• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 69
  • Total: 69
  • Bingbot
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY

Started by ABERS, December 15, 2009, 01:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

If you are into street work, below is well worth a look. Gritty and realistic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7352884@N02/sets/72157600098940340/show/

jinky

Some good stuff there Abers - thanks for the pointer

Oldboy

Some cracking shot there but I'm not sure you would be safe with the children or toilet shots today. I would guess they were taken in the 1960's but they all show a side of life that those of a certain age can relate to. It works well in B & W as it give a drab grittiness to the scenes.  ;D

nickt

I would say they're the mid to late 70's. The prices are in decimal. There's one shot showing 'The Long Good Friday". Not sure whether that was the late 70's or very early 80's. Thought provoking shots.

Nick

picsfor

Some really interesting shots in that collection.
I'm gonna say they cover the late 60's through to the early 80's.

Early 80's because Pope John Paul II is shown in a photo - and i think that was early 80's
The fashion in some of the pictures point to late 60's.

Whatever the dates - worth a look.

oRGie

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Love the grainyness, time to turn up the iso and select monochrome for some street shots :)

Does seem to span a couple of decades, some images were quite familiar, having grown up in the not very trendy fulham in the mid sixties.. saw a P reg taxi, so what year would that have been registered ?  spotted a bay city rollers scarf in a cafe shot too :)

irv_b

It always seems more real to see pastimes in  b&w. Thanks for the link Alan :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

anglefire

Quote from: oRGie on December 16, 2009, 12:44:32 AM
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Love the grainyness, time to turn up the iso and select monochrome for some street shots :)

Does seem to span a couple of decades, some images were quite familiar, having grown up in the not very trendy fulham in the mid sixties.. saw a P reg taxi, so what year would that have been registered ?  spotted a bay city rollers scarf in a cafe shot too :)

P reg was Aug 1975 to July 1976.

What I also noticed was that the pictures were generally not technically perfect - but it doesn't seem to matter as they convey the life and times. Today, I recon half of them would end up in the bin!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

ABERS

Quote from: anglefire on December 17, 2009, 05:50:34 AM

What I also noticed was that the pictures were generally not technically perfect - but it doesn't seem to matter as they convey the life and times. Today, I recon half of them would end up in the bin!

Those were the days when you went out with two rolls of film and made the most of what you had, the 'bin' was not the luxury we have today. The author had a great eye for the 'one off' and I'm sure technical perfection was the least of his worries, it's the story he was after not a sanitised manipulated image.

picsfor

But surely 'the story' is just as important today?
Getting the picture comes first - bringing it in with IQ achieved to perfection comes second.
Well that's my take on street photography.

Oldboy

In street photography the moment is more important than the quality. If you spend time checking the composition you will miss the moment and also alert the subject to the fact you are taking a picture.  :tup:

anglefire

Quote from: ABERS on December 17, 2009, 08:53:18 AM

Those were the days when you went out with two rolls of film and made the most of what you had, the 'bin' was not the luxury we have today. The author had a great eye for the 'one off' and I'm sure technical perfection was the least of his worries, it's the story he was after not a sanitised manipulated image.

Yes I agree - and what I was trying to say - all I mean is that today it seems that if the image is not perfect its no good. Whereas I don't think this is always the case.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Sandy

An interesting collection of images that telling a story thanks for the link

Sandy

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.