• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 13
  • Total: 13
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Moon Crash Will it cause any damage?

Started by krennon, October 09, 2009, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krennon

Story here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8297811.stm

Just how do we know there isn't a "fault line" in the moon, by crashing a rocket into it at a zillion miles per hour to study the rock/ice debris that is then kicked up by said rocket crashing into the surface....As the moon has a very significant effect on good ole terra firma can anyone tell me why this is a good idea....if we break the moon we cause even more damage to our already fragile planet....as R.E.M. said "it's the end of the world as we know it" or it could be.....after all the Mayans calendar stopped at 2012.....irrepairable damage caused to the moon 'cos we smacked a rocket into it...tides rise 'cos the moons broke, weather systems cause havoc, hurricanes, tornado's, flooding, forest fires.....in a word armageddon.....did they know something we don't or am I just being a real pessimistic paranoid doomsayer..... ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

magicrhodes

stevebedder

Theres a film that I saw a while ago that has a bit in it where the moon is falling apart and it's causing the earth to break up.

Can't remember what it is but it sounds similar to what you're descibing krennon.

Steve

Oldboy

As the moon has been hit thousands of time by asteroids, much bigger than this rocket, then I don't think you have to worry. Some year ago they fired one into a comet and the comet survived, and as the moon is a lot bigger, I don't think it will have much effect.  ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: stevebedder on October 09, 2009, 11:17:17 AM
Theres a film that I saw a while ago that has a bit in it where the moon is falling apart and it's causing the earth to break up.

Can't remember what it is but it sounds similar to what you're descibing krennon.

Steve

Latest research suggests that the moon was created when a planet crashed into the Earth, and knocked a chunk off which became the moon. As this occured when the Earth was young and in a molten state, explains why we can't see any big hole where the moon came from.  :2funny:

You can watch it live on NASA TV: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

krennon

Steve
Hi Steve, yep I remember that as well it was actually Dr Who, man had been mining the moon and it broke 'cos we dug to deep.....As for the asteroids hitting the moon fair comment but asteroids aren't full of rocket fuel....I reckon it could all go horribly wrong (of course it might go swimmingly as well) and as I say how do we know there isn't a fault line right where they're going to target this rocket....can we sue NASA if they break the moon?  ;)

picsfor

There's a film that I saw a while ago that has a bit in it where the moon is falling apart and it's causing the earth to break up.

Been a couple of TV/ film items on this.
The remake of The Time Machine had the moon breaking up due to human activities with ensuing chaos...
There was a 2 parter recently about an asteroid hitting the moon and causing it to go out of orbit to the point where it would collide with the Earth again
The Doctor Who episode as mentioned.

It should be noted that scientists think the moon is gradually ebbing away from the Earth and in a few millenia it will be so far away that it will no longer have any effect on the Earth tidal or weather systems.

I think we should be much more worried about colonising the moon than slamming the odd trajectory into it. Nature has already hit it much harder than we have the capability of doing and it hasn't buckled just yet.

Sleep easy - you won't need to move underground just yet!

stevebedder

QuoteThe remake of The Time Machine had the moon breaking up due to human activities with ensuing chaos...

Thats the one I was thinking of - with Samantha Mumba and Guy Pearce.

:tup:

Carlj

"Where there's blame, there's a claim"
"Had an accident, wasn't your fault? You could be entitled to compensation...."

:legit:

Hybridphotog

My guess would be that the moon won't flinch much, as it's a bit bigger than the lump of metal NASA is throwing at it, and the moon itself is a bit denser. The moon is hardly likely to break apart. So really, the only damage done would be of the NASA thing itself impacting on the moon. I'd liken the event to throwing a grain of sand at a pebble. :)

Mind you, at least NASA are being honest this time. It's not the first time they've lost something...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10498-nasa-struggles-to-contact-lost-mars-probe.html
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/giovanni/gesNews/adeos-spacecraft-has-been-lost
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Oldboy

They are trying to work out what happened as nothing was seen. Perhaps the moon is really made out of cheese and acted as a cushion absorbing the impact?  :2funny:

hevans

Quote from: krennon on October 09, 2009, 11:59:21 AM

Steve
Hi Steve, yep I remember that as well it was actually Dr Who, man had been mining the moon and it broke 'cos we dug to deep.....As for the asteroids hitting the moon fair comment but asteroids aren't full of rocket fuel....I reckon it could all go horribly wrong (of course it might go swimmingly as well) and as I say how do we know there isn't a fault line right where they're going to target this rocket....can we sue NASA if they break the moon?  ;)

The spacecraft will probably have considerably less rocket fuel (less than 5-10 kg) and latent energy than that you'd find in the average car. And people run those things into the side of all sorts of things on a daily basis. The real energy content in the projectile is it's kinetic energy, which is much much less than that of the meteors that have hit the moon in the past.

No, this will only break the part of the moon that it hits.

You can think of it like a spitball hitting the side of a supertanker.

H.

krennon

See I knew that Hugh would be along soon as the scientific voice of reason  ;)
I'm still not convinced that spending 79m USd to see whether there is or isn't water on the lunar surface is a good idea in the middle of a recession.....how many hospitals or essential operations would that amount of dosh fund.....but that's a separate argument, and if Mr H says it won't do any damage I believe him as I only have a grade 4 cse in physics...and I think that Mr H has a bit more than that on me  ;)

hevans

Quote from: krennon on October 09, 2009, 04:05:43 PM
See I knew that Hugh would be along soon as the scientific voice of reason  ;)
I'm still not convinced that spending 79m USd to see whether there is or isn't water on the lunar surface is a good idea in the middle of a recession.....how many hospitals or essential operations would that amount of dosh fund.....but that's a separate argument, and if Mr H says it won't do any damage I believe him as I only have a grade 4 cse in physics...and I think that Mr H has a bit more than that on me  ;)

To be honest, the 79 M$  is American money, so it's not out of our pocket  ;).

But to put it into perspective :o, it will have been spent over the last 5-10 years, so only about 8M$/ year. If you consider the American population is ~300M right now, that'd be about 0.03$ per person per year :-\. That's the kind of loose change that you lose down the back of a sofa, or # of pennies that you see in the street and can't be bothered to pick up because it's not worth the time or effort. :doh:

So...was it really that expensive? Compared, for example to a couple of Beckams?

H.

Hinfrance

. .  or 11,000 useless wind turbines?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.