• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 65
  • Total: 65
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Windows 10

Started by Reinardina, July 24, 2015, 07:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

I get updates on my registration for Windows 10, but MSN sends them straight to my Hotmail spam folder.
Does this mean, I 'signed up' with a cybercriminal? Or does Microsoft not recognise its own emails?

Do you get updates from Windows@e-mail.microsoft.com?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

It's informing you that Windows10 will start been downloaded from 29th July. You may not get it on that date but sometime after that. The email from them goes into your spam folder because of settings in your email program.  :tup:

jinky

Having ignored the windows 10 on my taskbar I recently agreed some updates and found it had registered me for windows 10 upgrade. I was going to leave it thinking I`d have the choice of updating or not from 27th July but then read that other automatic updates would be done to ready my machine for windows 10 until 27th July when I would be able to upgrade. I`m worried about letting it do all this so unregistered myself again. My worry is that I`ll end up with a PC like my google Nexus which has effectively turned into a machine a tenth of what it was with stupid operating system updates. I`d hate to lose / ruin software onboard that I use because windows 10 did not work with it.

What are others doing? Am I being an ostrich wanting to stick with windows 7 which works fine for me? Will Microsoft cease support for windows 7 and leave me floundering anyway or can I just go on using windows 7, even unsupported, until I have to get a new machine when it happens?

Karen

I'm dubious as well I like to keep updated but if it aint broke don't fix it. I am also worried it may not run all my software programmes. Might wait see what others are saying first

Hinfrance

Windows 10 will download and wait for you to choose to install it.

I have registered both my machines, but will not install W10 until Steinberg have confirmed Cubase compatibility. As it happens I have a friend who is a product development manager for M$ in Reading - I shall pump him for up to date information when he arrives here next Thursday.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

StephenBatey

I used OS/2 until I had to change to run certain software, and moved to Windows NT4. I stuck with this until I had to go to Win 2000, and then reluctantly moved to Win 7. My most recent computer did give me the choice of the default Win 8 or taking an upgrade to Win 7, so I stuck with Win 7. Win 8 on a tablet is hideous and terrible to use. I have no intention of moving on unless I have to. Fortunately, Photoshop is now immutable (since I'm not taking the "download all the latest bugs automatically" route (aka Creative Cloud - so called no doubt because, like a cloud on a mountain, it means you don't know where you're going and may drop over the edge at any moment) and I have no need to move on for the programs I want to run.

Ostrich? Moi? Certainly not!
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Reinardina

I ignored the emails about Windows 10 for a long time, till I read somewhere, there's no escape if you have Windows 8, which I have, so I did register.
What I fear, is that Microsoft, like Google, will try to gather far too much personal information, and that Windows 10 may make that easier.

Maybe I should change to Linux; my brother in law in Holland, runs all his machines on this OS.
He says in Germany no one runs Windows, it's all Linux there.

I like your M$ H! As that's what it's all about, I suppose.
You pump your friend, and let us know!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

kerbside

I use all apple stuff so this does not bother me. Works computers are all windows so i suppose one day it will happen there.
Don't like upgrading anything that is working ok, normally you end up with something going wrong.
Good luck Reinardina, i feel for you.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

SimonW

I had the same "what happens next" email from Microsoft, which included links to FAQs. None of those links work - they just get page not found. Doesn't inspire confidence!

Re Jinky's Nexus, mine the same after the first update and now after the latest updates it might as well be a brick (it's too big to be a paperweight). I'm considering resetting it to original factory condition then doing all the Android updates before installing anything else at all. If that doesn't help it'll go in the bin.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

jinky

Quote from: Hinfrance on July 24, 2015, 10:40:53 AM
Windows 10 will download and wait for you to choose to install it.

Is everyone absolutely certain of this. I do manual updates anyway but fear they`ll just roll it out without my say so    or I`ll accidentally go "go on then" one night after a drink or two or when tired like I did with my nexus without checking outcomes of the guinea pigs

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

At work still running XP.  We are upgrading to Windows  7 which is already had mainstream support ended. 

spinner

Quote from: jinky on July 24, 2015, 10:18:55 AM
Having ignored the windows 10 on my taskbar I recently agreed some updates and found it had registered me for windows 10 upgrade. I was going to leave it thinking I`d have the choice of updating or not from 27th July but then read that other automatic updates would be done to ready my machine for windows 10 until 27th July when I would be able to upgrade. I`m worried about letting it do all this so unregistered myself again. My worry is that I`ll end up with a PC like my google Nexus which has effectively turned into a machine a tenth of what it was with stupid operating system updates. I`d hate to lose / ruin software onboard that I use because windows 10 did not work with it.

What are others doing? Am I being an ostrich wanting to stick with windows 7 which works fine for me? Will Microsoft cease support for windows 7 and leave me floundering anyway or can I just go on using windows 7, even unsupported, until I have to get a new machine when it happens?

They're all pretty much the same. I've been updating my Mac regularly, but since the last update it's been buggy, it's shut down on me at least 3 times this week. Something I've never experienced before on a Mac. Firefox keeps giving me an error message, that Mozilla is well aware of, but can't fix. And I'm firmly behind the people calling for Adobe Flash to be dumped.

That said, I have the Win 10 update notification on my Win7 machine and will update to 10. If it's crap, at least I still have the win 7 DVD and will just to a fresh reinstall.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

hssutton

I've been running the insider Preview Evaluation build for some time now. This is on a cloned version of W7 64bit. I had a few problems initially (self inflicted), but I'm more than happy with W10, so will continue with it. However I will still keep my version of W7 updated just in case.

Harry

jinky

Trouble is I am not sure if I have got the windows 7 disks backed up properly. Dell asked me to do that when I got the PC and not sure of these things. Fear that I`d download windows 10, not like it / find programmes not compatible and not be able to restore windows 7  :uglystupid2:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.