• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 31
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 19
  • Total: 19
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Canterbury Meet 4th July (Sun) Note New Date

Started by picsfor, May 27, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

During the time at Cornwall, a discussion arose about tripping down to Canterbury - so this post forms the proposal for such a meet.

Now confirmed for Saturday 3rd July.

Meeting point is at Jonathan's Gallery and a tour. Details at PeoplebyRyan.com  :tup:
Into Canterbury via the West Gate (Gardens) and then into the town for a bite to eat.
After lunch either into the Cathedral (£8 entry fee but worth it cos you can use a tripod) or some of the other attractions - and there are plenty.

There is much to see and photograph and it will not all be covered in a day. Good weather will probably make it a long day.
There is plenty of choice for refreshments.

I suggest that road transport would be best for this trip as the journey time will be shorter and if the costs shared - much cheaper.

irv_b

Top stuff Andrew! I'm in for it should be fun  :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Jonathan

26th I have a wedding all day.  Other 3 days AT THE MOMENT are clear (though I often use Sundays for short notice client meets.)

If I'm still free on the day then we could start with a  tour of my gallery (really, that won't take long) and take it from there.

Some ideas for things to do in Canterbury (copied from an email I sent Andrew ages ago)

Stuff to photograph in Canterbury....

Cathedral (yeah obvious) but they let you take tripods in and everything.  If you do go then make sure you visit the Chapter house (go outside into the cloisters and wander)
Boat rides.  There are 2 spots for this.  There are the punts down near Westgate (see later) and the tourist boat trips near the Weavers House.  If you like that kind of thing then the tourist boats are an enjoyable trip (or they were about, err, 15 years ago...)
Westgate Gardens - go to the Westgate (big Roman arch at the end of the highstreet) and as you are heading out of town take a left.  This is where the punts are.  The gardens always look lovely.
Palace Street - lots of odd little shops (including the crooked door one), pub signs etc
Miller's Arms - not just a place for a sandwich and a pint - there's a mill race there too.
Buttermarket - always lots going on and a nice pub.
Don't know if St Augustine's Abbey will be open (it's owned by the King's school and they can be a bit funny)
It's Guest's round

picsfor

And the likely hood of you booking something up on Saturday 3rd July?

If that day is gonna be free maybe that would be the best day to visit?

Can definitely echo the West Gate Gardens and the Cathedral - didn't get to see the other stuff!

Eileen

Sounds good to me Andrew.  :) Look forward to seeing you all there, and hopefully we will find a time when Jonathan's free too.

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on May 27, 2010, 04:06:06 PM

Who knows?  A week or so I only had one wedding in July.  Now I have 3 and that's the only free Saturday ;)
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

picsfor

You'll get some more.

There's next year - where you might get 2.

Of course you can always arrange your own with other fellow togs in the Frankfurt area...

Sandy

Shame but not sure at the moment whether I can make the Canterbury day. Iam doing a evening class that meets on Sat to take photos. I will let you know later if Iam free. Sure you will have a great time and get loads of photos.

Sandy

Jonathan

Quote from: Sarasocke on May 28, 2010, 12:07:04 PM
I'm jealous.

Don't be.  They are pretty downmarket affairs.  Practically slumming it.

They are here here and here .  Nothing to be jealous of.

Now if a prospect I picked up yesterday works out then you'll have reason to be jealous ;)
It's Guest's round

irv_b

Quote from: Jonathan on May 28, 2010, 07:44:51 AM
Quote from: picsfor on May 27, 2010, 04:06:06 PM

Who knows?  A week or so I only had one wedding in July.  Now I have 3 and that's the only free Saturday ;)
Well if it gets taken, I'm sure that you could sweet talk the bride into letting us all gatecrash the wedding Jonathan  ;D
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

krennon

Gosh darn it another meet I can't make... :'( going to Devon on 25th June right through until the 6th July...
Have a fab day out though guys and gals and maybe one day I'll make one of these darn things....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

picsfor

Keith,

there will be many others as you know. I suspect this will not be the only trip to Canterbury.
I know i still have room for 3 or 4 more trips given how much there is to view and photograph.

krennon

Thanks Andrew it just always seems that when I check the meets either myself or Georgia has arranged something already lol never mind I am sure there will be many other meets as you say.
I did suggest to Martin after the Hyde Park shoot last year that maybe we could do a Brighton shoot, as I would love to try and get some nice shots of the lanes and so on, plus of course the obvious old "burnt out pier at sunset shot". I reckon we could have a right royal day out, and we could either get the train down there (so we could sample so local bevvies in the local hostelries) or depending on how many people if any are up for it I would be happy to drive down (now the proud owner of an S reg Mondeo fully loaded with electric everything and air con) if people are happy to chip in for the old gogo juice....As I said though have a FABULOUS day out guys and gals and post some shots....suffering from a lack of inspiration at the moment...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Jonathan

So....what's happening on this?

3rd July is still open for me so if you want a nose round the gallery we could do that.  (I might be yawning a bit as I have to drive to Somerset and back that week.)

Special bonus for anybody who feels like making a weekend of it (no, you'd have to find your own accommodation...).  I have a new shoot location I'm dying to try.  It's a beautiful house with 30 acres of gardens, woods and outbuildings.  Oh and a swimming pool.  Total cost to hire is about £200 :( but if anybody wants to join me on a group shoot on the Sunday we can split costs.  I'll bet I could persuade a couple of models to turn up....
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.