• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photography b*ll*cks.

Started by Reinardina, January 11, 2014, 09:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

The arty, flowery and superfluous descriptions some photographers give their shots, to explain what they try to express, have been mentioned here regularly.

I want to have a go at it too, but I will have to learn it, as I tend to weed out superfluous words, and was taught to be careful with the use of adjectives.

Can anyone give me a few links to (photography/art) sites where I can indulge myself?

I specifically want to have an arty description for my 'And then there was light' shot. If anyone wants to have a go at that, feel free!

You'll have to make it up, as it was originally just a shot of an interesting sky, and I did not want to 'express' anything in particular.
I played around with it, to see what I could 'get.' So it is more an expression of my 'creativity,' than an urge to express 'something.'

I want, however, a description that will give it that air of importance and sublime creativity (am I learning already?): in short, a description, that tells everyone this is a major work of art!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

And there's me thinking you wanted to take shots of men's wobbly bits!  :o :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

spikeyjen

" 'And then there was light', an image by Reinardina, demonstrates a mix of technical photographic skill and a touch of creative magic that makes a picture of the ordinary become a work of fantasy. Originally just an 'ordinary' shot of an interesting sky, Reinardina has managed to 'see' an otherworld, where light and form have come together to create a swirling mist of clouds and shapes, reminiscent of what one might imagine the atmosphere to be on a remote planet.

How's that!
It really is an interesting photo

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on January 11, 2014, 09:27:27 AM
And there's me thinking you wanted to take shots of men's wobbly bits!  :o :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Sorry OB, I have better things to do.

But apologies I gave this impression, even after using the *s.

I might have been able to think of a less controversial word, but this one seemed appropriate.

Reinardina

Quote from: spikeyjen on January 11, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
" 'And then there was light', an image by Reinardina, demonstrates a mix of technical photographic skill and a touch of creative magic that makes a picture of the ordinary become a work of fantasy. Originally just an 'ordinary' shot of an interesting sky, Reinardina has managed to 'see' an otherworld, where light and form have come together to create a swirling mist of clouds and shapes, reminiscent of what one might imagine the atmosphere to be on a remote planet.

How's that!
It really is an interesting photo

A good start Jen, but not halfway long enough! And, of course it never was 'a picture of the ordinary!' It was always a very clever work of insight, and high calibre photographic art. I don't think I have ever read an admission of 'ordinary' beginnings; everything is always planned from the start, and executed to perfection by whoever made the painting/took the shot.

Please keep them coming!

jinky

Use the bollocks generator I posted recently - mind you by his response I am sure Abers thought I was serious last time ;)
http://www.artybollocks.com/#abg_full

Graham

If anyone catches me using such descriptions of my "work" I would be grateful if they would come round and give me a sharp kick in the topic title!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on January 11, 2014, 10:35:17 AM
Use the bollocks generator I posted recently - mind you by his response I am sure Abers thought I was serious last time ;)
http://www.artybollocks.com/#abg_full

Thanks Paul. I'll have a look at that when I have a bit more time. Seems just the thing I need!

Quote from: Graham on January 11, 2014, 11:54:46 AM
  If anyone catches me using such descriptions of my "work" I would be grateful if they would come round and give me a sharp kick in the topic tittle!

It's just another 'skill' I want to learn. It's not something that was covered at school in Holland.

And yes, I may want to use it occasionally to see if it improves 'understanding.' (And viewing figures.) And if people spot my tongue in my cheek.

spinner

Quote from: Reinardina on January 11, 2014, 12:43:49 PM

It's just another 'skill' I want to learn. It's not something that was covered at school in Holland.

And yes, I may want to use it occasionally to see if it improves 'understanding.' (And viewing figures.) And if people spot my tongue in my cheek.

They don't have "Creative" writing classes in Holland? Or B.S. classes (the north american equivalent to boll.....) we none creative types called them.  ;)
Oh, and B.S. has only two meanings, the literal one and the other, not ever be confused with anyone's dangly bits.  ;D
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Reinardina

Quote from: spinner on January 11, 2014, 12:57:51 PM

They don't have "Creative" writing classes in Holland? Or B.S. classes (the north american equivalent to boll.....) we none creative types called them.  ;)
Oh, and B.S. has only two meanings, the literal one and the other, not ever be confused with anyone's dangly bits.  ;D

In Holland I learnt basic (school) English.

In England I 'did' some creative writing classes, but we were encouraged not to be superfluous. Sadly we never covered over the top prose.

donoreo

Just think: what would a politician say? :)

spinner

Quote from: Reinardina on January 11, 2014, 01:25:50 PM

In England I 'did' some creative writing classes, but we were encouraged not to be superfluous. Sadly we never covered over the top prose.

I'm surprised you didn't cover over the top prose just as an example of what not to do.  :)
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Reinardina

Quote from: spinner on January 11, 2014, 03:05:11 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on January 11, 2014, 01:25:50 PM

I'm surprised you didn't cover over the top prose just as an example of what not to do.  :)

It was touched on, and we read some samples, but were never required to write the stuff.

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on January 11, 2014, 02:42:21 PM
Just think: what would a politician say? :)

I tend to switch off when politicians speak.

DigiDiva

You have me thinking..........
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.