• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 113
  • Total: 113
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Camera Insurance

Started by Jediboy, June 12, 2020, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,

I have been contemplating getting camera insurance. I have always relied on home insurance but wondered what people on here have?

Camera insurance or home insurance??

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

jinky

When I was earning from photography I took out full camera insurance with public liability and public indemnity but when I stopped reverted back to covering my photography gear as an extension on my home insurance. I totted up what I took on holiday with me to ensure I was covered when it was away from home as well as at home and although I`ve not tested any insurer with a claim it`s enough for me.

Jediboy

Cheers Jinky.

As time has gone by I have acquired more and more photography kit and now a drone. Think I'll phone the home insurance company and see what difference it makes to the policy, and then maybe get a quote for separate insurance, and then see which works best.

Chris

StephenBatey

I'm also relying on home insurance. To be honest, the equipment I take on holiday isn't made any more, and hardly ever appears on the second hand market, so money wouldn't help in replacing it.

For the curious, the camera is a Walker Titan of which only 1000 were made. If anything did happen, I'd switch to another large format camera, as I have a number.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Jediboy

I'll be honest, I've never heard of a Walker Titan.
Hopefully you'll never need to call on insurance!

Chris

anglefire

I rang my home insurer some years ago - but they wouldn't cover what I had then. I did use one of the the popular ones for the first year - but then heard very bad reports so changed and have been with aaduki ever since. https://www.aaduki.com/

I have had to use them once when I managed to drop my 100-400 out of my camera bag when in America and had no issues and the claim was approved and paid for with no quibble - even when the estimate was increased due to another part been found to be busted once its was opened up by Canon.

I do have Public Liability and Product Liability insurance with it as I do the very occasional paid shoot.

It covers me away from home - which is often the issue with using Home insurance - fine in the house........... - and 60 days worldwide.

It certainly isn't cheap - but having had to use it, worth it in my mind at least!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

Yes you have to take out the specified cover for use out of the house / on holiday and I`ve never had a problem getting cover from any home insurer given the extra premium payable.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.