includes the Muso,s,,,,,,,
Only people making money are the venue owners via £3-50 CANS of crap lager,,,,,,this actualy hurt my progress in one way in that i now dont do any bands(though i have a biggie coming up in May-more later),
But,i,m glad i stuck to my one main principle,,,,,,no pay NO ME  !!!!!!
G your good at what you do,,why consider working without pay,,let alone giving anything away for free,,,,,,sorry if i seem finalistic but i learnt a long while ago,you can do a whole lot of work for nothing !!

Shine On

picsfor

Quote from: Bigbill on March 15, 2010, 07:52:52 PM
G your good at what you do,,why consider working without pay,,let alone giving anything away for free,,,,,,sorry if i seem finalistic but i learnt a long while ago,you can do a whole lot of work for nothing !!

Question is Bill, do you think the freebie work helped to build up your confidence to realise that your work was good enough to be paid for or did you just have too many friends you wanted to help?
It strikes me that all togs seem to do some pro bono stuff whilst they are perfecting their style and getting their name out there.
The difference seems to be when they reached that point which you referred to as "no payment - no me"

I'm glad i can still enjoy it as a hobby.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Shivery Sheffy,,,,

Thats a Q each person can only answer for themselves,,,,
LOTS of togs do LOTS of work for free on the music scene round here,,,,,,
I dont,,,,,just go see any gig around here and there will be the eager tog,,,working away,sending pics to various websites etc etc and thats then the end of it,,,
Good luck to you G,,hope the scene there is more rewarding than it is here,,,
Footnote,,,,,,sheffy mob the Arctic Monkeys gave all their early stuff away for free because of the scene round here,,,,,,look at them now !!

Shine On

Graham

Ok, so I did it!

Thanks to Bill and Andrew for the comments re payment.
          Bill, it's kind of you to say that I'm good at what I do (As big a compliment as I could ask for.). If I did'nt do it without pay, I would'nt do it at all.
          I get a hell of a "Buzz" out of it and money is'nt part of the equation as I have a full time job and to be honest if I was being paid to come up with the goods then the presure would be doubled and I suspect I would'nt enjoy it so much.
          I "work" for a council funded charity which encourages young musicians by putting on workshops and so on showing them how the buisness works and how to make the most of it. Six or seven times a year they put on a show at Derby's Assembly Rooms where the get to play on a big(ish) stage with profesional sound and lighting and an ace photographer (Me stupid! >:() who provides them with little webpics which the can stick on their "MyFace" sites. This gives me an oportunity to exersise my trigger finger and I get a warm&fuzzy feeling seeing the the kind of folks that we all seem to give a very wide berth when we meet them on the street doing something positive with there lives.
         A couple of weeks age I had an email from the organisers saying that they had recieved the finance for the next years shows and that they had been able to "Find" £150.00 for me in recognition of my efforts. I've never made any noises about payment, it's just something they decided to do.
         Through this I have got to know the venues managment and when a show comes up that I fancy photographing they give me the kind of contact details you don't find on any website.
         I recently photographed Beth Nielson Chapman and as it was a particulaly "Intimate" show her managment were anxious that I be as discreet as posible. The email of thanks and it's comments on my "Professionalism" has since been framed!

Thanks again for the interest.  Graham.

PS In a couple of weeks I,ll be snapping those N-Dubz chaps (Yo B!tch)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

Nice piccy Graham - and a bit more respect for yours and others efforts in getting these shots after trying this type of photography the other week.
Like you, i was not being paid or any thing, pretty much there to support the guys cos i work with one of them, but they have used some of my pics on their myspace and other sites and credited me with a link to my Flickr page - and i'm chuffed to bits.

Unlike you, i do not think being paid would have made any difference on the pressure to get the shots. Once i have a shot in mind i put myself under enough pressure to get the shot so payment would not really help - not least of which i only have a single body kit at the moment and i would need to be offered considerably more than a few hundred quid to make it worth my while to commit to a paid for event so i could cover the hiring or purchasing of a second body.

It seems like you have a nice arrangement there and my view is enjoy it whilst it is working...
Oh - and "respect   8)" on getting to shoot N-Dubz

greypoint

N-Dubz - never heard of them but I suspect ear plugs might be the order of the day  :2funny:

Graham

Quote from: greypoint on March 20, 2010, 03:38:05 PM
N-Dubz - never heard of them but I suspect ear plugs might be the order of the day  :2funny:

Here you are Sue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nj1Ck_k53U      

Graham.  :-\                               

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

picsfor

see - bucket loads of piccy opportunities. Probably need 3 or 4 sets of batteries for the flash gun and all of my 16gb of memory cards...

greypoint

Ah yes - singers who don't actually sing [at least in the few seconds I listened!] - just talk in the same odd way to a backing track......this stuff has always passed me by entirely I'm afraid - must be an age thing 8) ....and some people say jazz is'nt music!!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.