• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 86
  • Total: 86
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Free Nik Collection

Started by Hinfrance, March 25, 2016, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Google were after one of the bits of Nik code - can't remember what it was now, but they've got it and the rest is just dust to them.

No idea why it doesn't work for you or Jinky though.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

kerbside

Thanks, working with CS6 and on my Mac Pro, great.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

spinner

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 27, 2016, 05:11:47 PM
Google were after one of the bits of Nik code - can't remember what it was now, but they've got it and the rest is just dust to them.

No idea why it doesn't work for you or Jinky though.

I got it to work with Corel Paintshop by manually adding the plugins to the plugin folder.

Going to give that a try with my Adobe stuff on the Mac.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

jinky

So sick now :-[
After reading your views I downloaded niknsoftware and selected Lighthorne for my target. Result a flashing blue striped vertically screen and nothing. Impossible to boot the pc even after trying start up repair. Cannot get into safe mode start up! Nightmare. I hate Nik and wish I'd just left it with it working poorly rather than my pc not working at all!!!!

jinky

After many attempt at repair option , launching with last successful start without success I finally managed to get it started in safe mode. So "gone " was I that after putting in my password I accidentally hit the close down button. It did so and then when I restarted the pc all started up normally. Worst 40 mins  I`ve had  in ages as I`d promised a friend some promo shoots he needs for his forthcoming election campaign. Now why did all that happen? Did the Nik install jus hang everything? If I close down now will it start normally next time or give me the same grief. Do I need to set a restore point now? Need it to work next few days will all be well do you think?

One thing - Nik software will be left as it is and I have deleted the download file to avoid        doing it again!!!

ABERS

A couple of friends whose  mono work I much admire, constantly kept telling me that the only way to go was SilverFex  Pro.  I must admit I toyed with the idea many times but  I'm  a " better the devil  you know" type and stuck with Lightroom, which did everything  I wanted, or at least what I thought I needed.

So when the opportunity arose to get it F.O.C  I took it,  somewhat nervously, since my computer operation knowledge is somewhat scant, and if anything goes wrong I am limited to the shutdown  and reboot option.

Anyway, much to my relief,  the download worked like clockwork  both on L/R 4 and CS 5.

The past couple of days I've been trying to  see what can be achieved  with it , as opposed to  L/R and to date I have to report in the words of a recently passing magician "Not a lot". I  must add, not a lot that I can find useful  or satisfying.

If there's  someone who can pass on any tips as to what it is particularly useful  for  please enlighten us, that is apart from the borders option.

Perhaps a few more hours playing with sliders and things will  shed  some light on things.

Hinfrance

Paul - I've sent you a PM

Alan - you are really comfortable and skilled with Lightroom, so it would be rather strange if a new bit of 'magic' software could replace that skill and experience. I have never found LR (as you know :) ) useful for much more than cataloguing. For me a full editor like Photoshop or Photoplus is a far more powerful and easier tool to use - but that's because I'm used to them.

Although I have had Silver Efex for some time I don't use it much. My favourite mono plugin is Topaz's Black and White 2.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

Strange so many problems I love Nik and use it all the the time. I have it installed on Lightroom, but very rarely use it there as I always transfer my work to CS6CS. After a minor problem on Coral Paintshop Pro 8X nd i it easier to install it manually into the plug-in folder. I'm sure when you get used to Nik you will come to use it all the the time.

Tutorials ]https://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Nik-Creative-Effects-Workshop/123499-2.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=l3-GB-Search-Pht-Nik&cid=l3-gb:en:ps:lp:prosc:s70:279:all:bing:xct-nik_tutorial&utm_content={creative}&utm_term=[Nik%20Tutorial]

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A9mSs2nLC_lW5D4AMHpLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Nik+Photoshop+Tutorials&fr=chr-greentree_ff

Harry

spinner

Tried to add them manually on my Mac. No go, the files are 'grayed out'. And despite having used the mac for 6 yrs. I'm still not sure how to work around this.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

I've always struggled with conversion to B&W - the various ones with LR are ok, but could never really get them to work as I wanted - I used the Silver Efex and have found the conversion very nice and does do want I want. But as everything, each to there own and would never suggest one way is better than the other (That goes for camera's too - despite a bit of banter with my Nikon friends, they all do the same job)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

donoreo

I will suggest that anyone with the paid version uninstall and install the free one.  The paid one runs some software in the background to confirm proper licensing.  The free one does not have this. 

Hinfrance

I had a glitch with my OS SSD and lost a substantial chunk my software licence registrations - Nik included, so I did have to reinstall using the free version anyway. Along with loads of other, mostly music related, software.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hssutton

Quote from: Hinfrance on March 31, 2016, 09:42:12 AM
I had a glitch with my OS SSD and lost a substantial chunk my software licence registrations - Nik included, so I did have to reinstall using the free version anyway. Along with loads of other, mostly music related, software.

I had exactly the same problem and Google could find no record of my ever buying it, Strange that they informed me to update my version on the 18th March.

Harry

Hinfrance

My glitch was self inflicted - I reset the ATA drivers to get my secondary DVD drive to wake up. The SSD didn't like that.  :o
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.