• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photo of the day or edit of the day

Started by oRGie, March 24, 2009, 10:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on September 09, 2013, 07:26:59 PM

Quote from: ABERS on September 09, 2013, 05:09:44 PM

I took this at the Museum of London some good while ago and it's a bit of a cheat really. The mannequin was lit by the person that placed her in a reconstruction of the Biba shop from the '70's. Went there quite a few times with the Missus and the kids, a wonderful experience.

All I've tried to do is enhance it and present it so that she is 'in your face somewhat'

I like it very much, especially the 'in yer face-ness' of it.
Reminds me much more of the twenties though, than of Biba.

I agree with Reinardina, as she looks like a Flapper Girl. Still a cracking shot and processing.  :tup:

Okay, here's one I worked on today.

With a bit of time on my hands today, or rather getting fed up with what I was doing, I played around with one of the shots.
The original is of us, mother and daughter, leaning over the railings on the water's edge. Our shadows in the crystal clear water, that is.

I mixed it with a shot of flaky paint and played with saturation and a few filters to get to this Van Gogh/Gaugain inspired 'painting.'
I called it 'Watching the Storm.'

It has already been compared to an iss image, which I did not see immediately.

Another cracking process and it does suggest Gaugain. Perhaps it might persuade you to try real oils and canvas.  :tup:

Reinardina

The only oils I handle with any skill, are cooking oils and bath oils.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Okay, here's one I worked on today.

I called it 'Watching the Storm.'

It has already been compared to an iss image, which I did not see immediately.

You've certainly arrived at an image that is both eyecatching and interesting, in as much firstly it makes you look and secondly it makes you wonder. The two things that a photograph needs in order to make an impact and keep the viewer looking longer than a passing glance.

What needs to be overcome by this type of image is the view by many that it's not photography but a manipulation of something that started out as a photographic process and ended up as an excercise in Photoshopping. The straight line of the railing retains that 'photograph' feel.

I don't see an iss image rather a slice through quartz or some such other rock.

I like it and also have learned what iss is.  ;)   :tup:

P.S. Thanks Oldboy.

SimonW

Very clever, good to look at, eyecatching and interesting too. Really holds the attention. I'd hang it large on the wall.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Reinardina

I didn't know what iss was either, had to google it. When I found what it was, I thought everyone else knew and I was the odd one out. Glad I'm not!

Thank you for your comments Alan. Much appreciated.

Maybe because I'm relatively new to photography, I have no problems with manipulated images. I love experimenting when I have images suitable for that sort of work.

Thank you Simon. Hardly ever seriously think about hanging things on the wall. Maybe I should.

Beaux Reflets

Nice works Alan and Reinardina,

Thought I would pop the latest edit "Dance On" into the thread

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on September 10, 2013, 12:39:49 PM
Nice works Alan and Reinardina,

Thought I would pop the latest edit "Dance On" into the thread

They're obviously magic shoes, with their golden glow. How did you do that?

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on September 10, 2013, 03:10:52 PM

I wish I could find where I noted it down  :doh:  I did the main conversion awhile back and decided to retouch the insoles ready for enlarged prints.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

ABERS

Certainly a 'Magic' glow. The neutral background certainly enhances the overall effect.  :tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on September 10, 2013, 03:38:56 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on September 10, 2013, 03:10:52 PM

I wish I could find where I noted it down  :doh:  I did the main conversion awhile back and decided to retouch the insoles ready for enlarged prints.

So the secret is (temporarily?) lost, which makes it even more magic!

This thread has had me playing with filters again; thoroughly enjoying it.
Ended up with some very elegant abstracts. Still playing!

Reinardina

Decided to 'show off' two of the abstracts I did today, and hung them in an exhibition.

Far from perfect, I know, but while I have your attention can you help me out?

The cut out is not really sharp. I could do better, but I'd never get it as sharp as Alan in his shot earlier in this thread.
How did you do it Alan?

And also, I just 'hung' the images on a textured background, but it is all 'flat.' How can I get the 90 degree angle, where floor and wall meet? Played a bit with perspective, but couldn't get it, and I'm running out of time now. Got other things to do, but I will be back when I have some spare time to play again.

ABERS

Quote from: Reinardina on September 10, 2013, 08:28:39 PM
Decided to 'show off' two of the abstracts I did today, and hung them in an exhibition.

Far from perfect, I know, but while I have your attention can you help me out?

The cut out is not really sharp. I could do better, but I'd never get it as sharp as Alan in his shot earlier in this thread.
How did you do it Alan?

And also, I just 'hung' the images on a textured background, but it is all 'flat.' How can I get the 90 degree angle, where floor and wall meet? Played a bit with perspective, but couldn't get it, and I'm running out of time now. Got other things to do, but I will be back when I have some spare time to play again.

In this instance I used the polygonal Lasso tool to isolate the subject from the background, and then, using curves darkened the background down. I usually can get a decent cut out using the qick selection tool.

Your problem with the wall/floor relationship, I've no magic answer but I would try three different approaches, all in photoshop.

1. Cut off the picture just below the lady's skirt. Her legs are a bit fuzzy anyway.

2. Insert some form of barrier at the bottom of the pic maybe a bench or some such thing, once again halfway up the legs, giving it some depth front to rear.

3. A bit more fiddly this one. Before you insert the lady, using the poly lasso tool, draw in a skirting board about where her knees will be, fill with colour (black) and fill the remaing bottom with white or grey or whatever floor colour you decide. Then insert the lady wherever you want. I don't know if it would work but it's an approach I'd give a whirl. You could try and insert or draw her shadow from her heels to the bottom right hand corner.

That should pass an hour or two.  :doh:

Reinardina

Thanks Alan.  Can't wait to have another go, but it's my 'volunteer ranger' day, so it'll have to be postponed.

ABERS

Thought I should see if my suggestions would work. ???

The image below is what I've ended up with.

Discovered that you need to make the background first, i.e. the wall and floor. Blank image add the floor, in this case from one that was handy, add skirting board, add colour to wall if desired, flatten and save a jpeg.

Insert pictures and lady and arrange as required. Not too sure about the perspective but it's as near as I can get it without too much work.

It's a combination of suggestions 1 and 3.

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on September 11, 2013, 02:31:07 PM
Thought I should see if my suggestions would work. ???

The image below is what I've ended up with.

Discovered that you need to make the background first, i.e. the wall and floor. Blank image add the floor, in this case from one that was handy, add skirting board, add colour to wall if desired, flatten and save a jpeg.

Insert pictures and lady and arrange as required. Not too sure about the perspective but it's as near as I can get it without too much work.

It's a combination of suggestions 1 and 3.

Clever stuff!  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.