• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 128
  • Total: 128
  • Google
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Canon 60D colours

Started by DigiDiva, August 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I have been told (on another forum, not here) that my colours are often oversaturated, and that this is an issue with Canon 60D's. Does anyone else with a 60D have this problem?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

StephenBatey

I don't have a 60D (the only Canon camera I have is a Canon Dial half frame camera).

I assume that this is referring to jpgs, not processed raw files? My understanding is that camera makers generally feel obliged to produce oversaturated jpg files because that is how the consumer market - the most important one in sales terms - judges cameras. I read an interview in Professional Imagemaker some years (?) ago in which a pro commented on this, and said he'd asked the maker's rep about it. The answer was that people judged how good a camera was at taking pictures by what they saw on the back screen; and if they made the results accurate, they'd simply lose sales to the other makers. Hence, they set the cameras to produce the results wanted.

You see the same thing all over the photographic market place. It annoys me intensely ever time I read a printer review and the magazine states that they made all the tests straight out of the box, rather than optimising anything because that's how most people use them. I'd rather know what it was capable of when set up properly. Rant over.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

donoreo

If you  are shooting raw then that is you.  I took a look for 60D having a problem with over saturation in jpeg but could not find one but I only looked quickly.  If shooting jpeg what picture style are you using?  Try another with lower saturation.   

hssutton

Chris.

Stephen assumes you are shooting in Jpeg, I also assume the same. If you are in fact shooting in RAW then the problem rest with you, or possibly your monitor requires calibrating. Personally I would think it's your monitor that requires calibrating.

Refer to page 90 of your manual and check what Picture Style settings you have, I would suggest you use either Standard or Neutral. I've been using Canon DSLRs for the past 14 years and the only time I've experienced over-saturation is when I switch from raw to Jpeg for when my daughter uses one of my cameras. Initially I never checked the menu's when my daughter used my camera. Now I always make sure that the camera is set to 'Standard, as I noticed all my daughter photos were over cooked when Portrait or the Landscape settings were used.

Harry

As posted my reply I see Don had also contributed. It would appear both Don and myself are in complete agreement as to your problem

DigiDiva

Will look into this - sometimes (as I have mentioned before) my camera switches to jpeg from RAW after I have used a 'set programme'. This may be why. Will also check my picture style. Thanks guys....

It all started after I posted an image of a bird I wanted identified, when the 'oversaturation' caused an argument about the type of bird it was.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

hssutton

Chris I've just been looking at the 60D manual and notice that you should also look at page 68 "Shoot by Ambience Selection" as the settings here will also play a major part to the end result. Far easier to set the camera to Raw only and then adjust in you editor.

Harry

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.