• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 183
  • Total: 183
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Licence request. Advice needed.

Started by Reinardina, October 15, 2013, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

I received a comment on one of my shots, from picsastock with a request to licence it. It's the one on the right of my 'first solo exhibition' shot. (See below.)
This is new to me, so can someone please give advice on what (not) to do?

Thanks.

PS the person requesting this, is probably wanting to start something new.
I am not at all impressed with his own photos, so I'm not sure I should be flattered!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

I'm sure there are better qualified people to advise on this, but as far as I'm aware Picassa seems to be Google's answer to Flickr and has some relationship with selling images for commercial purposes, much like the relationship Flickr has with Getty Images.

They obviously think that your image has some commercial value, but what they pay or what percentage of any fee they pass onto you needs to be looked at to see if it's worthwhile.

I can say from personal experience with Getty, don't plan on any cruises of new cars. ;)

Reinardina

Thanks Alan. I know stock doesn't really pay and have never been interested.

I first thought it said 'Picasa' which I had heard of, but it is 'Pics a stock' which made me a bit suspicious. Thought it was someone setting up stall and 'borrowing' the Picasa name.

But it is an existing website, just had a look at it. Sadly you cannot get access unless you register, so I tried to amuse myself with the terms and conditions.
A lot of legalese that would take me a day and a half to read, with my eye problem. So I cherry picked and think I'd get 20 dollar cent per granted licence or something similar. But you seem to be able to withdraw with six days notice, so that sounds rather healthy. Unless there are legal snakes in the grass of course.

I'll have to have a think and let someone else go through it.

Reinardina

Looking into stock photography, and came across this article, which might come in handy if any of you, who take photographs for a living, is questioned about the high price of a real photographer.

http://fairtradephotographer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/microstock-why-would-reputable-company.html

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on October 15, 2013, 04:44:45 PM
Looking into stock photography, and came across this article, which might come in handy if any of you, who take photographs for a living, is questioned about the high price of a real photographer.

http://fairtradephotographer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/microstock-why-would-reputable-company.html

Microstock is sold as pile it high, sell them cheap business model. The logic is that you might sell a hundred copies at £1 each rather than one image at £65 pounds, as per NUJ's suggested selling price. Corporate rate is from £800 to £2000 per day. Most are sold on a monthly, quarterly or yearly licence per image or set of images. The copyright remains with the photographer unless he sells it to the buyer, which some companies and newpapers insist on before buying. Not all photographers are happy about selling or been forced to sell the copyright of the image.  8)

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on October 15, 2013, 09:44:27 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on October 15, 2013, 04:44:45 PM

Microstock is sold as pile it high, sell them cheap business model. The logic is that you might sell a hundred copies at £1 each rather than one image at £65 pounds, as per NUJ's suggested selling price. Corporate rate is from £800 to £2000 per day. Most are sold on a monthly, quarterly or yearly licence per image or set of images. The copyright remains with the photographer unless he sells it to the buyer, which some companies and newpapers insist on before buying. Not all photographers are happy about selling or been forced to sell the copyright of the image.  8)

That's enlightening OB, thanks.
I don't think they even offer $1 per sold  image. Too much hassle for no money I fear, besides the images I can see on the front page of their website do not impress me much.
Will probably give it a miss, and wait for someone who wants to buy something for themselves. I'm getting a lot of viewers popping in on my Flickr pages, and a lot looking at older stuff as well.
It was nice to be asked though.

Thanks again.

Hinfrance

No-one has ever wanted anything I have ever done, so I'd take anything I was offered to be frank.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on October 16, 2013, 09:07:19 AM
No-one has ever wanted anything I have ever done, so I'd take anything I was offered to be frank.

With your background the 'terms and conditions' would probably be no hindrance. With my eyesight, it takes hours to simply read them, let alone getting to grips with the meaning.

I'd probably have to set up arrangements for payment etc and all for a few pence?

I don't think so, but I haven't rejected it yet.

A bit too much on my plate at the moment to really go into it.

Graham

Quote from: Reinardina on October 16, 2013, 12:43:38 PM
Quote from: Hinfrance on October 16, 2013, 09:07:19 AM

With your background the 'terms and conditions' would probably be no hindrance. With my eyesight, it takes hours to simply read them, let alone getting to grips with the meaning.

I'd probably have to set up arrangements for payment etc and all for a few pence?

I don't think so, but I haven't rejected it yet.

A bit too much on my plate at the moment to really go into it.

No Hindrance for Hinfrance!   :2funny:

Sorry, as you were. :-[
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Graham

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.