• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 133
  • Total: 133
  • Google
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Affinity Windows Beta Release

Started by Hinfrance, November 11, 2016, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Good news everyone.

Serif has just released the Windows Beta version of Affinity Photo. You can sign up and get it free for the beta period HERE

The Affinity release for Mac was awarded Apple's 'App of the Year' in 2015.

I've got mine, and I will edit this week's entry with it.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

I tend to like the Serif software I currently use, so will give it a go - Cheers Howard
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

I've just started mucking around with it. Loading plugins is a bit of a pain - I had to do the Topaz suite one at a time, and it doesn't understand Viveza from Nik, which is a bit of shame. It also doesn't recognise On1 or Franzis plugins.

And, horror of horrors, luminosity masking returned no results in the help search!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Downloaded but cannot get it to run yet for some reason  - Ho hum

anglefire

Downloaded and running. But can't work out how it works. Managed to change a picture that looked ok, to one that was awful, but no idea how or how to get it back.

I'll try once more then if I can't make it work it will be taken off again.

I know it's beta, but it should be at a place that is at least user friendly - it's effectively a port from mac, so should only be ironing out quirks and minor bugs.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Erm, it works pretty much the same way as Photoshop. Just did a quick HDR from three dull shots using the 'dramatic' tone map preset, lightened up the foreground shadows a bit with a 10% white brush on a neutral grey overlay layer, just as I would in PS, and added a vignette by adding a fuzzy selection of the outside of the image on a new layer, blending mode to multiply, just as I would do in PS.

There are a few weird bits where I need to read the manual - I still haven't located the gradient map dialogue for example. I've got all of the Topaz plugins working, and most of the Nik ones. To me the app looks a lot like Photoplus  X8 with a more up to date skin and a number of additional bells and whistles.

In addition the video guides look pretty impressive HERE
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on November 11, 2016, 10:33:14 AM

On the beta forum one other user has reported failure to start - it seems, so far, to be related to a .net framework glitch. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I see anything new on that.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

Had another quick play and not sure I'm a fan - perhaps just too used to photoshop - or at least LR!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 12, 2016, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on November 11, 2016, 10:33:14 AM

On the beta forum one other user has reported failure to start - it seems, so far, to be related to a .net framework glitch. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I see anything new on that.

Cheers Howard, I expected it was a glitch of some sort , as every which way I have tried to get it to run has failed so far, while other reinstalled software functions OK.

anglefire

Tried again. Now uninstalled as I just can't get on with it.

Can't seem to load preloaded images into a stack, or HDR them. Just too many things that are bugging me -that and I simply don't have the time to play!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Horses for courses Mark! I've never really got on with LR - I find it infuriating a lot of the time. PS I do like though, even if Adobe do keep mucking about with it. I shall miss that when my sub expires.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

I "upgraded" to CC not long ago (The trial is now either 7 or 14 days on PS CC) and I had a quick play this afternoon after I found liquify is face aware - and does work very well - if you are into that sort of thing!

But I agree, horses for courses - I didn't like LR until release 4 came out - and then it all clicked!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Andy, there is a new version of the beta out now V1.0.5.37, maybe you can get that to install?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 18, 2016, 01:46:20 PM
Andy, there is a new version of the beta out now V1.0.a5.37, maybe you can get that to install?

Still not able to get the prog to run, but thanks for the info Howard.

Hinfrance

Affinity has now been released for Windows - £29.99 or €39.99 until 22nd December. I've just bought my licence.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.