• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 232
  • Total: 232
  • Google
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Quick Response Codes

Started by SimonW, February 24, 2012, 09:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Re the small square "chequerboard" graphics beginning to appear absolutely everywhere, often with no explanation at all. Apparently these things are called QR (Quick Response) codes, and if you snap one with the camera of a smartphone with a suitable app installed it will take you directly to a web site. They can be quite simple, or very complex, and though normally monochrome can be multicoloured, and though normally sharp can be quite soft, or with very rounded corners on each block. I understand they can contain a great deal of data and unlike a bar code, it's not possible to tell by eye what it contains. So it might well link to a malicious web site.

I guess they could be incorporated, maybe even hidden, within a jpg photo file. A possible way of embedding copyright information perhaps?

Personally I've never found a use for a smartphone given that mobiles won't work in or nearby my house, so I've been unable to try any out. But I wonder what experience others have had? For example, would you risk snapping one if you weren't certain of its origin?

Trying to keep up with modern technology....

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Carlj

Simon,

Have used them from mags, to get to certain store websites. Always on wi-fi mind, I'm protective of my usage allowance. Not any concerns so far...

Carl

Markulous

I use them a fair bit - max is from 2-7,000 characters (depends on usage). Never had any probs as yet. Whilst there's personal info on my smartphone (people's details, website addys, etc) I don't keep anything confidential so not fussed by potential compromise (not that I've had anything like one......... yet!  ;))

Quote from: SimonW on February 24, 2012, 09:50:21 AM
Personally I've never found a use for a smartphone given that mobiles won't work in or nearby my house, so I've been unable to try any out.

What, no mobiles at all? Or just one of the service providers? Never have heard of a universal blackspot (other than where there's a system to deliberately cause interference - illegal boxes but you can get them)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Soodge

I've yet to find a QR scanner that works with my blackberry so have been unsuccessful in using them personally. I might give it another go in the not too distant though.

No smartphone?! I don't know how I'd survive without mine.......sad eh?
Great photography is about depth of feeling.......not depth of field! [Peter Adams]

www.sjlphotography.co.uk - it's a work in progress!

Cathus

Microsoft have a similar system called 'tag' though I've only come across one use of it, in my 'iPhone Obsessed' book it has tag scans which take your iphone browser to online videos and tutorials and further info on the photos and techniques being written about in the book, it's an excellent resource.

Markulous

I think the threat of Phone Snatching is a much greater (and more serious) likelihood of problems for any mobile!
Whatever and ever. Amen
Mark @ Photobucket

Jonathan

Quote from: Markulous on February 26, 2012, 06:56:56 AM
Quote from: Cathus on February 25, 2012, 05:29:37 PM
link doesn't work, here it is:

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/household-bills/mobile-phones/14707/protect-your-phone-from-this-growing-threat?source=1000550

Many thanks for that! Corrected now!

Hmm, a site that makes a ton of money from insurance companies suggests I buy insurance against a crime nobody has heard of.... (srsly, if it can rise 400% in an unnamed London borough without being front page it wasn't very prevalent to start with)

As for embedding QR codes in images - interesting idea.  I don't think it's possible though since the QR code has to be pretty clear to comply with standards (as so be readable).

Never thought of embedding malicious code in one.  Interesting....

Anybody brave enough to try this?

It's Guest's round

Markulous

Quote from: Jonathan on February 27, 2012, 07:42:31 AM
Hmm, a site that makes a ton of money from insurance companies suggests I buy insurance against a crime nobody has heard of.... (srsly, if it can rise 400% in an unnamed London borough without being front page it wasn't very prevalent to start with)

Kind of my point!  ::)

Though it does remind me of the hiker outside the pub who put his GPSr down on the table and had it snatched by some kid
"It's not a phone - won't make calls"
Kid threw it back!

Tried it - even my phone got bored!  :P
Whatever and ever. Amen
Mark @ Photobucket

Oldboy

Is JR trying to look cool in his new avatar?  :-*

Cathus

tried it, loaded straight away on my phone. Where/how do you get QR codes from?

Markulous

There're generators all over the 'net (tho' I use my phone) - here's one (and another code attached)

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
Whatever and ever. Amen
Mark @ Photobucket

Jonathan

I think I used this one http://onlineqrcodegenerator.com/

Take a look at the options - VCards, SMS, map locations.  I think we are going to see some interesting applications of this tech soon.

For example, sometimes I want to give contact details etc to somebody I meet.  There are apps to do this over infra red or wifi or I can text a vCard but they either involve typing somebody's number into your phone (to text it) or agreeing which apps to run (and hoping they are compatible).

Save a vCard QRCode on your phone.  To exchange just put it on the screen and have the other person read it.  If they don't have a reader then they can photograph the code and read it later.
It's Guest's round

Carlj

Actually wonder how much of a future they will have in reality, as NFC seems to be the next big thing. I believe my Galaxy S2 has it, but not unlocked as no use in the UK.

So instead of opening reader, aiming camera, hoping the glare/lack of light enables the code to be read, we'll just be holding our phones to a chip, much like an oyster reader...

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.