• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 23
  • Total: 23
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Optimising photos for web use??

Started by Mick, June 02, 2010, 09:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Just out of interest, I would love to know what methods people use to upload pics to the various sites on the web.  

1: Do you optimise your pics for web use?

2: Do you resize them to a certain file size before uploading?

3: Do you resize the actual file size (in kbs / mbs) before uploading?

With the advances in broadband etc, the optimising images for web use seems to have gone out the window.  I know we have file and image size restrictions in the CC gallery, but some other sites (one in particular, you can probably guess) don't seem to, or if they do then they are imo set way to high.

What's the point of up loading these massive images

• If I can only view the full size pic in four pieces by scrolling around.
  • Spose you could steal them, they make lovely prints at that size.
  • They slow the site down to a crawl.  Especially threads with loads of images posted
  • Every page you view those pics are downloaded to your PC.

4: Is it just me.  :P
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

hevans

No,

I normally just resize for web by making them ~1024 pixels along the long edge. This usually shrinks the filesize to a manageable size and allows full screen viewing on most screens possible.

H.

ABERS

The last 3 or 4 pictures I've posted, both here and on Flickr, I've saved in CS3 using the 'Save for web and devices' system, at about 800 pixels along the longest edge.
I don't post any on 'that other' site,

I have only recently used that method when I was pointed towards it by a picture editor who asked for it in that way, for what reason I have no idea. He came back asking for Tiff files of the three images he wanted.

picsfor

Optimising my pictures for Web use?

Exported from LR2 as a jpg at 72dpi with a quality of about 70% and with a long side of either 800 pixels for the web in general (this site or Flickr) or 600 pixels for my Clickpic gallery.

Yep - i think that pretty much sums it up...

Oh - and what is 'the other site'?  :legit:

Mick

Quote from: ABERS on June 02, 2010, 04:10:50 PM

The last 3 or 4 pictures I've posted, both here and on Flickr, I've saved in CS3 using the 'Save for web and devices' system, at about 800 pixels along the longest edge.
I don't post any on 'that other' site,

Alan, I've no idea what the "devices' system" is that you mentioned,

but I used to use the Save for web option all the time.  I use Digital photo pro now though. Can't get the files size down as small as with save for web using DPP as the exif is preserved unlike save for web which strips it out of the file.

Do you resize before using Save for web, or do you resize within save for web?

Quote from: picsfor on June 02, 2010, 04:28:20 PM

Oh - and what is 'the other site'?  :legit:

Type in browser, www.dcmag.co.uk  That should give you a clue.  :D

My Gallery

OpenSea

ABERS

I have no idea about devices either Mick.

I resize within save for web.

bones615

Mick, I still follow your instructions for DPP (http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=378.0) most of the time as this is usually the only place i edit my pics, occasionally use save for web in PS & re size to 1000 on the long edge.

Simon

anglefire

[rant] What has DPI got to do with anything other than printing? Makes not a jot of difference to a image on the web.

If its 800pixels wide, then thats what it is. If you embed the file with 72DPI, then its about 11" wide. When you print it. But nothing changes.

[/rant.]

I size most of my pictures to 800pixels wide. Some sites allow more, some less, (One motor-sport forum has a max of 500 - which can be a pain.)

But 800pixels if nicked is not going to make a brilliant print, if someone was sad enough (Or desperate) to download and print my pictures. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Eileen

I resize my pictures using a PS action so that landscape images are around 900-1000 pixels wide on the long side, and portrait pictures around 850. This means they fill the screen on my monitor and I think allows for reasonable viewing. When saving as a jpeg I increase compression sizes on files which have a lot of detail so they are not excessively large.

picsfor

Quote from: ABERS on June 02, 2010, 06:34:32 PM
I have no idea about devices either Mick.

I resize within save for web.

The Devices option is about portable devices such as mobile or smart phones, net books and other 'small screen' lower processing powered devices.
If you're developing for a particular type of device (mobile phone) then you can configure devices so that images or web pages are saved in a manner that is fully optimised to look its best on a screen of that type.

anglefire

I sync some of my images with my iPhone - and iTunes sorts out the resizing so that they look good on the display.

The only I have been doing recently, is to have some images saved to my NAS drive and suitable for 1080 - so that I can display them at the optimum resolution for the TV - which goes from the NAS server to the Tv via a 100M mains borne connection. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Just Dave

For the web, eg flickr I always resize to 800px, longest side, and medium res, they print out carp, so they arent worth nicking then, but still look OK
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Mick

Quote from: bones615 on June 02, 2010, 07:23:46 PM
Mick, I still follow your instructions for DPP (http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=378.0) most of the time as this is usually the only place i edit my pics, occasionally use save for web in PS & re size to 1000 on the long edge.

Simon

Cool, glad it works for you.  :tup:

You've probably already discovered this, but if you want to convert and save or resize a single image you can double click the raw or jpg file, then go , File / Convert and save.  The rest is as before.  ;) 

My Gallery

OpenSea

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.