• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 52
  • Mick
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Wedding Photography

Started by rksmith51, August 31, 2010, 01:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: rksmith51 on September 01, 2010, 10:04:42 AM
Thanks all, having read the reviews on the 24-70 I have been given permission to order it as an early Christmas present  :dance: , I can see that with that and my existing kit I should be fairly well placed to cover most situations. I'll see if there are any weddings locally that want free cover to get some practice in. Metering and flash in indoors then going outside will be interesting and I think using other weddings is the only way to be confident and learn some technique.

Great advice from all and thanks for the encouragement.

Bob

You are going to love that lens.  ;D

I had the 14-24mm F2.8 Nikon first, like you, because I couldn't get the 24-70mm F2.8 at the time due to short supply. I ended up buying the Tokin 28-70mm 2.8 Pro for about £210. It's a heavy lens but works quite well.  :tup:

jinky

I`ve done a couple of weddings as second shooter and one as joint shooter and must say I enjoyed them immensely. So many opportunities to be creative and capture candids if you get your lens choices right. The tips listed above more than cover what Id have said that I discovered within my limited experiences. The first one I did in a really dark venue helping out Fizzio that some will know from DC Mag site. That was the scarey one when I realised I had too much kit I did not need with me and security was an issue. I also discovered the need to brush up on flash technique as with my old D80 there was no way I had fast enough glass even using my 50mm 1.8 up at 1000 iso. Check out the venue in advance and make sure you check out plan Bs for event of rain especially if she wants group shots. Buy some cheap umbrellas just in case for  bride and groom to hold and be as bossy as you like with the guest shooters who will get in your way. I found my cheeky chappy banter routine at least as useful as any photography skills I had available.
I`ve still not had the time / courage / inclination to really branch out and push myself for jobs but weddings are much more fun - if more stressful- than events gigs. I was amazed at how long the day was, how much perspiration mopping of my brow I did throughout but ultimately how much fun it was - especially when they see the shots and like them.

Good luck Bob and well done Carol

Jonathan

Pah.  You want pressure?  I just agreed yesterday to shoot a wedding with TV cameras filming me.......
It's Guest's round

Sarasocke

Yes but ....

Jonathan, you do this stuff all the time  ;)

I agree totally with Paul's comments. Be bossy. Tell people to get out of the way, especially other togs. In the group shots two of the young ladies (around 20 years old) insisted on wearing this enormous modern sunglasses, I asked them to take them off which they did very reluctantly. They were in semi-shade so they weren't squinting.
In hindsight I maybe should have worn something with my "fotos by sarasocke" on it. I think most people didn't realise that the photography was the reason I was there! I am getting braver though and did boss the guests around a bit  :P I would imagine when Jonathan's around, there's no doubt what he's there for  :dance:

I did have all my lenses with me, but then I was in Switzerland for nearly a week in total (I had a dog shoot beforehand). For instance the macro came in useful for the close-up shots of the rings etc. But this type of photo can be done well in advance. On the day I only had the 28-75mm out of the bag.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

I did read an artical some time ago, about a wedding phototog using a 400mm F2.8 lens to capture the couple coming out of the venue.  :o

rksmith51

Yeh! but he was in the next county  ;), my 24-70  lense should arrive today I'm so excited its silly .
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

skellum

Quote from: Oldboy on September 02, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
I did read an artical some time ago, about a wedding phototog using a 400mm F2.8 lens to capture the couple coming out of the venue.  :o

Must of been a Agency football photographer covering a footballers wedding.. :legit:

Graham

I seem to remember someone being advised to make a plan, then make a plan "B"..... and be fully prepared to use plan "C"!
                              Graham.

PS  You really are going to love that lens (I do mine. :D) And I rekon you could easily do the whole wedding with just that lens.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Dunno anything about the seller or the price - but if you didn't buy the 24-70 yet....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=256857
It's Guest's round

rksmith51

The lens arrived at 13:00 and was fitted at 13:02 as the packing was a bit tight it slowed me down a bit  :) I've posted an image I took this afternoon of my beautiful Grandaughter

But thanks for thinking of me. Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

anglefire

Nah, send it back its rubbish    :2funny:

Looks a nice piece of kit - and I can see trouble with the Granddaughter  :tup:
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Sarasocke

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Eileen

Lovely picture Bob. It looks like you're going to have lots of fun with the new toy!

picsfor

According to rumour, Canon are about to upgrade their 24-70 L. Probably put an IS sticker on it...
Your picture certainly gives a good reason for handing over the readies...

anglefire

There is certainly a rumour that the 1DsMkIV is going to be announced at Photokina, with also a new lens - which could well be the 24-70.

I wonder if the recently announced update to ACR and LR 3 also have the code for the new camera, but just not mentioned?

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.