• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
  • Google
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Jacobs

Started by John Doyle2, June 02, 2012, 12:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Doyle2

It seems that Jacobs has now gone into administration. It was a reliable source of camera equipment for many years. Such, is the state of affairs now. Who next?

Graham

Quote from: John Doyle2 on June 02, 2012, 12:54:59 PM
It seems that Jacobs has now gone into administration. It was a reliable source of camera equipment for many years. Such, is the state of affairs now. Who next?
Oh, I do hope they survive, we have a great shop in Derby with knowlegable and helpful staff. The store looks like a proper camera shop (Unlike the other place that begins with a "J".).
I have a Nikor 28 1.8  on order with them....They did'nt ask for a deposit as I am a good customer.
                    Graham.  :(
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

WillyP

It's horribly tough for 'brick and mortar' stores to compete with e-bay, amazon and the like. And far too many people go into the store, handle the product then go home and buy it online for 20% less. These same people will be crying, when they need to shoot today and something is broke, because there's nowhere to buy locally.

Mick

Quote from: WillyP on June 02, 2012, 06:59:26 PM

These same people will be crying, when they need to shoot today and something is broke, because there's nowhere to buy locally.

That's very true.  ;)

Tis a shame though, I hadn't noticed until I looked at the bottom of their page.  http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

I'm shocked, as unlike Jessops, Jacobs didn't go into a store buying spree.  :o

Cathus

That's a shame, I bought my 5D MkII from them online when it first came out

ABERS

They opened a new store in Kingston only a year or so ago. Went in to have a look and it was quite well laid out and the young man I spoke to seemed well informed and helpful. Shame it's gone tits-up.

Mind you the store was right next to the existing Jessops. Perhaps it's catching! :o

John Doyle2

It is sad to see a well stocked photographic shop shut. Especially, when it has staff, which are knowledgeable of their equipment in stock, are friendly and have the time to talk with you about photography! However, as WillyP pointed out, "It's horribly tough for 'brick and mortar' stores to compete with e-bay, amazon and the like". So, the likelihood, will be that we will see more, and more photography shop closedown, due to lack of sales!

Oldboy

Quote from: John Doyle2 on June 03, 2012, 11:52:40 AM
It is sad to see a well stocked photographic shop shut. Especially, when it has staff, which are knowledgeable of their equipment in stock, are friendly and have the time to talk with you about photography! However, as WillyP pointed out, "It's horribly tough for 'brick and mortar' stores to compete with e-bay, amazon and the like". So, the likelihood, will be that we will see more, and more photography shop closedown, due to lack of sales!

I don't think it's lack of sales but more likely greedy landlords trying to get more money out of them.  >:(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.