• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 47
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
  • Google (2)
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 21, 2012, 08:10:46 AM
Uninterruptible Power Supply.

They're sort of necessary out in the sticks where not only does the power occasionally go off, but also the voltage can vary throughout the day too.

Thanks H. Never knew that, so my brain couldn't be coaxed there! Quite a relief.
Or should I have known it? In which case it is a sad hole in my general knowledge. (Thanks for filling it.)

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

donoreo

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 21, 2012, 08:10:46 AM
Uninterruptible Power Supply.

They're sort of necessary out in the sticks where not only does the power occasionally go off, but also the voltage can vary throughout the day too.
I have a bunch of them in the house, in the city.  I have my computer equipment connected to several and I also have my T V.  I am on satellite and if the power flicks off for just a second, the satellite resets and takes up to 2 minutes to reconnect.  It is annoying.    Speaking of which, we had a power outage last night for an hour or so.  I found out which UPSs need new batteries. 

ABERS

Got shortlisted in three categories in the B+W POTY competition some few weeks ago, sent off the required prints and CD's as requested, and waited patiently to see the outcome.

Got the results today, nowhere! :doh:

Beryl

Rain Rain and more Rain and battering winds  and we are cut off  and floods evey where.........................My camera doesn't like t so I can't go out taking photos ............That's what anoyed me today  :'(
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

anglefire

Well, yesterday - turbo on the car failing didn't exactly make me jump for joy
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Sorry to hear that Mark. The turbo on our just shy of 13 year old and 170k miles Skoda keeps sticking, especially when it's cold. Just turning the motor off and then restarting it has always got it going again, so far. There is no way I am going to pay the huge cost of replacing the turbo, so a hunt has already started for the next family car. We just hope that they new one will last as long as the Skoda has.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 24, 2012, 08:05:52 AM
Sorry to hear that Mark. The turbo on our just shy of 13 year old and 170k miles Skoda keeps sticking, especially when it's cold. Just turning the motor off and then restarting it has always got it going again, so far. There is no way I am going to pay the huge cost of replacing the turbo, so a hunt has already started for the next family car. We just hope that they new one will last as long as the Skoda has.
That's a reassuring lifetime for a *skoda...having just bought one.  :tup:

*Keeping on topic. On the two occasions that I 'phoned Skoda UK they answerd "Hello Shkoda Uk?"  :knuppel2:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

Ah well Graham, Schkoda is how it is pronounced. It's foreign, you know.

Ours didn't have a single defect until it was 8 years old, then the driver's door controller failed (I also had the same thing fail on the Corvette - maybe it's me?). In the last 12 months it's started to show its age a little bit - the A/C has packed up, the turbo sticks, the clutch pedal broke.

Back in the days before VW owned them I had one of the old 136 coupés - but with a lot of mods. Custom cam and carburettor, dropped, 6R4 brakes, high spec ignition etc. I had that one for 60k miles, and it was the most fun I have ever had on four wheels, mainly because I was younger and more childish. Although it looked pretty much like a normal Skoda that everyone was prone to poke fun at, it had a top end in the mid 120's (radared on a track) and would easily leave a 16v Golf GTI in the dust, especially around the bends. What joy, even just recalling the hoot it was to own. I must try to dig out a picture of it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 24, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Ah well Graham, Schkoda is how it is pronounced. It's foreign, you know.

Ours didn't have a single defect until it was 8 years old, then the driver's door controller failed (I also had the same thing fail on the Corvette - maybe it's me?). In the last 12 months it's started to show its age a little bit - the A/C has packed up, the turbo sticks, the clutch pedal broke.

Back in the days before VW owned them I had one of the old 136 coupés - but with a lot of mods. Custom cam and carburettor, dropped, 6R4 brakes, high spec ignition etc. I had that one for 60k miles, and it was the most fun I have ever had on four wheels, mainly because I was younger and more childish. Although it looked pretty much like a normal Skoda that everyone was prone to poke fun at, it had a top end in the mid 120's (radared on a track) and would easily leave a 16v Golf GTI in the dust, especially around the bends. What joy, even just recalling the hoot it was to own. I must try to dig out a picture of it.

Well I'm a Little Englander, Jonny foreigner can keep his silly pronunciations! :P

I got a Roomster, even though folks say it looks odd, in fact because folks say it looks odd!
You get a hell of a lot more for your money than the Merivas Iv'e had for the last seven years or so ( three years servicing and breakdown cover included.)
It's even got a heated rear screen to keep my hands warm when I'm pushing it!  :2funny:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Graham on November 24, 2012, 04:08:49 PM
It's even got a heated rear screen to keep my hands warm when I'm pushing it!  :2funny:

Hope the battery doesn't go flat!  :D :2funny:

anglefire

Something you could try in the fuel to lubricate the internals of the engine including turbo is 2 stroke oil (2SO) needs to be Jaso FB or FC as far as I can tell - it's what a lot of the Disco 3 boys are using and say it helps - not tried it myself - only because I've not got around to getting some - and being sceptical to be fair.

Reckoned to help the turbo as well as making the engine quieter.
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Matthew

Having a dream about riding a motorcycle, then waking up to the realisation that 1: You don't have a motorbike and 2: You don't have a bike licence.
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hinfrance

Quote from: anglefire on November 24, 2012, 09:48:31 PM
Something you could try in the fuel to lubricate the internals of the engine including turbo is 2 stroke oil (2SO) needs to be Jaso FB or FC as far as I can tell - it's what a lot of the Disco 3 boys are using and say it helps - not tried it myself - only because I've not got around to getting some - and being sceptical to be fair.

They do know how a turbocharger works I presume? And that there is no fuel flow through it at all? I can see that 2T oil might arguably, as a lower fraction, offer some valve train or cylinder head lubrication, but I would guess that a simple kerosene based additive once in a while to clean the injectors would be of far greater value. That and using a decent oil, which is what I always specify. I use synthetic Magnatec in both the 'vette and the Skoda; any old cr*p in the Merc - because it's worth it™.

Ah, Matt, I dream sometimes of when I used to have a bike, but when I wake up I remember my broken knee from the armco incident and that I have a beautiful wife and amazing daughter and reach for the car keys.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Graham

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 25, 2012, 08:52:22 AM

They do know how a turbocharger works I presume? And that there is no fuel flow through it at all? I can see that 2T oil might arguably, as a lower fraction, offer some valve train or cylinder head lubrication, but I would guess that a simple kerosene based additive once in a while to clean the injectors would be of far greater value. That and using a decent oil, which is what I always specify. I use synthetic Magnatec in both the 'vette and the Skoda; any old cr*p in the Merc - because it's worth it™.

Ah, Matt, I dream sometimes of when I used to have a bike, but when I wake up I remember my broken knee from the armco incident and that I have a beautiful wife and amazing daughter and reach for the car keys.  ;)
I also occasionaly feel that my motorbiking days are not yet over.  :)

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

anglefire

Quote from: Hinfrance on November 25, 2012, 08:52:22 AM

I do.

Hence my scepticism - the only conclusion that I can make from the people that have used it and have said that it has worked - is that the exhaust gasses retain some lubricant, and it is that that helps.

But yes, doesn't make sense.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.