• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 112
  • Total: 112
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Is this spam???

Started by Jediboy, July 20, 2014, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

I have just noticed that the poll for the TWO comp has changed. My entry is in orange (which I have never seen before) and when I hovered over the photo title it said 'supplied by viglink' and the link took me to a random website.

Any ideas? Is this spam??
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Jediboy

I've just looked again and the link has gone??
Weird??! ???

Chris

Reinardina

It's not spam. I had it once, and Mick explained what it was, but I cannot remember the details.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

Thanks R. Would be interested to find out what it is.

Chris

Reinardina

I delved into my messages and found the following:

Mick,

Why has Viglink added a link to every 'abers' in the 'Umbrella Poll' thread, and linked it to a book on Quantum Mechanics written by a certain Abers? (Not even Alan's real name!)

Is this legit? Or some form of spam/intrusion?

Reinardina.

Hi Re.  Hadn't noticed this, as I'm using the default theme (it's easier to admin)  Yes it is legit, but an unfortunate use of abers as a auto insert link. 

This viglink system is in place to help with funding the hosting plan, it works quite well normally, although it only draws in a few pence a week on this site.  On my guitaristguild site it makes a couple of pounds per week which I guess helps.  I'll check to see if there's a way of filtering specific words.

Thanks for the heads up.  :tup:

Rgrds

Mick

Jediboy

Thanks R. That help explain it, mostly, but still can't work out why, and why it's my photo.  :uglystupid2:

Chris

Reinardina

This is just a guess, but it makes sense. (To me anyway.)

I think the Viglink system scours the site for certain words, that coincide with things they advertise.

In abers' case, it was a book written by a certain Abers. In your case it is for a DVD of something called 'Double trouble,' the title of your entry. A word for word match.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

Jediboy

Thanks for putting it in idiot proof form.  :-\ :uglystupid2:

That makes sense now. Thanks. Just never seen it before.

Chris

DigiDiva

That was a very interesting thread to read. And reinardinasexplanation made total sense
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Beryl

Yes it comes and goes for some reason
If it is in place for hosting then it is agreed it can be used on this site .

I get it now
Thank you  :)
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.