• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 253
  • Total: 253
  • Google
  • Bingbot
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Poll - 'SCAPE-Weekly Comp 19-26 April

Started by DigiDiva, April 28, 2015, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please vote for your favourite 'Scape

Deconstructed Landscape

2 (15.4%)
Yosemite Reflections

5 (38.5%)
The Field

2 (15.4%)
Seascape to Wales

4 (30.8%)
Run Of The Mill

0 (0%)
La Geria Vineyards, Lanzarote

0 (0%)
Woodscape

0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 02, 2015, 05:56:10 PM

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

jinky

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

spikeyjen

Thanks everyone, I'll put up the next topic soon.

My vote went for Seascape to Wales, great tree, nice sky, but I thought a little crop off the left might help a little and I can't work out if the horizon is crooked but I think it is.
I almost went for Deconstructed Landscape - great idea and would make a good topic in the future.

The Field is very pretty, and almost ethereal, nice soft colors and loved the picture, but wasn't sure that it met the criteria (my opinion)
Run of the Mill has a very crooked horizon, and I noticed that very quickly
Le Geria Vineyard  was interesting, but I would have placed the house more to the left
Woodscapes, I like these images but you really need something punchy to take it off. I would have straightened the trees (yes I can see it was taken with a wide angle), and then put something of interest (color, log, moss, rocks) in the foreground that helped you move into the trees. I also found it a little dark in the foreground but that could just be my screen.

kerbside

Yep the horizon is not horizontal Jen but in my defence it was a very quick process and something that I missed. Anyway thanks for the vote.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Reinardina

Congratulations Jen. A beautiful impression of an impressive landscape.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Ooops, forgot to add my one liner pennyworth on the entries.

So here goes:
Deconstructed Landscape: this one got my vote as I could see it on a wall somewhere. I liked that it was a bit different.
Yosemite Reflections: A classic calm and beautiful scene, but I don't think the 4:3 format suits it and the tree on the top right hand side draws my eye relentlessly. For me, not something for the wall.
The Field: pretty much perfect really  :D
Seascape to Wales: the crop works, the colours are appealing, the trees are dramatic. OK, so wobbly horizon, but my runner up choice.
Run of the Mill: The colours are a bit too vivid for my taste and there really isn't much of interest in the frame.
La Geria Vineyards, Lanzarote: I know it's what you had to work with DD, but ash is just so, well, grim . .
Woodscape: Just a little too flat and rather busy. Were you still looking for that cuckoo Oldboy?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

A few pennorth from me.

1. Mine. I saw a Facebook post by WEX (Warehouse Express as was) that posted a fairly uninteresting example of multiple  shots . Didn`t like that but liked the idea so gave it a go on a walk up the Chevin in Ilkley ignoring the run of the mill Cow and Calf Rocks with a deep blue cloudless sky - maybe I shouldn't have resisted that one. Anyway thanks for the votes H and AN Other

2 Yosemite. My runner up which might have won but for the thought that I was missing some of the view left and right with the crop and like H was drawn to the shrubbery at each side. I wanted a greater expanse but maybe your position excluded that possibility.

3. The Field - got my vote as it gave me that space. I`d have liked it aimed slightly more left to lose that shrubbery on the right and isolate the tree and maybe more detail down to the ground I foreground but pleasing enough to win me over.

4. Wales - a bit overcooked HDR in the sky detail for me and needed a crop left I think. Liked the shape of the trees and thirds making up the image though.

5.Run of the Mill - was a little flat and vivid (can it be?) with no interest point for me either I am afraid

6. Lanzarote Vineyards - was so looking forward to seeing this image as I`d messaged you saying to look out for them. I think the placement of the building dead centre and the lines taking you out of the frame just left it cluttered. Needs a little contrast punch to show that black ash spoil I feel.

7. Woodscape - nice enough woodland scene but did not stand out as much as the trunks of the trees nearest on left and did not give me the thought of wanting to be there.

I must admit I don`t think  any of this weeks images wowed me as much as I thought they might. Yosemite had the visual impact but the biggest thing missing from all the entries was that magical light that a great landscape needs to really shine through. I guess none of us were able to get out in it. I missed a few great sunset opportunities sat on my backside looking at it through the back window. I only got one nice bit of light in my range of shots on the leaf in shade and light shots on my collection  as I ended up out there just after midday which might have made that Cow and Calf shot just a picture postcard bore. I guess it`s one of the challenges of a time limited competition when chasing a great landscape.

Hinfrance

Quote from: jinky on May 03, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
I must admit I don`t think  any of this weeks images wowed me as much as I thought they might. Yosemite had the visual impact but the biggest thing missing from all the entries was that magical light that a great landscape needs to really shine through. I guess none of us were able to get out in it.

I took mine in the two hour gap when it stopped raining or being thickly fogbound that week :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

spikeyjen

thanks for the feedback guys, and yes Jinky, you are right about that missing element called LIGHT

ABERS

Nobody entered an urban or city scape, everybody's mind set on the wide open spaces.

Hinfrance

Oh, I thought about a cityscape. My nearest city is a two hour drive away,  the nearest sea three hours, but the nearest field is less than 100 metres. Which picture woud you have tried to get?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.