• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 42
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38
  • Google
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

7D initial findings..

Started by minky_monkey, October 01, 2009, 11:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forseti

Have you given any thought to a second/spare battery for your new toy oRGie? The reason is that having watched a couple of the tutorial videos that hssutton referred to in this post  here that these new batteries are 'chipped'. I take it that's another move by Canon to deter people from using non Canon batteries although if the truth be known, I've only ever used originals anyway.

All going to plan I shall be ordering the 7D on 4th Dec as that is when my preferred supplier receives new stock (most likely at reduced cost) and can then pass some of that saving onto me. No binding contract, but at this stage it looks like the camera shall be costing me €1300 which equates to approximately £1167 although comparisons really mean nothing in this case as my home currency is the 'Teuer-ro' (a German take on the Euro meaning expensive).

Edit: after thought regarding those videos. Although no indication is given that one is able to download and save these tutorials to your computer I have found that by right clicking on the zip file and choosing 'save target as' I am able to download them. Mind you, as the videos in their entirity amount to 8GB one would be advised to be somewhat selective.  :doh:
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

greypoint

What's really annoying about 'chipped' batteries is not so much the fact you can't just buy any old compatible but rather you can't use the genuine battery from another camera. This happens with the latest nikons - the ones I've used anyway - and the Fuji S5. So if you have two different bodies which use the same size battery and you're going out with one body you can't slip the other camera's battery in your case as a spare. It's a good job the latest cameras have such a good battery life!

picsfor

errrr - that's not good!
I've been known to go out on a day trip with 2 bodies that share the same battery and had a third as a spare...

It's one thing chipping them to discourage you from buying 3rd party stuff - but it's another matter when it stops you managing your stuff efficently.

How would that work on a battery grip which holds 2 batteries and could be moved from body to body!

greypoint

Not sure. At one point when I'd just bought my D300 and was in the process of selling my D90 to my friend we had 4 Nikon bodies here all using the same size battery. From memory the D50 took all of them as did the D80 [I think] the D90 and D300 would only take their own - so the spares we'd bought had to be sold with the D50 and D80 and we both ended up with one camera and one battery.

anglefire

I think you will find the official reason for having the batteries chipped is because of the in-camera monitoring that is done on batteries these days - the camera talks to the battery to find out charge levels condition etc. The charging side is probably monitored too - when they are monitored, they can be charged faster without damage.

I've not got a spare battery for my MkIII - at over £100 its expensive - and in my case not needed at the moment - I can take 4000+ shots on a charge so its not an issue for a days shoot, though for a pro that would be a different story potentially.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

oRGie

I got a spare battery and 8gb cf card and lens hood for the 15-85 thrown in, I am glad i did too as it means I didnt pay too much over the current prices, I would not be happy if I had paid the original price for body only to see it drop £400 in a few weeks!!  personelly I understand the need for retailers to make as much profit as poss, but thats just taking the michael really.. 

I dont see any reference to not being able to use the lpe6 in different bodies, you dont have to register the battery to use it or monitor power level and even if you do the camera will just update the power remaining when you switch the cam on. In a way chipped batteries seem like an excuse to just use originals, but the thrid party batteries do still work, they just dont give you any information, from what I've read so far. But I must say the battery level indicator is a lot more accurate now with chipped batteries.

The only frustrating thing about the lpe6 is that its best not to store it fully charged, well I have allways re-charged a flat soon as I get home and stuck it in the bag ready for use, but the battery lasts so long that it can be a while before its needed again, so sits fully charged and that apparently diminishes the life cycle and maximum charge they can hold.

Forseti

Quote from: oRGie on November 21, 2009, 05:37:24 PM

The only frustrating thing about the lpe6 is that its best not to store it fully charged, well I have allways re-charged a flat soon as I get home and stuck it in the bag ready for use, but the battery lasts so long that it can be a while before its needed again, so sits fully charged and that apparently diminishes the life cycle and maximum charge they can hold.

Does it say that in the manual then oRGie? I see the 7D has now fallen below £1200 (Warehouse Express) and all in the time it took you to charge the battery.  :'(
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

picsfor

Quote from: Forseti on November 23, 2009, 12:46:05 PM
I see the 7D has now fallen below £1200 (Warehouse Express) and all in the time it took you to charge the battery.  :'(

I'm sure the law of diminishing returns will kick in some where. If not, get shooting Orgie  ;D

oRGie

I'm trying to stop looking at prices now lol  :doh:   I knew I was buying a bit early, so I'm not annoyed, if I bought here I would still have to pay a lot more, but I could have saved around £100 I guess if I had waited a couple of weeks..

I think I read about the battery charge in the manual, just checked yeah, page 25, tips for battery... "Storing the battery after it is fully charged can lower the battery's performance"

Forseti

Glad I opted for the 7D over the 5D Mk2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usUtpNLSZGU . It's similar but different to the first take on this theme.

picsfor

very funny.
That clips seems to be very versatile

oRGie

Quote from: Forseti on November 27, 2009, 09:44:18 PM
Glad I opted for the 7D over the 5D Mk2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usUtpNLSZGU . It's similar but different to the first take on this theme.

Are you still waiting for the 4th ?

had a funny moment tonight, looking at some pics on my pc I took tonight, a few were black as the battery in the flashgun was dead,  I noticed tiny little solid colour squares, about 4 of them, a sort of dark red colour, s*** I'm thinking they are dead or stuck pixels, went through all the pics and yup, the little dots were in all of them!!  then I reached out and touched the monitor, the dot moved, ahhhhhhhhhhh phew :)

Oldboy

Quote from: oRGie on November 27, 2009, 11:34:05 PM

had a funny moment tonight, looking at some pics on my pc I took tonight, a few were black as the battery in the flashgun was dead,  I noticed tiny little solid colour squares, about 4 of them, a sort of dark red colour, s*** I'm thinking they are dead or stuck pixels, went through all the pics and yup, the little dots were in all of them!!  then I reached out and touched the monitor, the dot moved, ahhhhhhhhhhh phew :)

Sounds like too much Port!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Forseti

Yes, and doesn't time drag?  :2funny:

picsfor

Quote from: Forseti on November 28, 2009, 11:18:26 AM
Yes, and doesn't time drag?  :2funny:

but think how much you'll appreciate it when it arrives - and just right to get all those videos of people acting foolishly whilst they wait for you to say smile or cheese  ;) ::)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.